April 25, 2014, 01:32:47 AM

Author Topic: New DSLR on Tuesday, October 18, 2011. [CR3]  (Read 42403 times)

alipaulphotography

Re: New DSLR on Tuesday, October 18, 2011. [CR3]
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 07:03:42 PM »
All sounds pretty sudden. There was A LOT of 'no DSLR in 2011' only a couple of weeks ago. You've changed your tune. I probably will wait for a few more 'next generation' models to be released but at least there is progress.
5D mk III is still probably going to be the wedding photographers camera of choice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 07:03:42 PM »

Pajo Takamatsu

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 07:16:34 PM »
2 things.

1. As it's been mentioned countless times before....Nikon has a patent on the whole hardware cropping mode. You will NOT see this functionality in a Canon camera anytime soon.

2. It would not make much sense to create from scratch a new full frame sensor that is lower than the current chip. The 5DmkII is one of the best full frame chips made. The technology is over 3 years old now. I cannot see them engineering a brand new chip and lowering the MP count. If they put the 3 yr old chip in a 1D body, with new AF and computational power to shoot at 10fps...it would be a winner. Why spend dev time/money...retool the manufacturing...for a 16mp full frame chip? Can't see this happening. I don't need or want native 102K ISO....give me better DR.

Just out of curiosity what does Nikon's patent on the cropping mode mean?

I've been waiting for MK3 for sometime now and it sounds like I shouldn't
wait and get into the MK2 wagon soon.

Do I read this right?

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 07:26:02 PM »
Quick wikipedia-ing: the EOS 1V did 10fps on a moving mirror, the EOS1nRS did 12fps on a pellicle mirror. And the current 1Dmk4 does 10fps on a moving mirror. (and the best I can find out about the F1 is 9fps, although there probably was a motor drive for 14fps that i didn't find).
Surely it's gotta be possible to go above thiese numbers, we've had 11 years of tech since the 1V, there's got to be a more efficient motor and materials capable of the G-forces involved by now. If the mirror can do it, the rest is just software.

I definitely like the idea of the "2 frames per mirror drop" (or 3).
- Firstly, it'll have to be via a custom function, only for those who want it, because it will almost definitely reduce hit-rate (at least in the first incarnation, coding and algorithms will get better over time).
- Second, they drop the mirror in between each shot for AF-tracking. See my post elsewhere quoting canon talking about their new "dream AF in the near future". If this AF really is that good, maybe it can predictively track moving targets with only dropping the mirror after every 2nd or 3rd shot? Or it can process the images it takes quickly and has improved contrast-based AF to help it keep up without dropping the mirror?
Speculation now, of course, and it may not be in this release, but it will be in *something* within a few years, i'd bet. It'll take processing power and good coding, but it's not impossible.

As for the 18MP FF sensor, I just don't believe it one bit. There is absolutely 0% chance they are going to drop the flagship MP-count DOWN, even if it does 1 million ISO as well as my 7D does iso400, it ain't gonna happen.
If it's 18MP, whether it's FF or APS-H, it's got a 1D-label (or 3D, or 6D, just NOT 1Ds or 5D).
18MP could be the "APS-H crop" mode (i'm too lazy to calculate how big an FF sensor would be for that). If they release an 18mp camera now, then they pretty much have to follow nikon's route with the D3/D3x and release a 30+mp 1Ds sooner rather than later, or too many actual pros will jump ship (and i'll be on ebay to get all their 1Ds3s when they do).

Alternatively, it might be an 18MP FF sensor, iff (which reads 'if and only if' to you non-maths nerds), it's a Foveon-type. (but will they brand it as a 54MP sensor a-la Sigma?).

And just because nikon may or may not have a patent on hardware-cropping, doesn't mean canon can't work around it. P&S cameras have had "digital zoom" for years. the 60/600D has digitalzoom/hardwarecropping for video, so some are already getting around it in some way or another.
Does nikon have the patent just for APS-C cropping? canon can get around that by using APS-H cropping, or even their own APS-C cropping (seeing as canon's APS-C is a different size than nikon's APS-C). Depends on how the patent (if it exists) is written as to how easily they can get around it.

