July 30, 2014, 04:00:13 PM

Author Topic: Military Aircraft: airshows, operational, whatever, lets see what you have!  (Read 32065 times)

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Sporgon, I think the small canopy on the 109 is intentional, to make the pilot harder to hit.  The plane was really not a great design, relied too heavily on the huge canon that fired slowly and didn't work a lot of the time.  As I commented in an earlier thread...it's very ironic that the 109's the Spanish airforce used in the 1950's, use the Merlin engine from the Spitfire and P-51!

canon rumors FORUM

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
The Me 262 must have scared the daylights out of allied pilots.  Remember that this was the first jet aircraft produced at any scale, & they had very little intelligence on it early on.  Imagine seeing a plane with no propeller for the first time!

One of the things that jet engines enabled this fighter platform to do was carry a lot more gun weight.  Four 30mm MK 108 cannons firing high-explosive rounds to be precise.  Apparently a single volley of four rounds could take down a B-17.

CarlTN

• View Profile
The Me 262 must have scared the daylights out of allied pilots.  Remember that this was the first jet aircraft produced at any scale, & they had very little intelligence on it early on.  Imagine seeing a plane with no propeller for the first time!

One of the things that jet engines enabled this fighter platform to do was carry a lot more gun weight.  Four 30mm MK 108 cannons firing high-explosive rounds to be precise.  Apparently a single volley of four rounds could take down a B-17.

Indeed.  There is, just so much that happened in WW2, so many air battles, so much innovation...so much mystery...that not enough feature films have been made about it. 

(Sorry to vent and rage about movies here, if you don't care, don't read it.)

I'm tired of teenage vampire love triangle stories set as period pieces...why can't movies be made for people over age 25, and also be of the "action blockbuster" type, also with a good dose of historical significance?  I mean, most young teens don't even go to movies anymore anyway...

(I have high hopes for the new "Captain America", because the first one was pretty good...)

I mean, if "Saving Private Ryan", were released in 2014, it would have to be released at Christmas time, because it's a historical film, and nobody who has ever played a video game, gives a rat's hiney about history.  All they care about is how idiotic a film's characters can be...how over the top and cartoonish the action sequences are...it seems to me.

When I was a kid, Indiana Jones didn't need to be a 15 year old boy going to the prom as a vampire in the Great Pyramid, to get me interested.  I accepted that adults in their 30's, could probably have the most fun and adventure of anyone.  The fact that it was set with historical cues, made it all the more interesting.  (Just as the serials that inspired Lucas and Spielberg in their childhood, to make this series.  Evidently kids could be entertained with adult main characters back then, too...it's only now that kids don't want to pay attention to adults, or to history...why is that?).

At least with "The Hobbit" and LOTR, there is a sense of story, and "history", even though it's mythical history.  But of course...it's based on books written over 60 years ago!  If the books were written today, they would be about kids firing crossbows on gameshows of the future...good thing they weren't!

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile

Indeed.  There is, just so much that happened in WW2, so many air battles, so much innovation...so much mystery...that not enough feature films have been made about it. 

That's a very astute rant.  I'd attribute it to the decrease in importance & value of the quality written word (just like the decrease in value of the quality still image...).

People (especially younger people) often chalk up rants like these to "nostalgia", & they can have their opinions.  Personally I'm nostalgic for a time when people truly appreciated quality, in every aspect of their lives.  "Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" should be required reading for grammar students...

CarlTN

• View Profile

That's a very astute rant.  I'd attribute it to the decrease in importance & value of the quality written word (just like the decrease in value of the quality still image...).

People (especially younger people) often chalk up rants like these to "nostalgia", & they can have their opinions.  Personally I'm nostalgic for a time when people truly appreciated quality, in every aspect of their lives.  "Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" should be required reading for grammar students...

Very well said!  What do they know of nostalgia, they've not lived long enough to experience life.

