August 31, 2014, 06:30:21 AM

Author Topic: Full 5D mark II Refund  (Read 2765 times)

caruser

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Full 5D mark II Refund
« on: October 11, 2011, 02:34:57 AM »
Check this out, there's an online store that offers a full refund for any 5D mark II purchased between now and the end of 2011 if the 5D mark III is announced in that time interval!

http://www.ac-foto.com/ac/shop/info.php?hersteller=Canon&id=21624

canon rumors FORUM

Full 5D mark II Refund
« on: October 11, 2011, 02:34:57 AM »

Forceflow

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery
Re: Full 5D mark II Refund
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 03:02:45 AM »
That's the second German store now that offers this deal:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,1749.0.html

Still doesn't mean much in my mind though. The risk is low and they will make their customers happy either way...
Canon 7D - Canon 50mm 1.8 - Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L - Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS - SIGMA 85mm 1.4 - SIGMA 150mm 2.8 OS Macro - SIGMA 10-20mm 3,5

Polansky

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 03:18:52 AM »
I am sorry to spoil your wishfull thinking.

But that makes it all clear that we do not have to expect a 5D2 replacement within the mentioned timeframe.

To be short: Dealers are NOT stupid (They are in the business of making money)

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 04:01:31 AM »
Still doesn't mean much in my mind though. The risk is low and they will make their customers happy either way...

Agreed.  How many people that get their hands on the mkII and use it over the next few months will want to go through the trouble of the return/pay more for the upgrade at the end of the day? (Not people that say they'll do it now).

Nice to have a little peace of mind for the consumer, even if it's self-inflicted anxiety :)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 07:40:43 AM »
Yeah, no dealer is going to make an offer like this without a fairly good degree of certainty that it's not going to pay off. If anything, they might have some better info that the next body to be announced is the 1D/s, in which case there'll be no 5D3 before next year.
The "99% probability" rumours of a 36MP Nikon D800 isn't going to help matters either (whether it turns out to be true or not, and whether canon will compete or not doesn't make much difference), people are still going to be in "wait-and-see" mode.

Kind of reminds me of when they replaced Wholesale Sales Tax in Australia with GST. Tax on cars was going down from 30% to 10%, so noone was buying cars in the months up to the switch, dealers had to drop the prices to post-gst levels to get people to keep buying cars to stay in business.
Same with the 5D2, I reckon people are finally starting to tail off with buying them, dealers are losing income, they have to give incentives to clear out their 5D2s before they're worth a lot less...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Forceflow

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 02:57:12 PM »
I am sorry to spoil your wishfull thinking.

But that makes it all clear that we do not have to expect a 5D2 replacement within the mentioned timeframe.

To be short: Dealers are NOT stupid (They are in the business of making money)

True, a good dealer can't be stupid. Yet I believe that both stores brought out those deals from necessity (to sell more 5D MarkIIs) and doing a small gamble and not from actually knowing anything.
Canon 7D - Canon 50mm 1.8 - Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L - Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS - SIGMA 85mm 1.4 - SIGMA 150mm 2.8 OS Macro - SIGMA 10-20mm 3,5

niccyboy

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 04:08:58 PM »
I think the stores know no more than us on this forum

The only advanced knowledge would be when it is ordering time.

By then I'm sure that one of them (There are plenty in this forum) would have told CR that it is coming.

I think it is an educated guess based on all of the rumor sites and what they are picking up from canon, the same info that CR guy is getting.

I think a 5dmk3 pre Xmas would sell well. Although they know it would sell so dropping mk2 prices pre Xmas and selling more of them then releasing mk3 in second quarter 2012 would also be very profitable.

I think SOMETHING pro needs to be released soon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 04:08:58 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 04:12:29 PM »
I think the really smart money would say:

Buy a new 5D2 from me today, and I'll take it back if you buy a new 5D3 from me as soon as it comes out.

As a retailer I've got your money now -- and I have a sure sale when the new one comes out.

Nothing better in retail than moving product!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 04:12:29 PM »