More things to speculate on that noone's mentioned yet.
- Modularity? We can already change focussing screens, how about the whole prism (ie, to a sports-finder?). Will than affect Weather-Sealing too much?
- Flip-Screen? Is pretty much out on a pro-body, for ruggedness and sealing. How about a separete plug-in screen? Even a battery-powered screen via the HDMI plug? Pretty much the same as tethered to a laptop, just a smaller screen and more portable.
- Square sensor? You're going to lose a lot of the image circle with a 36mm square sensor. And using one to crop 36x25 and 25x36 images wastes a lot of real-estate around the edges. Very unlikely.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 07:29:09 PM »
Do I read this right?

I wouldn't read anything at all into this, frankly.  Less than a month ago, it was pretty much a sure thing that we'd not see a new Canon dSLR in 2011.  Now, it's '99%' that we'll see one in a week?  Not the sort of detail on which to base a purchasing decision, IMO.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 07:33:03 PM »
and the best I can find out about the F1 is 9fps, although there probably was a motor drive for 14fps that i didn't find

Yep.  Here are the details.  Took a hefty motor to get there...

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2011, 07:35:42 PM »
Do I read this right?

I wouldn't read anything at all into this, frankly.  Less than a month ago, it was pretty much a sure thing that we'd not see a new Canon dSLR in 2011.  Now, it's '99%' that we'll see one in a week?  Not the sort of detail on which to base a purchasing decision, IMO.

Except: This is the first CR3 we've seen in a while with respect to bodies.
"[CR3] Treat this rumour as fact" says the image. CR-Guy is betting a lot of credibility here using the CR3 tag (although at least only saying "it's a camera but we don't know what" makes sense).
If you need it desperately within the next week, buy it now, but if you can hold off a week, i reckon it's worth a few days' wait. Even if "whatever" body is announced on monday, it probably won't be on the self much before xmas, could be a good time to pick up a cheaper 1Ds3/1D4/5D2/7D/whatever it replaces.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Pajo Takamatsu

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 07:43:33 PM »
Do I read this right?

"[CR3] Treat this rumour as fact" says the image. CR-Guy is betting a lot of credibility here using the CR3 tag (although at least only saying "it's a camera but we don't know what" makes sense).
If you need it desperately within the next week, buy it now, but if you can hold off a week, i reckon it's worth a few days' wait. Even if "whatever" body is announced on monday, it probably won't be on the self much before xmas, could be a good time to pick up a cheaper 1Ds3/1D4/5D2/7D/whatever it replaces.

Actually I can even wait 2-3 months but if the MK3 would be coming next September I'd buy it now.

I just want to get started usind a semi-pro dslr and practice my
lighting. I'm an old film shooter and can't anymore.

Kinda hungry to do some work!

:)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 07:43:33 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2011, 07:50:02 PM »

True.  But then again, check out this previous CR3 on a new body - 'new body being tested in the field...final testing before announcement...we'll see the 1Ds Mark IV before the end of February.'  That was February of 2010

Pajo Takamatsu

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2011, 08:01:40 PM »
Do I read this right?

So the MK2 is still the best option. I'll be waiting until the end of November to see.

I was checking out the upcoming D800 specs and seemed pretty tempting.
Then again, I've used Canon for years and don't really wanna switch.

rocketdesigner

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2011, 08:08:01 PM »
Do I read this right?

After reading this blog for quite awhile, I applaud CR for coming out with this bold prediction ... nearly a week before the scheduled event.

Whether correct or dead wrong about next Tuesday, I am glad to see someone (especially at a rumors forum) actually make an educated guess based upon evidence at hand and take the risk -- after months and months of "photo info foreplay".

