October 20, 2014, 05:17:39 PM

Author Topic: Sony A7R shutter vibration problem?  (Read 4178 times)

LightandMotion

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Light and Motion Photography
Re: Sony A7R shutter vibration problem?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 04:02:02 PM »
I've contradicted my last statement and tested the A7R with some long lenses. I kept the battery grip and L plate on to provide some weight/dampening, and used a selection of long lenses including the 400 f2.8 IS. No appreciable shutter shake with this setup, though I can't think of any reason for me at least to use the A7R in preference to the 1dx for long lenses.

1dX  l  1d4  l 5d2  l A7R
www.lightandmotionphotography.com
Alvin Ing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 04:02:02 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 11:26:49 PM »
While I'm definitely not a fan of the Sony company, all cameras and all lenses have their own quirks that a good photographer learns to deal with. 

To me, one of the potential advantages of mirrorless bodies is elimination of the mirror and all the mechanical claptrap that goes with it.  However, I don't want a smaller body.  I'm hoping we will see a mirrorless Canon FF body that is the same larger size, uses the same EF lenses, but has no mirror to bang up and down.  Its coming, but when??

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 01:13:56 AM »
Just when many of us were celebrating the end of the mirror slap. :( Moving parts shutter weigh far less than the mirror, and shake is more noticeable?. :-\

No just as CR guy says - because the camera is much lighter than your typical FF DSLR and with a longer lens attached via lens collar and foot, the camera is just hanging in mid air. Normally thats cool on a rock solid 1DX or whatever but somehow on the A7R it's floppin about when the shutter moves. Even the tiniest vibration can muck up a shot with a tele lens.

Mirror slap is not an issue with DSLRs on a tripod due to mirror lock option.

Another reason why the "big and bulky" mirror slapping DSLRs still have plenty of life left in them. There will always be something to be said about ergonomics and solidity.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 12:26:22 PM »
I'm hoping we will see a mirrorless Canon FF body that is the same larger size, uses the same EF lenses, but has no mirror to bang up and down.  Its coming, but when??

When EVFs don't suck in comparison to OVFs.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 12:26:22 PM »