August 27, 2014, 05:04:00 AM

Author Topic: Review: Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8  (Read 6652 times)

hammar

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Erik Hammar
Re: Review: Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 03:09:48 PM »
When you guys talk about lens profiles, is that for the in-camera correction or some kind of preset for Photoshop?

Is there any available from 5D Mark III. This lens is definitely interesting, but the distortion is a tad bit off-putting.
blog.erikhammar.se
5D3, 24/1.4 II, 24-70/2.8 II, 40/2.8

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 03:34:12 PM »
When you guys talk about lens profiles, is that for the in-camera correction or some kind of preset for Photoshop?

Is there any available from 5D Mark III. This lens is definitely interesting, but the distortion is a tad bit off-putting.

This is referring to a Lightroom/Photoshop profile to correct distortion. The 5DII profile will work fine for your 5DIII.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

keithcooper

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Northlight Images
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 04:12:19 PM »

Yes - the one mentioned in the review...

See the example shots before/after

hammar

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Erik Hammar
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 04:48:30 PM »
Ohh, ok!

So then it is just the focusing issues that I need to overcome before ordering one :)
blog.erikhammar.se
5D3, 24/1.4 II, 24-70/2.8 II, 40/2.8

keithcooper

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Northlight Images
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
Ohh, ok!

So then it is just the focusing issues that I need to overcome before ordering one :)

Issues that for many (but not all) applications just need some practice and or forethought about lens settings ;-)
You could also consider some of the alternative focus screens available?

If you are used to AF 'just working' then it does require a different approach (or a lot more cash for the EF14 ;-)

lilmsmaggie

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 02:01:31 PM »
Hi,

I'm very, very tempted by the 14mm 2.8 Rokinon/Samyang/Bower lens.

But I'm concerned about the various names this manufacturer markets these lenses under. For example, B&H carries this focal length under Samyang, Rokinon and Bower with the Samyang costing $30 more than the Rokinon and Bower versions ($329).  If they are the exact same lens, then why the difference in price?

Aside from price my other concern is the lack of available actual test reports.  The only one I've been able to find is dated 10/14/13 on SLRgear.com

There is no local retailer nearby where I can check this lens out before purchasing which leaves finding a good one might be bit of a crap-shoot. 

Anyway can one improve ones odds in finding an acceptable copy of this lens (I usually purchase my gear from B&H)?

I'd be using it for night sky photography on a 5D MK II and possibly my T3i. 

I may be upgrading my 5DMKII for a III later next year.  Just depends.  It's either that or a roof replacement -- but who needs a roof   ;D
5DMKII, T3i, 24-105L, 100 2.8L Macro, 70-300 4-5.6L

vscd

• EOS M2
  • 5DC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 03:00:13 PM »
In Europe (f.e. germany) they're called "Walimex" ;) The quality should be all the same because I think they were mady in exactly the same factory.

I *love* mine, especially for the price. The resolution is terrifice f.e. @f8 and it's not that big or heavy. The only thing I have to mention is a general one... don't use those lenses (just) for landscapes. Wideangle lenses in this range are not made for panoramic pictures, at least not in my opinion. Just use 24mm with straight optical lines and stitch a few together if you need more angle of view.

The Pixels on the border are curved, unsharp and the results may not be what you've expected. With film you have to, but with digitalcameras I would stitch. Wideangle lenses @14mm can be much more usefull for creative purpose, to catch the eyewithin rooms or to shoot in rather tight places.

Greetings.
5DC, 24-85, 85 1.2L II, 80-200 2.8L, 100 2.8L IS, 14 2.8, 35 1.4, 75-300 IS, 40STM

Brand B

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 08:01:05 PM »
But I'm concerned about the various names this manufacturer markets these lenses under. For example, B&H carries this focal length under Samyang, Rokinon and Bower with the Samyang costing $30 more than the Rokinon and Bower versions ($329).  If they are the exact same lens, then why the difference in price?

Aside from price my other concern is the lack of available actual test reports.  The only one I've been able to find is dated 10/14/13 on SLRgear.com

My thoughts -

I scoured the internet for reviews and comments on this lens by most of its names, and pretty much everything was positive, especially at the price point.  I think it's a safe bet the lens is a good buy.  I am definitely happy with mine, at least as good as I hoped it would be.

On the name, I think the brands are targeted at different geographical areas, and the pricing reflects the lens being acquired through different distribution channels and possibly exchange rates.  That's a guess on my part, though.

lilmsmaggie

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2013, 12:05:37 AM »

My thoughts -

I scoured the internet for reviews and comments on this lens by most of its names, and pretty much everything was positive, especially at the price point.  I think it's a safe bet the lens is a good buy.  I am definitely happy with mine, at least as good as I hoped it would be.

On the name, I think the brands are targeted at different geographical areas, and the pricing reflects the lens being acquired through different distribution channels and possibly exchange rates.  That's a guess on my part, though.

I agree the comments and reviews are quite positive.   Dustin's star-studded image with the wooden structure in the foreground is amazing.  The stars -- they look like pin points.

