October 20, 2014, 02:00:29 PM

Author Topic: TAMRON SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Hitting Market  (Read 13546 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: TAMRON SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Hitting Market
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 01:17:21 PM »
And here is the first comparison with the 400mm f5.6.  Hopefully he can do some more comparisions but so far the Tamron seems to have the edge at 400mm wide open.

http://camahoy.com/2014/01/06/tamron-sp-150-600mm-vc-sp-usd-vs-canon-ef-400mm-f5-6l-usm/

the samples have now been retracted, see updated web site. The 400 L shots were obviously not the best, and with a filter.  Still, the Tamron doesn't look too bad.
The 400L samples had obvious issues, I think he got called on it. 

The Tamron was a loaner from Tamron, and they only loan out the really good ones, no matter what they tell you.  They'd be pretty stupid if they didn't select the best of the best for loaners.  Then, they put them on a shelf and seem to be grabbing one at random, when they are actually all hand picked lenses.

That's why I'm waiting for professional reviewers who are careful in their setup and know what they are doing.  I don't go for reviews using free loaners from Tamron, they need to be purchased at random from a store.  I also want to see reviews from more than one expert.  Even DXO buys or rents lenses, they don't test special ones supplied by the manufacturer.    Experts will recognize problems with test lenses and redo the images or get them repaired before showing them to the public, their reputation is on the line.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 01:17:21 PM »

bholliman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014, 03:03:30 PM »
I'm looking forward to the hand-on reviews of this lens and enough data points to give a good idea about copy variation.

I don't often need a lens longer than 200mm, but for those occasions I do, this would be an excellent choice if the IQ is as good or better than the Canon 100-400L.  I've owned that lens before and was generally pleased with it, but it didn't get much use so I sold it to use the money on better shorter focal length lenses.  Now that I'm generally satisfied with my 14-200mm lenses, adding a longer zoom makes sense.  As much as I'd love to own a 300 or 400 2.8 IS, I don't shoot enough super tele to justify the cost.  For around $1K this would be a nice option.
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2014, 04:11:22 PM »

The only "issue" was that he forgot he had a filter on the 400L and didn't on the Tamron. I don't think he got "called" on it. Someone pointed out the mistake and he corrected it. It's debatable how much an impact the filter would have, but give him credit for recognizing the issue and being straightforward about it.

The Tamron was a loaner from Tamron, and they only loan out the really good ones, no matter what they tell you.  They'd be pretty stupid if they didn't select the best of the best for loaners.  Then, they put them on a shelf and seem to be grabbing one at random, when they are actually all hand picked lenses.

These statements are common on the internet, but I wonder if anyone has any actual, personal proof or experience with this. Or, if it's just something that gets repeated and since it sounds logical, people believe it.

Trying to think it through logically. Let's say the lens comes from the in-country distributor. Do they really pull out 10 or 20 lenses from their stock and run a battery of tests on each one before loaning one out to a reviewer? Do they even have the necessary equipment to run these tests? And, do they have the personnel with the time and expertise to pre-test these lenses? Does anybody know this, or is this just conjecture?

And, while we're on the topic. It seems like Canon and Nikon would be more likely to do this than a third-party manufacturer if only because they'd be more likely to have the resources available for this kind of manipulation.

I would agree that testing a pre-production copy would be problematic, because it's a product that will never get into the consumer's hands and many times these pre-production copies are small runs that are indeed assembled and tested under more scrutiny than a production run lens. But if a distributor has, say 2,000 boxed production-run copies of a lens, what evidence is there that they are pre-testing these lenses. And, if you think they will go to that extent, wouldn't they also pre-test any lens they sell to a well-known review site?

Unless the reviewers hire a third-party to anonymously purchase a lens from a retailer, the exact same cherry-picking can occur. Is that the procedure followed by review sites? Somehow, I doubt it.

And, while we are thinking about this, wouldn't it be in the best interests of the in-country distributor to hand over a production-run, untested copy? The last thing they want is to sell 10,000 copies of a lens and have 8,000 returned because someone fudged the reviews. If I'm a local distributor and my company produces a product that turns out to be a turkey, I want to have that known as quickly as possible so I have more leverage to force the parent company to make it right. Cherry-picking a review sample just is not in my best interests. 

Now, I would say it's a good idea to wait until several reviewers have weighed in and frankly, I would want to wait until someone like Roger Cicala has a chance to run several dozen or several hundred copies through his system so they are thoroughly field-tested and any problems can be identified before buying. But I don't like blanket statements without any evidence to back them up.

I'm a little surprised at how many people have already made up their minds about this lens before it has really hit the market. I strongly suspect that the reviews won't really matter. Those who are inclined to hate it will find reasons to do so, those who are inclined to love it will find reasons to do so.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2014, 06:29:14 PM »

The only "issue" was that he forgot he had a filter on the 400L and didn't on the Tamron. I don't think he got "called" on it. Someone pointed out the mistake and he corrected it. It's debatable how much an impact the filter would have, but give him credit for recognizing the issue and being straightforward about it.

These statements are common on the internet, but I wonder if anyone has any actual, personal proof or experience with this. Or, if it's just something that gets repeated and since it sounds logical, people believe it.

