October 22, 2014, 05:48:00 AM

Poll

Do you have a 4K Television or monitor?

Yes, I already have at least one 4K display.
3 (3.3%)
No, but I plan on getting a 4K display in the next year.
18 (19.6%)
No, I will look into getting one when they become more mainstream.
54 (58.7%)
No, and I don't see any value in upping resolution above 1080p
17 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Voting closed: January 14, 2014, 08:13:02 PM

Author Topic: Do you have a 4K display?  (Read 8831 times)

kaihp

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have a 4K display?
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 04:41:11 PM »
But profits are only attained when the consumer seesthinks there is a benefit.

There, I fixed it for you  ;)

I will seriously consider a 4K monitor when it comes down in price .... not necessarily for photos, but for the need of "screen real estate" for general usage. I was recently comparing a UHD TV vs a FHD TV for work (as a replacement for a projector), and the ability of the UHD to do render more details just for text etc was quite convincing.
The RMB19,000 price tag for the 65" version kept me at bay, though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 04:41:11 PM »

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
  • Amateur photon abductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2014, 08:21:45 PM »
20/20 vision is by definition average. I'm a little better than that, but when I say that the difference between 1080p and 4K is blatantly obvious, I have confidence that it will be just as obvious for the average person reading this.

I also find the difference to be blatantly obvious.

I checked out the 4k TV display at an electronics store, and I was floored.

Unfortunately, at least for upgrades, my current set still works (and I hope it keeps working for a while).

The next one will have to be bigger... 63" isn't big enough. So glad I didn't buy a smaller set.

Viewers can't tell the difference at normal viewing distance, you have to be close, like 5 ft or less.  That's why video stores arrange them so that you will be close to the screen.  At 10 ft, it makes no difference.

http://www.displaymate.com/news.html#7

But, but 9VIII is a special person who can resolve 0.05mm from 3ft away. So it must make a difference to him.

I like consistent units better than 4k ;).
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2014, 07:31:38 PM »
A tad out of topic but...

My 5yo 46-inch Samsung LCD TV's panel needs to be replaced. This happened after 24 hours attached to a IPTV box.

Parts and labour will cost me $850 and a week's wait.

Went TV shopping yesterday and my takeaway is that the most basic of 46-inch LED TVs can be had for $850. Add $100 and I get a 50-inch LED TV. Add $500 and I get a 60-inch LED TV.

Power consumption of LED is a fraction of what I am getting with LCD.

Smart TVs are nice if you dont have a smartphone, tablet or computer. Wish Apple would make one, I'd be more inclined to buy a solution from them.

Of course this isn't a 4K display. I was initially planning to wait 3-5 years before picking up one. In time for a slim Xbox One & slim PS4.

Now I'm back to my 8yo 32-inch Samsung LCD TV and 4yo 40-inch Samsung LCD TV. Which is really sad considering we switched to HD cable this year.

=======================

Now for the 4K TV part.

I auditioned the following

LG 65LA9700 (65-inch LED)
Sony Bravia KD-65X9004 (65-inch LED)

Both look awesome with a 2048px on the longest side JPEG even zoomed in at 200%

Playing a 1080p & 720p MP4 with a low bitrate looks like a SD content
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 07:39:20 PM by dolina »
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2014, 07:36:49 PM »
Apparantly, someone at CES has announced a $999 4K tv.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, 08:02:35 PM »
Don: From a name brand like LG, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic or Philips?

I've tried TCL, Devant, Haier & "My View" and the image quality has a lot to be desired. GUI is uhhhhh.

======

Some fun facts that I learned on TV upgrade cycle for a typical household

- New display is bought every 6.9 years on average
- Replacing an aging CRT TV
- Replacing a first generation LCD TV
- 32-inch is the most popular screen size for developing countries
- 44-inch is the most popular screen size for developed countries
- $940 tends to be the budget for new TVs in developed countries
- Declining price is a motivation to buy
- Newer technology
- More sizes available

Source:

http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde/xchg/displaysearch/hs.xsl/120529_global_tv_replacement_cycle_falls_below_7_years_as_households_continue_to_replace.asp
http://gigaom.com/2012/01/05/tv-replacement-cycle/

==============

I like the LED TVs with WiFi and Ethernet as I can stream my vids directly to the TV. A USB plug is also useful when networking is not practical.

I'm not that hot with Smart TVs unless they sport a more uniform GUI like that of iOS or Android for phones/tablets.

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 08:06:52 PM »
A tad out of topic but...

My 5yo 46-inch Samsung LCD TV's panel needs to be replaced. This happened after 24 hours attached to a IPTV box.

Parts and labour will cost me $850 and a week's wait.

Went TV shopping yesterday and my takeaway is that the most basic of 46-inch LED TVs can be had for $850. Add $100 and I get a 50-inch LED TV. Add $500 and I get a 60-inch LED TV.

Power consumption of LED is a fraction of what I am getting with LCD.

Smart TVs are nice if you dont have a smartphone, tablet or computer. Wish Apple would make one, I'd be more inclined to buy a solution from them.

Of course this isn't a 4K display. I was initially planning to wait 3-5 years before picking up one. In time for a slim Xbox One & slim PS4.

Now I'm back to my 8yo 32-inch Samsung LCD TV and 4yo 40-inch Samsung LCD TV. Which is really sad considering we switched to HD cable this year.

=======================

Now for the 4K TV part.

