July 29, 2014, 03:23:17 AM

Author Topic: Help What New DSLR?  (Read 1081 times)

heyitslam

Help What New DSLR?
« on: October 14, 2011, 03:36:12 PM »
OK, so I am new to this DSLR thing. Not sure if this is the right place to write this.
I am interested in getting one, and was trying to do some research.
In doing so I saw all these rumors things and not sure if I should be buying one yet.

I have an offer for Canon 7d with 28-135 lens for $1300 brand new.
To me this seem like a great deal, Amazon has this kit for $1699.
However, I do not want to get a 7d and next week comes a replacement of it.
But I also don't want to miss out on a deal like this.

My intention is to buy the kit, maybe sell the lens, and buy either a 24mm or 35mm f1.4L.
Or am I better off getting the 24-70mm F2.8L as my first lens?

Purpose of the purchase is mostly shooting around the house, wife, kids, and so on.
Maybe take it out and shoot some landscaping as well.

Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

Help What New DSLR?
« on: October 14, 2011, 03:36:12 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Help What New DSLR?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 01:39:38 PM »
OK, so I am new to this DSLR thing. Not sure if this is the right place to write this.
I am interested in getting one, and was trying to do some research.
In doing so I saw all these rumors things and not sure if I should be buying one yet.

I have an offer for Canon 7d with 28-135 lens for $1300 brand new.
To me this seem like a great deal, Amazon has this kit for $1699.
However, I do not want to get a 7d and next week comes a replacement of it.
But I also don't want to miss out on a deal like this.

My intention is to buy the kit, maybe sell the lens, and buy either a 24mm or 35mm f1.4L.
Or am I better off getting the 24-70mm F2.8L as my first lens?

Purpose of the purchase is mostly shooting around the house, wife, kids, and so on.
Maybe take it out and shoot some landscaping as well.

Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Get your 7D.

This rumor is for a $5,000 to $8000 full frame full professional camera. 

Also note, rumors are popping up for discussion and most of them don't happen.  New camera bodies are released every year usually with minor upgrades, and sometimes like the 60D, a downgrade to fit in a lower price slot.

Get that 7D and enjoy it, nothing is coming soon that would be worth upgrading, considering the $1,800 initial price, and thats without a lens.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 01:42:35 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 01:42:53 PM »
@ Mt Spokane Photography:
Thanks for the info. You mentioned that an initial price point of $1800
"Get that 7D and enjoy it, nothing is coming soon that would be worth upgrading, considering the $1,800 initial price, and thats without a lens."

Is this the much waited for 5dmk2 replacement?
I was also looking at the 5dmkii number of shops in Canada has it for $2000.
I am not sure if I would want a FF or a 1.6x crop sensor in the 7d.
Reason I was leaning toward the 7d was the faster fps rate.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Personally, I feel that both the 7D and the 5D MK II are advanced cameras, not beginner cameras,  and are expensive.  I'd hate to see someone invest a bundle and then discover that they do not like the camera.

It might be better to buy a entry level camera and lens to use for a year or two and decide after you have used it, exactly what you need in the way of camera and lenses.

I'd also say that if you are spending $1500, get a $500-700 body and a $800-$1000 lens.  Bodies lose value rapidly and get replaced more frequently than lenses, which can be used for many years and moved from body to body.

What I'm saying is that photography is all about light.  The more light, the better your hardware functions.  A lens with a wider aperture is much more expensive, but gives you the abiliity to photograph in dark situations without flash.  A 35mm f/2 or a 50mm f/1.8 in addition to a wider range zoom gives you the use of a zoom outdoors in bright light and the ability to take portraits of family indoors without flash, or with bounced/diffused flash.

Of course, if you want to plunge right into sports and bird in flight, the high FPS of the 7D makes it a good choice, but the 28-105mm zoom lens is not the best lens for birding and sports, nor for low light indoor use.  Its fine for outdoor walkaround use, but you do not need a 7D for that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 01:42:53 PM »