October 25, 2014, 06:58:59 PM

Author Topic: "Pro" mythbusting  (Read 5167 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
"Pro" mythbusting
« on: December 18, 2013, 05:16:32 AM »
The three letters "pro" seem to have some mythical value in photography communities as the highest level of photography excellence and gas (gear acquisition syndrome) when in reality it "just" means that someone makes money and has sufficient communication, self-marketing and business skills.

I'd like to list some of the characteristics that are attributed to a "pro", maybe you'd like to expand the list :-)

* pros don't crop, or at lest only do only the tiniest adjustments in post
* pros only take one picture, but make that count
* pros don't care about bulk, weight or price
* pros only use f2.8 zooms
* pros use at least 5d series camera bodies
* pros shoot for 100% magnification sharpness, whatever the camera resolution is

canon rumors FORUM

"Pro" mythbusting
« on: December 18, 2013, 05:16:32 AM »

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
Re: "Pro" mythbusting
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 05:23:14 AM »
*Photos by "Pros" are always better than "non pro's"
*Pros get it right in the camera!
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 05:29:50 AM »
* pros always use a tripod ;
* pros never use a tripod ;
* pros can get the same shot with any equipment...  It's the photographer,  great doesn't matter;
* pros can make women of full habit look like anorexic models in PP. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 05:33:24 AM by J.R. »
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

alexanderferdinand

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 06:18:32 AM »
I believe a non- pro like me suffers much more by "GAS".
Pros work with their equipment, I like or love using it.

Pro should only mean "makes his/her living with it".
1D MKIV, 5DMk III, lot of lenses, flashes etc
Fuji X100s, Sony RX100 III

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 10:04:26 AM »
The three letters "pro" seem to have some mythical value in photography communities as the highest level of photography excellence and gas (gear acquisition syndrome) when in reality it "just" means that someone makes money and has sufficient communication, self-marketing and business skills.

I'd like to list some of the characteristics that are attributed to a "pro", maybe you'd like to expand the list :-)

* pros only take one picture, but make that count* pros don't care about bulk, weight or price
* pros shoot for 100% magnification sharpness, whatever the camera resolution is
I was told once that the difference between a pro and an amateur is that the amateur KNOWS! that they can get the picture with just one shot, while the pro will use several rolls of film :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 11:34:46 AM »
*Pros only shoot prime lenses.  ;D

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 11:40:36 AM »
Pro´s are concerned about making money, amateurs are concerned about their gear ...
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Zeiss 35/1.4, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, Zeiss Otus 85/1.4, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 11:40:36 AM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 07:39:33 PM »
Pro´s are concerned about making money, amateurs are concerned about their gear ...

I think this somewhat inaccurate.  Everyone is concerned about their gear.  Pros just exercise more restraint in the gear they decide to buy to keep expenses under control.

In my mind, not only does 'pro' mean that one makes money and/or a living with their photography, it also means they have a more mature and bottom-line + result driven attitude about their work.  A pro makes images first and money second when they are lucky and otherwise just has to make money.  However, in every case, regardless of the fun factor, the money is the result of the image not the other way around.  And the pro makes sacrifices to his enjoyment and fulfillment to pay the bills.  It's not all fun and art.  Sometimes it's boring crap that pays.

Being a pro also means they do whatever it takes to get the shot and they don't give up until they do regardless of discomfort, effort or sacrifice.  A pro adheres to a high standard and goes the extra mile to achieve that standard because if they don't, their reputation will suffer and a pro's reputation is everything.  Without a good reputation, they will eventually be an amateur because no one will hire (pay) them for their poor low quality (lazy) work.

I look at some of the work of famous pros (McNally, Sartore, Adams, Salgado, et al.) and that it's evident that they make/made big sacrifices to achieve amazing images that most others miss.  They travel farther, get up earlier and stay longer.  They emerge from the field dirty, battered, bruised or just plain dead tired.  It's easy to click the shutter.  It's hard to wait 6, 12, 24, 48 hours to click the shutter and still miss the shot because the light wasn't right or whatever and have to wait more.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 09:29:48 PM »
To me, being professional is about planning and anticipating, as opposed to reacting.

A pro goes out to get the picture. They plan how this is going to be achieved and take the necessary steps to do so.

You can not tie pro and gear together, a pro will use whatever is appropriate to get the job done. Sometimes it will be with a 1DX and primes in a studio, sometimes it might be a GoPro on a quadricopter..... The tool used is the one that the job requires.

You can not tie being a pro to money. Some make a living, others are subsidized by spouses, family members, or patrons. There is a long history of the arts being subsidized by patrons.... Was Leonardo De Vinci a pro? He had a patron..... It is very possible to be a professional photographer and a bad businessman.... What if I work two days a week as a brain surgeon and the other five as a photographer? The bulk of income comes from surgery, but the bulk of time is on photography.... There are no easy definitions here....

phoenix7

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 10:52:02 PM »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 11:50:03 AM »
Here are a few more:

*pros make good money
*pros make most of their income selling photos (esp. outdoor photogs)
*pros spend more time shooting than managing their business
*pros don't have to market their work

A reality check for me was some of Joe McNally's blog posts this year.  As one of the best known photographers, you'd think he has work pouring in, but that's not the case.  He has discussed going long periods without work, even in recent years, and as a "generalist" he is never the first choice for any shoot. 

wsmith96

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Gig 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 09:58:51 AM »

* pros only take one picture, but make that count
* pros don't care about bulk, weight or price

So, by what I read here, are you saying that no Pro would use a camera that was a xxD or xxxD?

What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 08:30:32 PM »
wsmith I love ya man, but this whole thread is sarcastic cynicism :)

Some posters didn't get that and actually began arguing/proving points. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 08:30:32 PM »

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 10:52:03 PM »
wsmith I love ya man, but this whole thread is sarcastic cynicism :)

Some posters didn't get that and actually began arguing/proving points.

OOps!!!  Sorry...

Got that for my first comment (EVERYONE knows that a real pro shoots 3 rolls of film for each shot) and then promptly forgot and got serious...

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 03:32:26 AM »
http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/12/25/you-know-if-youre-a-real-photographer-if/

I think it sort of goes with this thread's theme.

nice got a good chuckle at some of those  ;D
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 03:32:26 AM »