August 21, 2014, 12:21:04 AM

Author Topic: RIP teenage Canon Shooter Molhem Barakat killed in Syria age 17  (Read 4774 times)

docsavage123

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Canon 7D, 5D Classic, T2i, 100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS, 400mm F5.6L, 70-200 F4L, 1.4 EXT ii, EF100 F2.8 Macro, EF50mm F1.8 ii, 40mm Pancake, Sigma 24-70EX DG F2.8, Sigma 17-35 F2.8-4 HSM, Sigma 18-50 F2.8-4 OS , EX430 II. Red Snapper tripod.

canon rumors FORUM

RIP teenage Canon Shooter Molhem Barakat killed in Syria age 17
« on: December 23, 2013, 06:08:29 AM »

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: RIP teenage Canon Shooter Molhem Barakat killed in Syria age 17
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 07:18:45 AM »

...wow. Just - wow.

War is hell.
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 07:26:40 AM »
RIP Young man

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
  • Amateur photon abductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 08:08:16 AM »
Extremely sad news and a huge loss. He did have some serious talent.

But somehow, without trying to take away anything from the poor kid or the suffering of Syrians, I can't hide that I feel shocked by the fact this news also bring me discomfort by grouping child labor, warrior child and marketting of war by the mass media.

Food for thoughts...
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 10:32:31 AM »
Sad.

aprotosimaki

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 06:49:40 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2527992/Teenage-photographer-haunting-images-native-Syria-circulated-world-killed-capturing-battle-rebel-regime-forces-hospital.html

Saw this article today - this guys work was breathtaking - he was doing work for Reuters in Syria

RIP

Thanks for the link. I agree with your judgement of his ability. He had a great eye. We all lose when this happens.

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 12:09:00 AM »

As a journalist he should have had the same protection as medical personnel of the Red Cross/Red Half Moon. 'Luck' should have very little to do with anything. Obviously, there's always a risk for war journalists, but any journalist should be able to work without fear of retribution. And hell if I'm going to concede that his death was his fault or his responsibility. He gave his life to inform us, the public, and we should reward him with more than cynically stating that he could have seen this coming.

Unless I completely misread the article, there was no "retribution".  He wasn't specifically targeted, he happened to be in a building that was bombed.

Such are the risks one takes when reporting from a war zone.  This should serve as a reminder to us all that the camera does not make us invincible or immune to the laws of physics.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 12:09:00 AM »

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 08:15:24 AM »
Unless I completely misread the article, there was no "retribution".  He wasn't specifically targeted, he happened to be in a building that was bombed.

Such are the risks one takes when reporting from a war zone.  This should serve as a reminder to us all that the camera does not make us invincible or immune to the laws of physics.

I don't think he was specifically targeted, either. What I read in AdamJ's post was that his death was inevitable, and if that is a guaranteed price to pay, I'd call that a form of retribution rather than a risk. "You can shoot this war, but you're always going to die for it."

It used to be the Syrian government's bombs and missiles that journalists had to avoid. But now rebel-held territory is widely regarded as a media no-go zone. Rebels no longer offer the media any assurance of protection. It's a lawless conflict: journalists are being kidnapped and killed on a weekly basis. There's no cynicism intended on my part and I didn't imply that the boy had it coming to him. But, if you put yourself at such extreme risk, it is likely only a matter of time. He must have known that. Any journalist going into that zone must be realistic about their safety.

I hadn't realized that, and it puts your post in another light. However, I still think there is a difference between being realistic about safety and accepting that your luck will run out. And maybe I *want* to be angry - realism is often confused with cynicism and I'm sorry I probably did that. But, as Burke said: "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." I cannot accept as a given that people in Syria *will* get shot, that violent death is inevitable, that journalists must die. It's wrong, even if there is nothing I can do about it but speak up. So that's what I do: "Unless someone like you/cares a whole awful lot/nothing is going to get better/It's not!" Morality is not rocket science.

Anyone who wants to be informed about the horrors of this conflict need only visit one of the well known gore sites and search 'Syria' or 'FSA.' Videos from this civil war have been the staple of these sites for several years.

No thanks. I have a vivid imagination and the bloodied 70-200/2.8 was quite enough. And I'd probably be more negative about his chances, which, as you now hopefully appreciate, I just don't want to be.

But you know, maybe my moral high horse is just a bit jittery today, what with the reindeer everywhere. Maybe some hay'll help. And some nog for me.

*sighs*
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 09:21:57 AM »
For me, death before your time is tragic no matter the age, the location or the "how"...

He was indeed talented and brave. OP - thank you for sharing the link
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 09:21:57 AM »