September 16, 2014, 01:31:04 PM

Author Topic: Posting a picture  (Read 1493 times)

Van Jindelt

Posting a picture
« on: October 12, 2011, 02:13:22 AM »
Ok so when I post a picture on this forum, like in the lens contest, every time my pictures are flat, the colors are washed out. What am I doing wrong ? Please help

canon rumors FORUM

Posting a picture
« on: October 12, 2011, 02:13:22 AM »

telephonic

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Posting a picture
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 03:54:10 AM »
Chance is that you are yet to calibrate your monitor. Please take time to do so, at least the brightness & contrast of your monitor. Some online site provides free tools (limited, but better than not at all). My go-to site for this purpose is the one from photofriday (http://www.photofriday.com/calibrate.php).

Other possible cause is from the internet browser. I can't help you on this, but maybe others can. What browser are you using? Internet Explorer? Firefox? Opera? Chrome?

Hope this helps.

EDIT
Oops.. Sorry. You must be seeing the picture on your own monitor. Then the latter is more likely to be the cause. In this case, I can't help you much but may point you to a web search of "browser colour profile" (or somewhere around the line). Sorry, mate!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 10:16:22 AM by telephonic »
Trusty 20D, a lighter 200, a nifty fifty, and an old Sigma that won't work stopped down.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 08:03:02 PM »
Almost certainly a color space issue.  Are you working in Adobe RGB? (If you have your Canon camera set to use Adobe RGB, your file naming will be _MG_0000, instead of IMG_0000.)  If so, unless you have a specific reason for doing so (e.g. you commonly submit files for offset printing or the print lab you use recommends Adobe RGB), I suggest using sRGB.  If you convert your images to sRGB, then upload, should find that they match.

Browser matters, too.   Previously color space and ICC profile didn't matter much for web display since most browsers ignored the tags and just used sRGB as the color space.  However, some current browsers (e.g. Apple's Safari 5) respect the embedded ICC profile and adjust the color to match your display, the idea being to represent the 'true' color (which really only works if you're also using a calibrated monitor).  Click HERE for an example of the effect of embedding a profile (if the image on the left changes as you mouse-over it, you have learned that your browser ignores the profile; clicking changes the gamma to match Apple's default 1.8 vs. Windows default 2.2).   
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 10:25:31 PM »
I would suspect monitor calibration, and / or use of a browser that does not correct to match the icc.

I use IE, and a calibrated monitor.  I looked at some of your images.  On one with water, the sea looked unnaturaly blue and oversaturated.

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 11:12:24 PM »
Ok so when I post a picture on this forum, like in the lens contest, every time my pictures are flat, the colors are washed out. What am I doing wrong ? Please help

You using Lightroom?

If so, I suspect you're exporting in ProPhotoRGB or AdobeRGB instead of sRGB.

Cheers
CR
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 11:12:24 PM »