October 21, 2014, 04:40:02 AM

Author Topic: A 2014 Roadmap Part 1: The 7D Mark II is Coming [CR2]  (Read 23694 times)

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
Re: A 2014 Roadmap Part 1: The 7D Mark II is Coming [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 12:34:22 AM »
Thankfully, hopefully labeled 7DmII, I love my 7D

lets see a super high ISO which is workable, 15 frames a sec,  lots of good stuff..

canon blow the industry away by giving us a new world class sensor tech which will blow all full frame away.  Tuen up that tech in the ff and blow us away again...

hey a guy can wish can't he....

Sure. A guy can wish for all the stars in the heavens...and be disappointed. Just to be frank, and quite honest...if people didn't wind their hopes up so much for the absolutely unattainable, they might not be so disappointed when Canon releases something more, down to earth.

It really isn't that hard:

1. 22-24mp APS-C
 2. 10fps
 3. Better AF system (repurpose 5D III's maybe?)

One might even get particularly hopeful, and wish for something not quite as likely, but still nevertheless more attainable than starstuff:

4. 180nm Cu Lightpipe sensor design (we know Canon has it, they already manufacture with it for smaller sensors)

Now, I might be a little dismayed when I don't get #4, but I'll still be entirely satisfied with 1-3. Might try a little realism sometime...and end up happy and satisfied, rather than devastated when your lofty hopes are all dashed to bits.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 12:34:22 AM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 12:36:11 AM »
Wait, aside from people ranting about DR, what exactly is wrong with the 5Dmk3 that has everyone clamoring for a successor?

Indeed. I suspect the 5D III will be around for a very long time...possibly quite a bit longer than the 5D II.

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2013, 01:32:13 AM »
I'm clamoring for a successor to the 5D3 to be announced, so that the price of the 5D3 will drop. I'd like to pick up a 2nd 5D3 for around $2K, and retire my 5DC.

Check back around 2018. The 5DIII might drop to around $2K by then.
In 2018 the price of the 5DIII will be closer to $1K than 2K.
The 5DII was announced 9/2008. By Xmas 2011, it was on sale for $2k. I remember being extremely tempted by it but holding off knowing the 5DIII was coming soon. The 5DIII was announced 3/2012. It is now 12/2013 and the price has dropped from$3500 at launch to $2649 today at Amazon. It seems to me that it will be on sale next year around the $2300 mark if not even lower by black friday or xmas 2014
Camera technology is moving fast and prices are falling. With Sony releasing $1700 full frame compact cameras the market will soon be flooded with used full frame cameras for around $1k. Sony, Fuji and many other brands will be releasing more FF cameras even more often in the next few years. The prices of used high quality cameras will drop from the exclusive price points they have been at.
 I see the 5DII at about $600 bucks in 2018, and the 5DIII around $1250
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

Arctic Photo

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2013, 03:14:42 AM »

lets see a super high ISO which is workable, 15 frames a sec,  lots of good stuff..

canon blow the industry away by giving us a new world class sensor tech which will blow all full frame away.  Tuen up that tech in the ff and blow us away again...

Sure. A guy can wish for all the stars in the heavens...and be disappointed. Just to be frank, and quite honest...if people didn't wind their hopes up so much for the absolutely unattainable, they might not be so disappointed when Canon releases something more, down to earth.

1. 22-24mp APS-C
 2. 10fps

One might even get particularly hopeful, and wish for something not quite as likely, but still nevertheless more attainable than starstuff:

4. 180nm Cu Lightpipe sensor design (we know Canon has it, they already manufacture with it for smaller sensors)

Now, I might be a little dismayed when I don't get #4, but I'll still be entirely satisfied with 1-3. Might try a little realism sometime...and end up happy and satisfied, rather than devastated when your lofty hopes are all dashed to bits.
Doesn't sound too bad to me.

DaveMiko

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2013, 03:52:27 AM »
<div name=\"googleone_share_1\" style=\"position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;\"><g:plusone size=\"tall\" count=\"1\" href=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/12/a-2014-roadmap-part-1-the-7d-mark-ii-is-coming-cr2/\"></g:plusone></div><div style=\"float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;\"><a href=\"https://twitter.com/share\" class=\"twitter-share-button\" data-count=\"vertical\" data-url=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/12/a-2014-roadmap-part-1-the-7d-mark-ii-is-coming-cr2/\">Tweet</a></div>
<strong>What’s coming in 2014?<br />

</strong>We’ve already been told that 2014 is going to be the “<a href=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/11/more-mentions-of-2014-being-the-year-of-the-lens-cr1/\" target=\"_blank\">year of the lens</a>” from Canon. Some lenses are getting replaced, while there will be new ones added to the already impressive number of options.</p>
<p>Camera bodies are also going to be front and center. I have received word from a CR3 level source that there will in fact be a 7D Mark II equivalent. The prosumer APS-C camera will live on for at least another generation. The timeframe for an announcement wasn’t given.</p>
<p>More to come once we confirm a few more things.</p>
<p><strong><span style=\"color: #ff0000;\">c</span>r</strong></p>

I really liked my 7D, so I'm curious to check the upcoming 7D Mark II (or whatever it will be called). I think I would get one when it becomes available.
1DX, 5D Mark III, 24-70 f2.8 II, 24-105 f4 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-200 f4 IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS, 600 f4L IS II, 300 f2.8L IS II, 2x Mark III, 1.4x Mark III.

