July 26, 2014, 03:41:15 PM

Author Topic: Military Aircraft: airshows, operational, whatever, lets see what you have!  (Read 31380 times)

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
Hi Viper.
Yeah right, rusty, bad weather excuse for..... Excellent pics! ;D
I'd like to take pics like that on my best day, perfect health, perfect frame of mind, perfect weather, it still wouldn't happen!

Cheers Graham.

Some great shots already on here:

First trip of the year and feeling a little rusty. Weather was a bit iffy as well

7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosine 100-300 retired)

canon rumors FORUM

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Hi Roo.
And a few more great pics just to prove a point.

Cheers Graham.

Hi Roo.
Lovely series of pictures, good subjects, nice framing and crisp focus. I guess the Tamron is ok then!

Cheers Graham.

Thanks Graham!  The Tammy has answered every question I've asked of it so far.  That wasn't great light to shoot in at the weekend but it still pulled it off
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile

REX50056 3eh by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

Untitled by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

REX16387h by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Tex, great job!

philmoz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
In the photos - CAC Wirraway (Australian development of the same design that led to the Harvard/Texan). Spitfire.  P51 Mustang, Gloster Meteor and CAC Sabre (Australian development of the F86 built with a Rolls Royce Avon engine).

All airborne shots taken with a 5dIII and the new Tamron 150-600.

Excellent shots.

I say many of these planes at Tyabb last Sunday; but I didn't have as much success as you had.
I struggled to hand hold the Tamron at 600mm and keep the planes in the viewfinder - need a bit more practice (and some weight training) :)

I managed to catch this one (I think it's the Sopwith Pup).

I noticed a bit of CA around the elevator edges on your Spitfire image - did you turn on the CA removal option in LR? I find this works quite well on the Tamron.

Phil.

CarlTN

• View Profile
In the photos - CAC Wirraway (Australian development of the same design that led to the Harvard/Texan). Spitfire.  P51 Mustang, Gloster Meteor and CAC Sabre (Australian development of the F86 built with a Rolls Royce Avon engine).

Excellent shots.

I say many of these planes at Tyabb last Sunday; but I didn't have as much success as you had.
I struggled to hand hold the Tamron at 600mm and keep the planes in the viewfinder - need a bit more practice (and some weight training) :)

I noticed a bit of CA around the elevator edges on your Spitfire image - did you turn on the CA removal option in LR? I find this works quite well on the Tamron.

Phil.

Great shot!  I'm not usually a fan of black and white, but it works here...has a silvery look to it, too.  Did you know those planes had the whole engine spin with the propeller?  That's why they crashed so easily on takeoff.  Too much gyroscopic effect, then if they turned the wrong direction, they just went into a spin.

Click

• View Profile
Did you know those planes had the whole engine spin with the propeller?  That's why they crashed so easily on takeoff.  Too much gyroscopic effect, then if they turned the wrong direction, they just went into a spin.

Thanks, interesting information.

Old biplane looks always good in B&W. Well done philmoz.

canon rumors FORUM

Roo

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

Excellent shots.

Phil.

Thanks.  Spot on with the Spitfire - in my haste to get it out I missed the lens adjustment after resetting the image d'oh!  Lovely shot of the Sopwith!  Stick with the practice and weight training - you will get plenty of great images from the lens. 
5Diii, 60D, Canon 24-105L, Canon 70-200 2.8L is II, Samyang 14 2.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 vcd, Tamron 90 macro, Tamron 150-600

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Hi folks.
Lots of great pics people,
Rex, great shots of a mighty impressive plane, I need to ask how low overhead was it when it passed over you for the third shot, coming in to land or taking off, did you have to duck?

This problem basically went away for years but returned on planes like the Spitfire and ME109, but in these instances it was pure torque (well maybe a just a little gyroscopic progression) combined with their extremely narrow undercarriage.

Biplane does look good in b/w.

Cheers Graham.

Did you know those planes had the whole engine spin with the propeller?  That's why they crashed so easily on takeoff.  Too much gyroscopic effect, then if they turned the wrong direction, they just went into a spin.

Thanks, interesting information.

Old biplane looks always good in B&W. Well done philmoz.

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com

Phil.

Nice shot of the Pup. I presume you must have shot this in Oz because D4170 is an Australian replica. This one uses a radial engine instead of the original 80 hp rotary - as nearly all the replicas do, so although it's nice to see them flying you don't get to hear the original sound, which basically sounds is if the engine is dying and about to cut out even when running normally !

By to days standards, in Britain at least, the original Pup would qualify as a microlight, so you wouldn't need a full PPL to fly one !

Roo

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
By to days standards, in Britain at least, the original Pup would qualify as a microlight, so you wouldn't need a full PPL to fly one !

Funny that you wouldn't need a full licence to fly a difficult plane.  Its too hard to regulate for every eventuality but that's one that could contribute to the Darwin awards :D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:49:48 AM by Roo »
5Diii, 60D, Canon 24-105L, Canon 70-200 2.8L is II, Samyang 14 2.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 vcd, Tamron 90 macro, Tamron 150-600

ankarback

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Really love to see all the great war plane photos in this post. Here's some photos I took a couple of years ago at the Flying Legends airshow in Duxford, England.

B-24 liberator

French Morane Saulnier

Spanish made ME-109 with Merlin engine at startup

B-17 Sally B

Russian Yak-9

Red Bull's P-38

/Johan

Click

• View Profile
Really love to see all the great war plane photos in this post. Here's some photos I took a couple of years ago at the Flying Legends airshow in Duxford, England.

Great series ankarback. I especially like the 3rd one.

...And welcome to CR  :)

canon rumors FORUM

UroDoc

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile

B-24 liberator

French Morane Saulnier

Spanish made ME-109 with Merlin engine at startup

B-17 Sally B

Russian Yak-9

Red Bull's P-38

/Johan

I'm fairly certain that the first picture is not a B-24 Liberator but an Avro Lancaster.  The cockpit glass is not correct for the B-24, the B-24 did not have a Gun turrent on the top in the main body, and the 4 engines in the picture are Rolls Royce Merlins which were on the Lancaster. If you Google B-24  Liberator pictures and Avro Lancaster pictures you can see the difference.

In any event great looking pictures.

fredericsiffert

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • fredericsiffert.com

canon rumors FORUM