Trying to think it through logically. Let's say the lens comes from the in-country distributor. Do they really pull out 10 or 20 lenses from their stock and run a battery of tests on each one before loaning one out to a reviewer? Do they even have the necessary equipment to run these tests? And, do they have the personnel with the time and expertise to pre-test these lenses? Does anybody know this, or is this just conjecture?

And, while we're on the topic. It seems like Canon and Nikon would be more likely to do this than a third-party manufacturer if only because they'd be more likely to have the resources available for this kind of manipulation.

I would agree that testing a pre-production copy would be problematic, because it's a product that will never get into the consumer's hands and many times these pre-production copies are small runs that are indeed assembled and tested under more scrutiny than a production run lens. But if a distributor has, say 2,000 boxed production-run copies of a lens, what evidence is there that they are pre-testing these lenses. And, if you think they will go to that extent, wouldn't they also pre-test any lens they sell to a well-known review site?

Unless the reviewers hire a third-party to anonymously purchase a lens from a retailer, the exact same cherry-picking can occur. Is that the procedure followed by review sites? Somehow, I doubt it.

And, while we are thinking about this, wouldn't it be in the best interests of the in-country distributor to hand over a production-run, untested copy? The last thing they want is to sell 10,000 copies of a lens and have 8,000 returned because someone fudged the reviews. If I'm a local distributor and my company produces a product that turns out to be a turkey, I want to have that known as quickly as possible so I have more leverage to force the parent company to make it right. Cherry-picking a review sample just is not in my best interests. 

Now, I would say it's a good idea to wait until several reviewers have weighed in and frankly, I would want to wait until someone like Roger Cicala has a chance to run several dozen or several hundred copies through his system so they are thoroughly field-tested and any problems can be identified before buying. But I don't like blanket statements without any evidence to back them up.

I'm a little surprised at how many people have already made up their minds about this lens before it has really hit the market. I strongly suspect that the reviews won't really matter. Those who are inclined to hate it will find reasons to do so, those who are inclined to love it will find reasons to do so.

Well said.  Nicely balanced approach, and one I strongly agree with.  Even though I test equipment, I still like to read multiple reviews from different perspectives before I buy.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2014, 06:40:18 PM »

Well said.  Nicely balanced approach, and one I strongly agree with.  Even though I test equipment, I still like to read multiple reviews from different perspectives before I buy.
If it really was a "cherry picked lens", wouldn't it be hand delivered on a silk pillow? Normal shipping is rough on equipment.... boxes get dropped and thrown all the time and that has to be hard on the alignment of all the components...
The best camera is the one in your hands

jthomson

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2014, 10:33:32 PM »

Unfortunately Roger can't test the lens at 600mm which is where most people want to know how good it is.

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2014, 11:04:18 PM »

Unfortunately Roger can't test the lens at 600mm which is where most people want to know how good it is.

Good point. But actually I was thinking more along the lines of their experience with repairs, consistency, reliability, etc. etc.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2014, 11:04:18 PM »

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2014, 03:15:10 AM »
Why is there so much fuss about the quality of a $1000 lens that comes with a 5-year guarantee? Buy a copy from a proper retailer and either test it for yourself in the shop or at home if by post and send it back if soft. There are rubbish copies of the 100-400L, but no one makes such a song and dance about it. 
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2014, 09:35:17 AM »
Why is there so much fuss about the quality of a $1000 lens that comes with a 5-year guarantee?

Cuz it's too damn cold and crappy outside to do anything else  :D

I'm thinking (hoping?) this lens will pleasantly surprise.

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2014, 10:07:30 AM »
Why is there so much fuss about the quality of a $1000 lens that comes with a 5-year guarantee?

It will
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2014, 10:24:02 AM »
Why is there so much fuss about the quality of a $1000 lens that comes with a 5-year guarantee? Buy a copy from a proper retailer and either test it for yourself in the shop or at home if by post and send it back if soft. There are rubbish copies of the 100-400L, but no one makes such a song and dance about it.
It's already the number one selling lens in japan..... There is a lot of interest in this lens. that, plus the wait for release in the rest of the world, gives a great deal of speculation.
The best camera is the one in your hands

CTJohn

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 02:20:36 PM »

It will
Are you testing one?
EOS 6D * EOS 7D * EF 24/105 f/4L * EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L * EF 100 f/2.8L Macro * Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2014, 04:33:35 PM »

It will

Now that's just teasing !!!!
Looking forward to your review, do you know when/where it will be published first?

Regards

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2014, 04:33:35 PM »

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2014, 05:38:19 PM »

It will

Looking forward to your review, do you know when/where it will be published first?

Regards

They are keeping me on a tight leash with this one.  I'll be able to go live somewhere near the end of the month, but that is seriously about as much as I'm allowed to say.

jthomson

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2014, 05:45:06 PM »

It will

Regards
Yes Dustin, it's not nice to tease the less fortunate. :(

As to why all  the fuss.  It looks like this lens may be better optically than a canon 100-400mmL and is about 2/3 the price.  There hasn't been any real competition to the canon 100-400mm for way too long.   If enough of the established testers give this a thumbs up I'll be getting one, tired of wating  for an update of the 100-400.

Sigma should also be worried as none of their  400mm or 500mm zooms beat the 100-400mmL.  Although Sigma could be eating canon's lunch with their 35mm and 50mm primes.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2014, 05:45:06 PM »