September 01, 2014, 11:18:18 AM

Author Topic: Photography kit getting more expensive...  (Read 2190 times)

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Photography kit getting more expensive...
« on: October 07, 2011, 01:26:04 PM »
http://www.x-convert.com/chart/USD-JPY?period=5y

http://www.x-convert.com/chart/GBP-JPY?period=5y

Bugger.  Still, good for exports... If we actually made anything they wanted!

canon rumors FORUM

Photography kit getting more expensive...
« on: October 07, 2011, 01:26:04 PM »

Jedifarce

Re: Photography kit getting more expensive...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 01:27:46 AM »
http://www.x-convert.com/chart/USD-JPY?period=5y

http://www.x-convert.com/chart/GBP-JPY?period=5y

Bugger.  Still, good for exports... If we actually made anything they wanted!

Military hardware made with japanese components.... I remember when it was 240 yen to the dollar, kinda miss those days. 

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 08:57:21 PM »
Since prices have not went up that much in US dollars, doesn't it mean that equipment costs less (in Japanese Yen)?  We are getting bargain prices in the USA because Canon hedges currency by having large investments in US dollars.

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 11:14:44 PM »
Since prices have not went up that much in US dollars, doesn't it mean that equipment costs less (in Japanese Yen)?  We are getting bargain prices in the USA because Canon hedges currency by having large investments in US dollars.

Yes, the yen-denominated price of equipment sold in the US is lower.

Brick and mortar prices on shelves lag FX movements by a surprisingly long time. Canon HQ have to decide to adjust prices, then the retailers follow. Canon might be cautious about passing on FX moves to consumers immediately, because they don't want to squash their sales.  Also, some of the costs of distribution are US dollar denominated (e.g. cost of running a US based retail operation).

Most $US denominated investments won't do well for them when the $USD goes down against the Yen.

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 12:12:43 AM »
Ilford's still around, isn't it?  And even though I live in Australia I buy your "Outdoor Photography" magazine.  So there's a couple of things the UK still exports :)

I sometime glance through the classified in the back of the magazine.  UK prices are almost double Australian Prices, and we're nowhere near US prices on most things.  But oddly enough, I pay $AUD12.50 for the magazine.  Its been that price for ages.  That equates to about 8 pounds.  Yet the cover price is 3.95 and our dollar has doubled against the GBP in recent years.  Film and chemical prices also seem unchanged.  Somebody's making a killing somewhere.

By the way, you do know that most Aussies are now driving Bentleys, Rolls Royces, Jags and Aston Martins because they're so cheap! ;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 12:25:07 AM by Hillsilly »
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 02:07:13 PM »
Ilford's still around, isn't it?  And even though I live in Australia I buy your "Outdoor Photography" magazine.  So there's a couple of things the UK still exports :)

I sometime glance through the classified in the back of the magazine.  UK prices are almost double Australian Prices, and we're nowhere near US prices on most things.  But oddly enough, I pay $AUD12.50 for the magazine.  Its been that price for ages.  That equates to about 8 pounds.  Yet the cover price is 3.95 and our dollar has doubled against the GBP in recent years.  Film and chemical prices also seem unchanged.  Somebody's making a killing somewhere.

By the way, you do know that most Aussies are now driving Bentleys, Rolls Royces, Jags and Aston Martins because they're so cheap! ;)

I guess they could afford a 747 as well in that case.  It would boost the US economy if they did.   ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 02:07:13 PM »