August 01, 2014, 10:23:54 AM

Author Topic: Sony A7R shutter vibration problem?  (Read 3753 times)

nda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
canon stuff...

canon rumors FORUM

Sony A7R shutter vibration problem?
« on: December 22, 2013, 02:43:57 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Sony A7R shutter vibration problem?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 07:54:22 AM »
But the Sony a7R has the best sensor available, which makes it a perfect camera. Everyone knows none of that other stuff matters.........   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 08:07:12 AM »
This is great news.  Just like with Nikon D600/D610 fiasco, Sony A7R price should become MUCH more affordable when A7.1R launches in a couple of months  ;D

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 08:56:28 AM »
All cameras shake, it's just this one is super light. This can probably be fixed via firmware for the people that want to adapt big lenses to the A7R for tripod use. The 70-200 f/4 is still a ways off I think for a longer native solution.

I've been shooting with the 35 and 55 and I've had no issue getting amazingly sharp images.
canonrumors.com

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 09:07:03 AM »
This must be making all Canon fan boys rejoice.
But if it is indeed a problem and not something like what said about iPhone antenna, then it needs to be fixed by Sony asap as they created something lovely and technology must move on and not be stopped just as it starts. Be it a Canon or Sony or Nikon product.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 09:22:10 AM »
Just when many of us were celebrating the end of the mirror slap. :( Moving parts shutter weigh far less than the mirror, and shake is more noticeable?. :-\

Harv

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My SmugMug Web Location
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 09:54:30 AM »
But the Sony a7R has the best sensor available, which makes it a perfect camera. Everyone knows none of that other stuff matters.........   ::)

Neuro, you crack me up.   ;D
Looking at life through a 1D4 and a 5D3 plus lots of red rings.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 09:54:30 AM »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 11:36:31 AM »
Just when many of us were celebrating the end of the mirror slap. :( Moving parts shutter weigh far less than the mirror, and shake is more noticeable?. :-\

No just as CR guy says - because the camera is much lighter than your typical FF DSLR and with a longer lens attached via lens collar and foot, the camera is just hanging in mid air. Normally thats cool on a rock solid 1DX or whatever but somehow on the A7R it's floppin about when the shutter moves. Even the tiniest vibration can muck up a shot with a tele lens.

Mirror slap is not an issue with DSLRs on a tripod due to mirror lock option.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 11:40:53 AM by Zv »
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 12:58:53 PM »
All cameras shake, it's just this one is super light.

+10
I found shutter shake in my SLRs in the 70's. I spent a lot of time figuring solutions to the problem because I was making very large prints from my 35mm negs.

This is nothing new, but the ability to zoom in on files has created a whole new reality among photographers looking for the slightest evidence of image imperfection irrespective of its actual visibility in a final print (which is only rarely made.
This is not limited to Sony critics and the current shutter shock alarmists in the mirrorless world but is a fixture of digital imaging.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 04:04:07 PM »
I think camera and photographer were dancing out of joy during shooting  ;D

It cannot be explained otherwise  ::)

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 04:04:18 PM »
All cameras shake, it's just this one is super light.

+10
I found shutter shake in my SLRs in the 70's. I spent a lot of time figuring solutions to the problem because I was making very large prints from my 35mm negs.

This is nothing new, but the ability to zoom in on files has created a whole new reality among photographers looking for the slightest evidence of image imperfection irrespective of its actual visibility in a final print (which is only rarely made.
This is not limited to Sony critics and the current shutter shock alarmists in the mirrorless world but is a fixture of digital imaging.

+1

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 04:09:34 PM »

No just as CR guy says - because the camera is much lighter than your typical FF DSLR and with a longer lens attached via lens collar and foot, the camera is just hanging in mid air. Normally thats cool on a rock solid 1DX or whatever but somehow on the A7R it's floppin about when the shutter moves. Even the tiniest vibration can muck up a shot with a tele lens.

And when Sony start using an electronic shutter instead of a physical one on newer cameras, the problem of mirror/shutter slap will disappear once and for all.

Meanwhile in Canon land, we'll still be using 1970s tech and still need to use mirror lock up in order to get sharp pics.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 04:09:34 PM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 04:11:49 PM »

And when Sony start using an electronic shutter instead of a physical one on newer cameras, the problem of mirror/shutter slap will disappear once and for all.

Meanwhile in Canon land, we'll still be using 1970s tech and still need to use mirror lock up in order to get sharp pics.
At the same time we still have wonderful optical viewfinders.

LightandMotion

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Light and Motion Photography
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 05:19:57 PM »
Using the battery grip, and using an L plate on the grip, adds the necessary weight to prevent shutter shake. Once the grip is attached, you can't use the metabones adaptor tripod foot anyway. No issues for me with the Zeiss 15mm, 21mm and Canon 24mm TSE. Not sure why you would use big long white lens with the A7R though.

1dX  l  1d4  l 5d2  l A7R
www.lightandmotionphotography.com
Alvin Ing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 05:19:57 PM »