Now that's what I'm talkn' bout.    8)

I may just pull the trigger on the 14 f/2.8 Samyang post Xmas.   In fact, I think I'll rent it first. 

drob

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2013, 03:54:04 AM »
I'm using the Samyang 16mm 2.0 and love it. Focusing isn't to bad.  I've heard rumors of Samyang/Rokinon is coming out with something wider, 10mm, 2.8?? Only drawback to the 14mm 2.8 is that you can't mount any filters. 
Canon 60D, 24-105mm F4, Canon 50mm 1.4, 60mm 2.8, 85mm 1.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Samyang 16mm 2.0.

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2013, 09:20:50 AM »
I may just pull the trigger on the 14 f/2.8 Samyang post Xmas.   In fact, I think I'll rent it first.

Seriously....don't bother renting, just find a good price and buy it.  You will be thrilled, it really is all it's cracked up to be and IMO better than my version 1 Tokina 11-16 was....which was sold when I added a 6D.  Samyang* really did it right.  I also have the Rokinon 8mm fisheye for my crop cameras, it's not quite as optically superb as the 14, but for the limited use a fisheye gets I'm happy with it. 

*As others have noted, it's a Samyang lens, regardless of the name on the body.  I bought the Rokinon version due to the price.

lilmsmaggie

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 12:16:34 PM »
Yep ...

http://www.samyang.co.uk/index.php/new-products/new-samyang-10mm-f-2-8

I'm using the Samyang 16mm 2.0 and love it. Focusing isn't to bad.  I've heard rumors of Samyang/Rokinon is coming out with something wider, 10mm, 2.8?? Only drawback to the 14mm 2.8 is that you can't mount any filters.

Just pulled the trigger.  Merry Xmas 2 me   ;D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 12:26:05 PM by lilmsmaggie »

HankMD

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • SLR newbie since July, 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2013, 09:01:27 PM »
Picked it up for $279 when buydig had a sale.  Easily the best bang for the buck lens purchase I've ever made.  Waiting on clear skies.......

I watched helplessly as the sale ended while I awaited my CC to be verified  :(

PS: And that was the new version with the Red Line to push the fence-sitters/doubters to take the plunge.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:06:17 PM by HankMD »
6D | 7D | 10-22 | 40 | 18-135 IS | 70-200 IS II | Tamron 150-600

scyrene

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2013, 04:46:22 PM »
I have to add my voice to the chorus of approval for this lens. I've had it a few months, and it's been great. The price was so low (~£350 I think), that I felt able to take a gamble, and it paid off (I was heartened by the consistently good reviews I found online).

It is solid, and I dropped mine (don't ask!) a few feet onto a concrete floor, and it survived with no more than scuffs - the built-in hood does seem to protect the bulging front element. It has next to no fringing, as the reviewer said, and the sharpness is great.

A few gripes: when mounting/removing the lens, it's pretty much impossible not to twist the aperture ring, so it's hard to keep set (although easy to put back). On my copy at least, the distance scale seems wildly inaccurate - for astrophotography, I find 0.7m the right setting for stars - and anything closer to infinity is out of focus. Flare is often present, even from relatively minor light sources, but it's often unobtrusive. And of course, the inevitable lack of exif means you can easily forget precisely what aperture you were using.

But these are minor, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this lens to anyone looking for an ultrawide, unless money was no object. I have a small Flickr set of images taken with this lens here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/scyrene/sets/72157636579799955/, and I'll include a couple of images below to give an idea.

One last note, it is very challenging to get good composition with this lens, but that's down to the focal length. I'd never shot wider than 24mm on full frame, so it was a shock (even having seen lots of other images). It's very tough getting symmetry and a level horizon, and when you adjust for distortions, this can be a problem. But it can yield fantastic results when things go right.
5D mark III, 50D, 300D, EOS-M; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, 24-105L, MP-E, 85L II, 100L macro, 500L IS II, EF-M 18-55; 1.4xIII, 2x III + 2xII extenders; 600EX-RT; EF-M--EF adaptor.
Former lenses include: 70-200L f/4 non-IS, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2013, 05:08:15 PM »
I have to add my voice to the chorus of approval for this lens. I've had it a few months, and it's been great. The price was so low (~£350 I think), that I felt able to take a gamble, and it paid off (I was heartened by the consistently good reviews I found online).

It is solid, and I dropped mine (don't ask!) a few feet onto a concrete floor, and it survived with no more than scuffs - the built-in hood does seem to protect the bulging front element. It has next to no fringing, as the reviewer said, and the sharpness is great.

A few gripes: when mounting/removing the lens, it's pretty much impossible not to twist the aperture ring, so it's hard to keep set (although easy to put back). On my copy at least, the distance scale seems wildly inaccurate - for astrophotography, I find 0.7m the right setting for stars - and anything closer to infinity is out of focus. Flare is often present, even from relatively minor light sources, but it's often unobtrusive. And of course, the inevitable lack of exif means you can easily forget precisely what aperture you were using.

But these are minor, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this lens to anyone looking for an ultrawide, unless money was no object. I have a small Flickr set of images taken with this lens here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/scyrene/sets/72157636579799955/, and I'll include a couple of images below to give an idea.

One last note, it is very challenging to get good composition with this lens, but that's down to the focal length. I'd never shot wider than 24mm on full frame, so it was a shock (even having seen lots of other images). It's very tough getting symmetry and a level horizon, and when you adjust for distortions, this can be a problem. But it can yield fantastic results when things go right.

A couple of great images.  That last one in particular is a stunner!
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4