greger

• Rebel T5i
  • 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2013, 04:41:37 AM »
Wow! One day it's No 7D ll. Then a day or 2 later it's a Yes there will be a 7D ll, or something new that's mean't to replace
the 7D but will be called something else because Canon wants to change the way they name their cameras. We have a
few more days left in 2013 so keep the rumors coming. I can afford fantasy buying but am inclined to watch with interest
while I sit on my wallet.
Canon 7D | EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark l - EF 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro - EF 70-200mm   f/4 L IS USM- EF 100-400    f4.5-5.6 IS USM - 1.4 ll and 2X ll Extenders

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2013, 04:49:23 AM »

1. 22-24mp APS-C
 2. 10fps

While agree about your specs, DR and ISO noise are the two areas Canon really need to tame on the 7DII.
The current Sony sourced sensor is pulling better DR than anything from Canon and their iso noise theshold is somewhat lower at higher resolution...where as the reast of the camera body (1Dx and 5DIII) is exstreamly advanced. It's just the sensor tech is now lagging behind. That said, a carefully exposed image should negate this issue 99% of the time. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2013, 04:49:23 AM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2013, 06:49:03 AM »
So. Year of the lens and year of the camera.

But will it also be year of the sensor?

Canon has not had one of those years since the 5D2. ::)
;D  ;D  ;D

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2013, 06:50:21 AM »
Quite a rumor: "a timeframe was not given".

Marauder

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2013, 08:04:43 AM »

1. 22-24mp APS-C
 2. 10fps

Yeah, the specs outlined have been rumoured before and are likely, and they are what excites me as a current 7D user.  Although the 10fps will be awesome, I do have to say the possibility of 12fps is very intriguing!  It'd be nice if they give the ability to adjust the fast and slow burst rates, like they do on the 1 series.  You could set your fast burst to 10 or 12fps and your slow to 7 or 8fps and toggle between them depending on the sort of action you expect.  Naturally, better high noise performance would also be desireable, and I remember a rumour from some time ago indicating the 7D II sensor was going to be class leading for an APC sensor, so here's hoping.  :)  That being said, my main focus (see what I did there?) is on the improved AF, burst-rate and a deeper buffer. :D
Canon 7D, Canon T3i, Canon 100-400L, Canon 200 f2.8L & Various other lenses

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2013, 08:55:40 AM »

1. 22-24mp APS-C
 2. 10fps

Yeah, the specs outlined have been rumoured before and are likely, and they are what excites me as a current 7D user.  Although the 10fps will be awesome, I do have to say the possibility of 12fps is very intriguing!  It'd be nice if they give the ability to adjust the fast and slow burst rates, like they do on the 1 series.  You could set your fast burst to 10 or 12fps and your slow to 7 or 8fps and toggle between them depending on the sort of action you expect.  Naturally, better high noise performance would also be desireable, and I remember a rumour from some time ago indicating the 7D II sensor was going to be class leading for an APC sensor, so here's hoping.  :)  That being said, my main focus (see what I did there?) is on the improved AF, burst-rate and a deeper buffer. :D

It would be nice to be able to take a 4-7 second burst on RAW+Ljpg and not fill the buffer, really memory is cheap..... canon but an absurd amount in please........

CTJohn

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2013, 09:12:49 AM »

1. 22-24mp APS-C
 2. 10fps

Agree regarding wishes 1-3 above.  Why wouldn't we also expect ISO performance equivalent to the 6D (which is 3 stops or more better than my current 7D)?  With fast shutter speeds needed for BIF, I'd love to be able to crank up the ISO, rather than close down the depth of field.
EOS 6D * EOS 7D * EF 24/105 f/4L * EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L * EF 100 f/2.8L Macro * Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3

Triggyman

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2013, 09:31:20 AM »

My most desired camera item at the moment is a EF Canon 50mm f/1.4 – f/2 USM (IS).  As there was a CR2 about that recently, I’m hoping it will come out in 2014.   :)

Paul

Mine, too. I want and am excited about that lens. I got the 35mm IS and I love it. Just got the hard to find hood for it yesterday. :-)
5D Mark III, EF 24-105mm F/4L IS, EF 35mm f/2 IS USM, EF 100mm F/2.8L Macro, 600EX-RT. Wishlist: Upcoming 50mm f/1.8 IS USM or 50mm f/1.2L USM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2013, 09:31:20 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2013, 09:41:09 AM »
Why wouldn't we also expect ISO performance equivalent to the 6D (which is 3 stops or more better than my current 7D)?  With fast shutter speeds needed for BIF, I'd love to be able to crank up the ISO, rather than close down the depth of field.

Why not expect the sensor to have 2.56x more surface area?  That would give you the big ISO improvement you're asking about...  A 180nm process might get you part of the way there with a Canon APS-C sensor.  Until then, the great AF / fast fps / high ISO choice is the 1D X.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2013, 09:41:32 AM »
I'm clamoring for a successor to the 5D3 to be announced, so that the price of the 5D3 will drop. I'd like to pick up a 2nd 5D3 for around $2K, and retire my 5DC.

Check back around 2018. The 5DIII might drop to around $2K by then.

Yep, the 5DIII was launched at a higher price than both the 5DI and 5DII. The 5DIII is higher specced and a more up market model to either of it's previous cousins. It would have been clearer if Canon had called the 5DIII a 5Dx and the 6D a 5DIII. Indicating that the 5DIII range was split in two models.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2013, 09:41:32 AM »