ErikNZ

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Wow, we went from ME-262s to vampire-cross-dressing-Indiana-Jones!  :o

I say, time for more planes :)

F-4E | F-16D | B-52H | HC-130P | HH-60G | UH-1H | TH-1H | UH-72A | HH-3F | NH-500C | S208M | Mi-24V | A109 | SA316 | PC-7 | AS365 | SH-3D | AS532

CarlTN

• View Profile
Wow, we went from ME-262s to vampire-cross-dressing-Indiana-Jones!  :o

I say, time for more planes :)

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread.

canon rumors FORUM

ErikNZ

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
One of my all time favourite fighter jets.  Pity they weren't kept around longer.

F-4E | F-16D | B-52H | HC-130P | HH-60G | UH-1H | TH-1H | UH-72A | HH-3F | NH-500C | S208M | Mi-24V | A109 | SA316 | PC-7 | AS365 | SH-3D | AS532

Click

• View Profile
You were on an aircraft carrier for that shot...Lucky you!  8)

CarlTN

• View Profile
One of my all time favourite fighter jets.  Pity they weren't kept around longer.

They cost too much to maintain.  I got to see a few at airshows.  One day in early 2000's, a pair flew over my house, low altitude, afterburners must have been lit but maybe not full power...it was extremely loud, shook everything.  Probably going over 400 mph, 800 feet above the ground.

The first F-14 I saw do a routine at an airshow back in 1992, had very loud fans.  The oscillating hum, was both hypnotic and annoying!

At a show in the late '90's, I talked to one of the "rio's" who was standing by one on static display.  I asked what was the fastest he had been in one.  He said his pilot told him a while back, that "today we're going to go 1000 mph".  He said when they landed they realized part of the tail had broken off!

Roo

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

Yep the Tomcat is up there.  As a young teenager I remember wondering why it wasn't considered along with the F-15, F-16 and F-18 when the RAAF started looking for a Mirage replacement in the mid 70s.  Funny that even before Top Gun I preferred it to the others lol.  What's even funnier is that the RAAF went for the F-18 because the F-16 only had a single engine and yet it is being replaced by the single engine F-35.  The F-15 was ruled out as there was no ground attack capable version at the time.  Thanks for posting Erik!
5Diii, 60D, Canon 24-105L, Canon 70-200 2.8L is II, Samyang 14 2.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 vcd, Tamron 90 macro, Tamron 150-600

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
Hi Erik.
Great pics, like the Huey, and the Tomcat is great, along with the opportunity to photograph did you witness them in action too?

Cheers Graham.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosine 100-300 retired)

ErikNZ

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Great pics, like the Huey, and the Tomcat is great, along with the opportunity to photograph did you witness them in action too?

Yes I did, I was fortunate enough to spend some time aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt (aka "The Big Stick") during Operation Iraqi Freedom. If you look underneath the big Cat, you'll notice some live ammunition (I believe these were JDAMs) and a Lightning pod underneath the wing. When this F-14 recovered, it no longer carried the bombs, so some terrorists must have had a really bad day!

I don't have more Tomcat shots online, so I'll have to look for them but meanwhile, here's another favourite memory of mine:

canon rumors FORUM

Click

• View Profile

I don't have more Tomcat shots online, so I'll have to look for them but meanwhile, here's another favourite memory of mine:

Cool shot.  8)  Well done Erik.

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
Hi Erik.
Nice shot of the B52, amazing they can get fuel in faster than all those engines can drink it!  ;D
There are some people out there that you just don't mind them having a really bad day! I bet the pilot was happy to help! :o ;D
It would seem that you have had some great opportunities but I'll bet you had to work hard to get them.

Cheers Graham.

Yes I did, I was fortunate enough to spend some time aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt (aka "The Big Stick") during Operation Iraqi Freedom. If you look underneath the big Cat, you'll notice some live ammunition (I believe these were JDAMs) and a Lightning pod underneath the wing. When this F-14 recovered, it no longer carried the bombs, so some terrorists must have had a really bad day!

7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosine 100-300 retired)

canon rumors FORUM