Either way, next Tuesday will be an exciting day. Way to go, CR  :)

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2011, 08:15:41 PM »

As for the 18MP FF sensor, I just don't believe it one bit. There is absolutely 0% chance they are going to drop the flagship MP-count DOWN, even if it does 1 million ISO as well as my 7D does iso400, it ain't gonna happen.
If it's 18MP, whether it's FF or APS-H, it's got a 1D-label (or 3D, or 6D, just NOT 1Ds or 5D).
18MP could be the "APS-H crop" mode (i'm too lazy to calculate how big an FF sensor would be for that). If they release an 18mp camera now, then they pretty much have to follow nikon's route with the D3/D3x and release a 30+mp 1Ds sooner rather than later, or too many actual pros will jump ship (and i'll be on ebay to get all their 1Ds3s when they do).

I tend to agree. I almost doubt that Canon would decrease the pixel density on the sensor.  Given that that the 1DIV is 16MP, by purely extending the same density to full frame, you get about about 27MP.  That way users who absolutely need the 1.3x crop factor could be provided with a crop mode that still delivers the same resolution as the 1DIV.

Of course, this is all total speculation.

If the 1DV does go full frame, and assuming the 5DIII has a similar resolution to the 1DsIV, I can see a 1DV/5DIII combination as being a very nice setup for a lot of people.  Again, total speculation!

I can see a lot of people sitting on the fence though until Canon has revealed its full hand - 1DV, 1DsIV, 5DIII - before committing to new bodies.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

Orion

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2011, 08:26:36 PM »
GUys concerning the Singapore "Today" paper pictured, why does it look so fake! Or did I miss something? You can plainly see a different shade of black, etc covering the lower half of the camera body. . . and I just wonder where that add came from and why it's like that. . . .

niccyboy

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2011, 08:36:13 PM »
Do I read this right?

After reading this blog for quite awhile, I applaud CR for coming out with this bold prediction ... nearly a week before the scheduled event.

Whether correct or dead wrong about next Tuesday, I am glad to see someone (especially at a rumors forum) actually make an educated guess based upon evidence at hand and take the risk -- after months and months of "photo info foreplay".

Either way, next Tuesday will be an exciting day. Way to go, CR  :)

With all due respect to CR he HAD to come up with a something in case it is launched... I think the website would lose cred if he didnt announce something with a week before the event, I think it is better for him to predict it and it not materialise rather then make it seem like he didn't know it was coming.

I hope the info is credible and we see something coming through.

There is a 95% chance I'll buy it whatever it is if it's full frame. I'm a slave to consumerism.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2011, 08:36:13 PM »

fred_jb

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2011, 08:37:32 PM »
I think this is interesting, not because I can afford to buy one (sadly I expect it will be too expensive), but because if true it may give an indication of what else is to come.

Say they split the compact body 5D line - the lower res/video optimised version might use this same 1D sensor and get a 6D designation.  I can't see them producing a new sensor unique to just the low volume 1D series, so this dual use could get the volume up to economic levels.

A much higher res version with 30+MP might be the fabled 3D and could effectively replace the current 1Ds line, as I don't think Canon will again duplicate as they did with 5D II and 1Ds III.  As this would be the upgrade path for most 5D II users, and compete directly with the Nikon D800, I think this sensor would achieve adequate volumes even if only fitted to this model.

This then leaves the way clear to bring out an MF competitor to top the range, perhaps using some novel and expensive new sensor technology.

Fred

Dave

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2011, 08:40:14 PM »
I wouldn't wonder if it es the 5D - or probably 5D plus 1DS

I was on Mediamarkt (the biggest electronic market in Germany) last week to ask for a 5D/7D (I'm still not sure which one to buy). And they recommended me to wait "a while".

I can't imagine that a small salesman know anything we don't... but well... I'm excited... Can't wait till next week.

But actually I still don't believe the low MP... (but would be happy about it ;-)

regards, Dave

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2011, 08:40:14 PM »