October 23, 2014, 12:38:38 AM

Author Topic: Military Aircraft: airshows, operational, whatever, lets see what you have!  (Read 40064 times)

krisbell

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Page
While I like to think of myself as a wildlife photographer I actually work in the private jet charter industry so this thread is probably more suited to me than any other! For what its worth, a few of my shots from shows and from work...
Current gear: Canon 5DIII, Canon 100mm f2.8 macro (broken), Canon 16-35mm f4L, Canon 300mm f2.8L II, 2x extender III

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kristianbell/

canon rumors FORUM

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
While I like to think of myself as a wildlife photographer I actually work in the private jet charter industry so this thread is probably more suited to me than any other! For what its worth, a few of my shots from shows and from work...

I love the last one. Beautiful image.

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
There are two threads in CR which just keep me coming back for more, this and 'Show your Bird Portraits'

The photography in both are wonderful.

Keith, absolutely lovin your photography. Your thoughts on The Galloping Ghost are very poignant.
I remember when the great Mark Hanna died, a hero of mine, it's a sober reminder of the fragility of these beautiful aircraft and the passion of the pilots that fly them.

On a lighter note that ISS image is superb!
http://www.kbvp.com/photo/iss-international-space-station-moon-flyby-photo-instructions

Regards

Scott_McPhee

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon 5D mark 3 with various L lenses
    • View Profile
    • SJL Photography

Click

• View Profile
Some of mine - enjoy....

Awesome series. Well done Scott.

PhotographerJim

• Power Shot G7X
  • Explorer of Life
    • View Profile
Slight change of country: F/A18C's of the Swiss Airforce at the Axalp demo(and this one you have to climb to 7,000-feet for):

Such an incredible shot!  :D  8)

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
ErikNZ: do you fly these for a living? I am currently green with envy! Some great shots there, well done.

Thanks! As to your question - no, I'm not a fighter pilot, I wish! I'm only a mere aviation photographer who gets (very) lucky once in a while  :D
COOL 8)
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

Rienzphotoz

• View Profile
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

ErikNZ

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
What aircraft have you flown in to take those and other shots?

I must admit that one day I hope to be a passenger in a fighter jet, must be one amazing experience and something you never forget.

The photos from the 310th FS were taken from a F-16D. I have been very privileged to be able to fly a few fighters, including the F-4E Phantom II, which is still in USAF service as a remotely piloted target. Each time, it is an an awesome experience but it sure is hard work, in a very unforgiving environment. 

Just breathing through the oxygen mask alone takes getting used to, it's like sipping breaths through a straw. At first you really think you aren't getting enough oxygen, but it's all about controlling your breathing - stuff you never really think about in every day life. And then there are the G-Forces, the ferocity of the changes in direction and attitude - it's a true assault on the senses. And that's even without considering taking any pictures.

Knock on wood, in all my sorties I haven't lost my lunch once but that doesn't mean I haven't been slightly green around the nose and pretty uncomfortable. If you are like me and you can't even read a book in the car without getting sick, then these photo sorties are totally awesome but also very hard work. After all, we're only burning a gazillion dollars a minute in fuel and post-flight maintenance time so you better deliver the goods :)

My 'office view' on that particular occasion :)

F-4E | F-16D | B-52H | HC-130P | HH-60G | UH-1H | TH-1H | UH-72A | HH-3F | NH-500C | S208M | Mi-24V | A109 | SA316 | PC-7 | AS365 | SH-3D | AS532

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile

I must admit that one day I hope to be a passenger in a fighter jet, must be one amazing experience and something you never forget.

The photos from the 310th FS were taken from a F-16D. I have been very privileged to be able to fly a few fighters, including the F-4E Phantom II, which is still in USAF service as a remotely piloted target. Each time, it is an an awesome experience but it sure is hard work, in a very unforgiving environment. 

Just breathing through the oxygen mask alone takes getting used to, it's like sipping breaths through a straw. At first you really think you aren't getting enough oxygen, but it's all about controlling your breathing - stuff you never really think about in every day life. And then there are the G-Forces, the ferocity of the changes in direction and attitude - it's a true assault on the senses. And that's even without considering taking any pictures.

I can imagine how hard it would be, just the g-forces and speed of the sudden changes must make life difficult. As a diver and good swimmer I doubt the breathing would be a problem, but still, everything combined and it all adds up quickly!

What was it like the very first time you went up in a fighter jet? And which would you most like to fly in if you were given the opportunity?

Thanks for sharing!
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Roo

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
There really are some spectacular images being shared here:) I would love to see an F4 Phantom in flight downunder but the only one here that I'm aware of is at the RAAF museum and I've been told it will not fly.

Here are some F22 from the Avalon airshow last year :)
5Diii, 60D, Canon 24-105L, Canon 70-200 2.8L is II, Samyang 14 2.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 vcd, Tamron 90 macro, Tamron 150-600

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
There really are some spectacular images being shared here:) I would love to see an F4 Phantom in flight downunder but the only one here that I'm aware of is at the RAAF museum and I've been told it will not fly.

Here are some F22 from the Avalon airshow last year :)

You got some nice shots there. The F22 is an amazing aircraft!
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

CarlTN

• View Profile

Knock on wood, in all my sorties I haven't lost my lunch once but that doesn't mean I haven't been slightly green around the nose and pretty uncomfortable. If you are like me and you can't even read a book in the car without getting sick, then these photo sorties are totally awesome but also very hard work. After all, we're only burning a gazillion dollars a minute in fuel and post-flight maintenance time so you better deliver the goods :)

Bravo, and sorry to hear the F-4 Phantom is only being used as a flying target!!  I hope somebody in the world keeps a few of them flying for air shows.  I've never seen one at an airshow, but I used to see them fly over my area a lot in the late '70's, and early '80's.  Had some close calls with them flying low in a Cessna in uncontrolled airspace too, at about 400 mph!!

I'd love to fly in any fighter jet sometime, but I guess I'd need to be re-incarnated as a hot female tv reporter or something, haha...

canon rumors FORUM

Rienzphotoz

• View Profile
The F22 is an amazing aircraft!
For a while I thought you were referring to an image made with f/22 aperture  ;D

ErikNZ

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Did someone mention Phantoms? :)

F-4E | F-16D | B-52H | HC-130P | HH-60G | UH-1H | TH-1H | UH-72A | HH-3F | NH-500C | S208M | Mi-24V | A109 | SA316 | PC-7 | AS365 | SH-3D | AS532

canon rumors FORUM