October 23, 2014, 12:31:37 AM

Author Topic: How many cards?  (Read 6671 times)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: How many cards?
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2014, 11:02:34 AM »
I had 3 x 32GB CF Sandisk Extreme cards (2 x 60MB/sec, 1X 30MB/sec) and 1 X 32GB SD Extreme (at 45MB/sec)
for my 5D3 and 5D2 cameras. Now that my 5D2 has been sold and replaced by a second 5D3 I ordered
a Sandisk CF 64GB Extreme pro at 160MB/sec and a Sandisk Extreme pro 64GB SD card at 95MB/sec (I know that
a fast SD card is an overkill for a 5D3 but I want it water/shock/etc... proof and the difference in cost wasn't so much.
The only downside I will have to wait for about a month (but I am not in a hurry...)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2014, 11:02:34 AM »

EricFiskCGD

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • How many lenses are enough? One More!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2014, 03:23:02 PM »
I'll echo what's been said already to an extent - you need to have at least a pair for every camera you have. If you're getting paid for a job to take photographs it might be best to buy two memory sticks for that specific job.

I have no idea if cards have a shelf life or if you can "wear" them out by loading and erasing, loading and erasing,loading and erasing, and loading and erasing. Why take the chance... buying new cards is cheaper than losing everything you're working on.
EOS Rebel T3i
EF-S 18-55mm
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II

mikejkay

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2014, 03:37:15 PM »
I have a 5dIII. And had a lot of sd (big, small, fast, slow) cards that I used in my older camera.
For the 5dIII, I bought a big - slow - compact flash, and, in addition to my standard sd cards, I bought a very fast SD card.
fast SD cards are a lot cheaper than fast compact flash..   
I also gave a try to a very fast and expensive compact flash that my wife have for her 7d.

To transfer to computer, I notice no differences. I have an integrated card-reader in the computer, and, of course, fast compact flash goes fast, fast sd goes fast, slow sd goes slow, and slow compactflash goes slow...

I also didn't notice any difference when shooting, with the 5d3. fast sd goes fast, fast compactflash goes fast...that's all. So I try to have always 2 cards in it, one primary, fast, and the other as a "second" when the first is full.

So finally, for me, this debate is a debate about the cost of the cards..

Rumor has it that the sd in a mkiii is slow regardless of its speed rating.  I usually just have the cf card in my mkiii and then pop in the sd card to copy over.

You should read the thread on the 5DIII buffer in eos bodies.  Write speed, writing RAW to CF in Slot 1 and backing up with a large JPEG to the SD card in Slot 2, is severely compromised because Slot 2 is crippled.
5D MkIII +7D

mikejkay

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2014, 03:40:16 PM »
I'll echo what's been said already to an extent - you need to have at least a pair for every camera you have. If you're getting paid for a job to take photographs it might be best to buy two memory sticks for that specific job.

I have no idea if cards have a shelf life or if you can "wear" them out by loading and erasing, loading and erasing,loading and erasing, and loading and erasing. Why take the chance... buying new cards is cheaper than losing everything you're working on.

CF cards reportedly have a limited read/write life.  I understand that this is one reason that there is no option to do a low level format in camera.
5D MkIII +7D

fatmanmedi

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2014, 05:19:28 PM »
hi,

I've recently replaced all my camera gear so i have only one type of card for my 1dx, and that is SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro i have 4 of them for the stuff i do.

I only use sandisk as i've had problems in the past with lexar cards locking up cameras.

You can wear the cards out so expect a life of 5 years in a professional environment and 10 years for amateur use.

fats

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2014, 05:40:56 PM »
hi,

I've recently replaced all my camera gear so i have only one type of card for my 1dx, and that is SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro i have 4 of them for the stuff i do.

I only use sandisk as i've had problems in the past with lexar cards locking up cameras.

You can wear the cards out so expect a life of 5 years in a professional environment and 10 years for amateur use.

fats

If I used the same card I did ten years ago... it would be a multi media card, mmc, and I want to say it was  mb, but it was probably 32mb... or something ridiculously small like that.  Needless to say... I've not worn out any cards.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2014, 04:54:14 AM »
2 32Gb CF and 4 16Gb SD.

I write full RAW to both. As I don't shoot long sequences I don't mind the crap write rate of SD.

Strangely I see a lot of people talking about the bug and glitches of the cards but most forget the obvious human "errors": lost or stolen bagages and so on. So CF in the camera at all time in my day pack/ carry on, SD in the cloth bag in the hotel/check in bag. My gear is insured, not my pics.

I also keep a 1gb CF for training purpose: if you use that and tape on the LCD, you're back in the 80's 90's in terms of feelings.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2014, 04:54:14 AM »

fatmanmedi

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2014, 08:02:08 AM »
2 32Gb CF and 4 16Gb SD.
Strangely I see a lot of people talking about the bug and glitches of the cards but most forget the obvious human "errors": lost or stolen bagages and so on. So CF in the camera at all time in my day pack/ carry on, SD in the cloth bag in the hotel/check in bag. My gear is insured, not my pics.

I have a belt pack that i carry my cards when going through airports, if the place i'm shooting has great wifi i upload them to my google drive account as a backup, if not then i then burn them to DVD's and send them via courier to the studio.

i've never lost an image yet (touch wood).

Fats

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2014, 08:02:08 AM »