October 23, 2014, 08:05:27 AM

Author Topic: Canon & Oracle Team Up  (Read 2769 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon & Oracle Team Up
« on: October 11, 2011, 08:42:57 AM »
From Market Watch

Oracle, Oracle Japan, Canon Inc., and Canon IT Solutions have revealed plans to combine imaging technologies from Canon with Oracle? software products, including Oracle Database, Oracle WebLogic Server, Oracle SOA Suite, Oracle WebCenter, and Java Platform Micro Edition (Java ME). The partnership is built on a long, successful relationship between Oracle and Canon, wherein Canon has integrated Oracle’s database, middleware and Java ME capabilities into its multifunction office systems and software technologies.

Read More

thanks Derek

cr

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:56:28 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon & Oracle Team Up
« on: October 11, 2011, 08:42:57 AM »

Keith

Re: Canon & Oracle Team Up
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 08:51:53 AM »
I hope this partnership stays within the realm of office products and services, and away from my camera.  Oracle's behavior, especially after acquiring SUN, has been awful.  Between its treatment of acquired open-source projects and its outlandish use of IP against its business 'partners', I hope Canon knows what they're getting themselves into.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:23:41 AM »
I hope this partnership stays within the realm of office products and services, and away from my camera.  Oracle's behavior, especially after acquiring SUN, has been awful.  Between its treatment of acquired open-source projects and its outlandish use of IP against its business 'partners', I hope Canon knows what they're getting themselves into.

Yeah, consider me un-trilled.

As someone who's had to deal with the Oracle licensing enforcement thugs after purchasing exactly what the sales people told us we needed; I'm not going to trust them any farther than I could throw them. (I guess they made some concessions though, our bill only went from $80k to $320K, not the $640k the lawyers really wanted)

KitH

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 11:02:35 AM »
+1

:(

Oh well.  Having been on the receiving end of Oracle and their idea of managing technical partnerships, that will just about do it for me.  Nikon here I come.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 11:07:29 AM »
I really can't see any Oracle functionality making its way into Canon's dSLR line.  However, many other PP platforms (Aperture, LR) do a good job of library management - something at which DPP, frankly, sucks.  So, if this partnership is going to impact Canon's photography business, I expect it will be on the computer software side - DPP, ImageBrowser, etc.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

lol

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My dA
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 01:07:41 PM »
Oracle must be doing something right to be one of the biggest companies in the world, but they're far from my favourite, and definitely not one I'd like to see too close a relationship with. At a consumer level do they have anything remotely interesting other than Java?
Canon 1D, 300D IR, 450D full spectrum, 600D, 5D2, 7D, EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L
EF-S 15-85, TS-E 24, MP-E 65, Zeiss 50/2 macro, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8 OS, Samyang 8mm fisheye

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 01:46:02 PM »
Oracle must be doing something right to be one of the biggest companies in the world, but they're far from my favourite

Much like SAP.  Lack of competition in the segment, maybe?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 01:46:02 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 04:50:22 PM »
Oracle is ruthless when it comes to doing business - that is how they succeed and make money.

Oracle doesn't waste its time chasing $100,000 deals - it won't even raise a finger unless there is another zero attached and it takes two before you really get the attention of sales folks.

Oracle sells to the business, not to IT - a very different strategy.

I just hope that whatever deal is going on here that there is no incremental price increase in response to technology being licensed. For example, unbundled (or free-trial, pay for full use) software to manage your digital library. Something to sell to consumers that is cheaper than Lightroom but better than DPP (or an add-on to DPP.) I'm just hoping that DPP doesn't become a pay-for product as is Nikon's software.

A possibility here might be a software package that is a one-click solution for turning your PC into a web server for local network access to your images. Again, think about providing a simple solution for home users that want to access their pictures from any computer in the house, not just the one where everything is stored.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 04:50:22 PM »