November 22, 2014, 07:09:51 AM

Author Topic: Change from T3i to 70d, or invest in a new lens?  (Read 9843 times)

greger

• Rebel T5i
  • 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Change from T3i to 70d, or invest in a new lens?
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2013, 03:43:26 AM »
Nice pics streetsandtheaters. lcb if you shoot similar pics then get the 100-400 f4.5-5.6 Big White or wait till vs2. If it doesn't get announced in early 2014 then get vs1 when Canon Rebates are out. Not only will it cover almost all focal lengths that you will need for BIF and wildlife you will get a work out carrying it around. ;D
We bought my wife a 70D and she loves it. She hasn't had it long enough to tire of the 18-135 lens that came with it. You should go body only as you have those focal lengths covered already. I did a search for 70D for sports and haven'tread enough to know how well the 70D is in AI Servo. It is a very good camera and so is my 7D. I get good pics of BIF 7D. My wife has taken a few pics of BIF but hasn't set the camera up to use AI Servo yet.
Canon 7D | EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark l - EF 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro - EF 70-200mm   f/4 L IS USM- EF 100-400    f4.5-5.6 IS USM - 1.4 ll and 2X ll Extenders

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2013, 03:43:26 AM »

lcb

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2013, 05:46:51 PM »
Hi All!

Thanks, thanks, thanks!!

I really didn't expect to get all these answers so fast!
Believe me I learned a lot reading you!
I got good advices from almost all of your messages, and I got the point that first I need to think about the limitations with my current gear and what I expect from a new lens/camera.
I should really reply to each of your messages, but that would not be possible for me now - I need to do my luggage right now, I am heading to Thailand and Vietnam for my honeymoon!

So, summing up, I decided to invest in a lens now (actually I will buy it in Bangkok). I have now to choose if I go for the Canon 15-85 or another one you suggested, the 10-22 or equivalent.
The 15-85 will allow me to go just a little wider, but I like it covers a wider range, and as many times due to my work I can't take all my gear with me to the street, that would be good. I also saw some photos and  found it is
very sharp!
As I like taking photos to architecture and landscapes, the 10-22 will be great also...I like wide angles.
On the tele side, I think for the moment I am covered with the 55-250.

BTW I think I will buy some ND graduated filters for my landscape photos. As soon as I come back from my trip to Thailand and Vietnam I will share with you the results.

I take advantage to share with you some of my photos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/l_c_b/sets/
As an enthusiastic hobbyist, your comments will be highly appreciated!
Also perhaps looking at them you could see which lens would be better for me.
What it is for sure, in 2014 will dedicate time to learn how to use Lightroom and others.
I think that would be a clever investment...

Again, thanks all for your great suggestions!!

Have a Happy New Year folks!
Leo

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2013, 10:10:08 PM »
The 10-22 is an excellent addition to the two lenses you already have - particularly for the landscape opportunities that travel provides.  I would also buy a 50mm f1.8.  It's basically pocket change in today's
photographic market, but an excellent bargain on a quality lens.  (If you can double the money, the f1.4
is also a good choice).  The 50 will give you some extra light, but it, to my view more importantly, will also
force you to compose your pictures and "think image" much better than any zoom.  My next choice would
be the 85mm f1.8 - also a price performing excellent lens.  The last two have the added advantage of
working nicely with a full frame camera when you decide to "step up". 

rany

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2014, 10:17:31 AM »
I want to update my canon to 70D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2014, 10:17:31 AM »