April 17, 2014, 03:18:56 PM

Author Topic: "Pro" mythbusting  (Read 3306 times)

eli452

• Canon AE-1
  • When you have to shoot shoot don't talk
    • View Profile
Re: "Pro" mythbusting
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 04:05:04 AM »
This one reminds me of the Chuck Norris aphorisms countless sites.
7D; 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye; 100mm f/2.8L macro; TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II; 24-105 f/4L; EF-S 10-22mm; 70-300mm f/4-5.6L; 50mm f/1.4, 600EX-RT & ST-E3-RT; lots more stuff.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 04:05:04 AM »

fussy III

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 04:09:31 AM »
Pros do not find the time to waste energy upon internet-forums like you and I do.

mackguyver

• 1D X
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 11:31:11 AM »
Pros do not find the time to waste energy upon internet-forums like you and I do.
+1,000,000,000, though they pop up every now and then to post questions or work-related items.
EOS M | 5D III | 1D X
EF 24 1.4L II | 50 1.2L | 85 1.2L II | 180 3.5L Macro | 300 2.8L IS II 16-35 2.8L II | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II
TS-E 24 3.5L II :: Extender 1.4x III | 2x III :: EF-M 22 2 | 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS

privatebydesign

• 1D X
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 12:04:43 PM »

I do, I am a full time working pro photographer, but I have a keen interest in dispelling photographic untruths and offering unbiased gear advice based on personal experience. I also seem to be printing more and more so spend more time at the computer which enables me to have a browser window open here. I don't post or look  any other forums though I look at many photographers work and have another window open at Creative Live almost all the time.

One of my observations with pros is that many of them are good at what they do, and professional photography is a business with never ending niches, but many have no educational basis for teaching, indeed many do not understand even basic concepts like "lens compression", perspective, equivalence, crop factors, exposure square for flash and ambient balancing etc etc. In this day and age of easy access I truthfully wish there were some sort of standard, or grading, of educators, you can learn a huge amount of stuff from people that are actually doing something, be that techniques, inspiration, business practices, etc, and it is all valuable, but anybody speaking publicly should be much more aware of correct use of terminology and the impact their words can have.

Oh, and generally photographers outside interests are not photography, they spend too much time hanging out and posting on climbing, skiing, diving, hifi and cooking forums  ;)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:07:25 PM by privatebydesign »
Is Christmas really coming? I suppose it is..............

fatmanmedi

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 09:50:26 PM »
pros never use filters
pros always use filters

Fats

Ripley

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 01:32:53 PM »
pro·fes·sion·al   \prə-ˈfesh-nəl\
: relating to a job that requires special education, training, or skill
: done or given by a person who works in a particular profession
: paid to participate in a sport or activity
5Diii | 24-70L ii | 70-200L ii | 600EX-RT x 2 | ST-E3-RT

AcutancePhotography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 12:31:07 PM »
offering unbiased gear advice based on personal experience.

If it is based on your personal experience, by definition it is biased.   ;D

That's what biased means.   :D

Of course advice can be both biased and valuable. 
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 12:31:07 PM »

privatebydesign

• 1D X
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 04:19:55 PM »

Not if we are talking English
Experience
Biased
If I used my experiences to present ideas in an unfair way, then I could be called biased, similarly you can have entirely biased opinions without any experience at all. Bias and experience are totally unrelated.
Is Christmas really coming? I suppose it is..............

IMG_0001

• Rebel T5i
  • Amateur photon abductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 11:18:03 AM »

Not if we are talking English
Experience
Biased
If I used my experiences to present ideas in an unfair way, then I could be called biased, similarly you can have entirely biased opinions without any experience at all. Bias and experience are totally unrelated.

I like to take part in a debate in which i was not invited so I'll add:

Sorry Private, but I think that Acutance is right from a fundamental perspective. I even think that it is evidenced in the wiki page you linked by :

'' In judgment and decision making
Main article: Cognitive bias

A cognitive bias is the human tendency to make systematic decisions in certain circumstances based on cognitive factors rather than evidence. Bias arises from various processes that are sometimes difficult to distinguish. These processes include information-processing shortcuts, motivational factors, and social influence.[1] Such biases can result from information-processing shortcuts called heuristics. They include errors in judgment, social attribution, and memory. Cognitive biases are a common outcome of human thought, and often drastically skew the reliability of anecdotal and legal evidence. It is a phenomenon studied in cognitive science and social psychology. A cognitive bias also has the tendency to make systematic decisions in certain situations.''

And further supported in the link to 'cognitive bias'.

If your advice are based only on your personal experience, they are not accounting for a significant part of user experiences and are thus biased and anecdotal. However, as stated earlier, they may still be quite valuable as they are from a knowledgeable and well intentioned individual.

No offense intended.
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 11:18:03 AM »