I auditioned the following

LG 65LA9700 (65-inch LED)
Sony Bravia KD-65X9004 (65-inch LED)

Both look awesome with a 2048px on the longest side JPEG even zoomed in at 200%

Playing a 1080p & 720p MP4 with a low bitrate looks like a SD content

Remember that there are no "true" LED TVs out right now. The difference in power consumption is between using a florescent backlight and an LED backlight. Both displays use an LCD panel to produce colours.
This will become immensely confusing once they actually start producing displays that use LEDs to produce the image.
-100% RAW-

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2014, 09:13:20 PM »

Remember that there are no "true" LED TVs out right now. The difference in power consumption is between using a florescent backlight and an LED backlight. Both displays use an LCD panel to produce colours.
This will become immensely confusing once they actually start producing displays that use LEDs to produce the image.

Yes if you want to be pedant about it, but no one sells flat screens as CCFL TVs do they?

For the general public who wil go to the manufacturer websites they will be presented with TVs divide into LED, LCD, Plasma, OLED, etc etc. So using a generally accepted term is correct. It is about communicating effectively.

And AFAIK they do sell "true" LED displays already but for industrial/commercial use for outdoors. Very visible during the day and blinding at night.

======

Looking online a no-name 16-inch LED TV sells for $80 inclusive of 12% VAT. It can play media plugged into a USB port. I expect it to work for 6 months after which you will need to buy a new one.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2014, 09:13:20 PM »

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2014, 03:33:31 AM »

Yes if you want to be pedant about it, but no one sells flat screens as CCFL TVs do they?

For the general public who wil go to the manufacturer websites they will be presented with TVs divide into LED, LCD, Plasma, OLED, etc etc. So using a generally accepted term is correct. It is about communicating effectively.

And AFAIK they do sell "true" LED displays already but for industrial/commercial use for outdoors. Very visible during the day and blinding at night.

======

Looking online a no-name 16-inch LED TV sells for $80 inclusive of 12% VAT. It can play media plugged into a USB port. I expect it to work for 6 months after which you will need to buy a new one.

It's good to see that you're aware of the difference, a significant majority of the people I talk to are completely unaware. In my opinion it basically amounts to false advertising.
-100% RAW-

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »
It's good to see that you're aware of the difference, a significant majority of the people I talk to are completely unaware. In my opinion it basically amounts to false advertising.
Bravo I'm informed of the lies of the industry. Dude, get over it! It's just a marketing term to highlight a new feature that I am particularly thankful for.

Lower power consumption is _always_ welcome.

David_in_Seattle

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2014, 01:33:41 PM »
I'm debating on pulling the trigger on a couple new Dell 24" 4k displays, but have been hesitant to do so since I've heard issues with their display working on 60 Hz.  Other displays are currently out of the question since the company I work for gets a sweet discount on these monitors.

The added resolution would definitely help with the type of photo and video editing I do on the job.
David Cuerpo, Jr. | Media Producer | Expedia Inc.
Cameras: 1Dx, 5Dmk3, 60D
Lenses: 8-15 Fisheye, 16-35 f2.8, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 24-70 f2.8 v2, 17 TSE, 24 TSE, 50 f1.2, 85 f1.2, 90 TSE, 100 f2.8 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS v2, 200 f2 IS, 300 f2.8 IS

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 02:24:25 PM »
My opinion:

4K is good for proofing, i.e. computer monitors.  Mainly because your eyes are right up near the screen and you have lots of great 4k content (your pics).

For movies, pointless, due to distance from screen, diminishing returns with motion compression, and fact that most content does not resolve beyond 1080p in detail even if encoded at 4k.  You need a minimum of a 10ft screen to see significant improvement from 1080p at normal viewing distances per Joe Kane, who is an unbiased industry video expert.

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2014, 02:27:17 PM »
I'm debating on pulling the trigger on a couple new Dell 24" 4k displays, but have been hesitant to do so since I've heard issues with their display working on 60 Hz.  Other displays are currently out of the question since the company I work for gets a sweet discount on these monitors.

The added resolution would definitely help with the type of photo and video editing I do on the job.

Just as a warning, my friend bought a top of the line Dell 32" Ultrasharp 4k monitor.  It had many both stuck and dead pixels.  He exchanged it for 2 replacements, both with lots of stuck and/or dead pixels.  He eventually gave up and asked for refund, though Dell in the end hooked him up for his troubles. :)

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »
Bravo I'm informed of the lies of the industry. Dude, get over it! It's just a marketing term to highlight a new feature that I am particularly thankful for.

I'm just as happy as you are that the industry has switched to LED backlighting, it just should have been named differently.
-100% RAW-

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2014, 10:51:51 PM »

I'm just as happy as you are that the industry has switched to LED backlighting, it just should have been named differently.

I suspect the industry will be skipping right by "true" LED displays, and heading strait for OLED displays. I don't think there is any way to market a "true" LED display (where there are discrete RGB LEDs for each and every pixel) such that the general public would understand the difference relative to an LED Backlit display (either edge backlit or matrix with local dimming.)

LG already has a 77" OLED TV (although it's curved, a feature I personally am not a fan of...I think it's just a gimmick.) Samsung is supposedly readying an 80" OLED display which features an adjustable curvature (again, a feature I think is a gimmick.)

At 80", standard 1920x1080 pixels are MONSTROUS, and there is no question such large screens could benefit from a factor of four shrink in pixel dimensions. I think 4k will do wonders for these large OLED screens...I just hope they end up flat at some point, as I'd prefer not to have some hulking curved monstrosity popping out of my wall, when the intent is to have a 1" deep beautifully flat monstrosity sitting nearly flush and otherwise inconspicuous.

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2014, 04:37:11 AM »
I'd love to sell my 27-inch Dell U2711 now and get a 32-inch Sharp 4K display but my 27-inch iMac would probably not be able to drive it properly and not to mention not match in terms of resolution and screen size.

I hope in 3 years time all the issues for 4K displays will be resolved for the largest 4K iMac I can get.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2014, 04:37:11 AM »