October 20, 2014, 05:54:27 PM

Author Topic: 600 ex rt GEL holder, seriously?  (Read 5646 times)

joshmurrah

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: 600 ex rt GEL holder, seriously?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 02:20:43 PM »
After trying these with a Flashbender in preparation for a wedding, and seeing how easily they become dislodged, mine went back into the box, never to be used again.

The other issue I had with them, was that there's only a couple of colors included, or even available, that fit the holder... so not useful to me at all.

I have some Rogue brand gel kits in my wish list instead.
gripped 5DIII, 70-200 f/2.8L II, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 8-15 f/4L, 50 f/1.2L, 85 f/1.2L II, 2x III, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 02:20:43 PM »

Joe M

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Joe Mayer Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 03:22:16 PM »
I'm sure others have mentioned this before, but the least Canon should have done (or at least offer as an expensive option) is to simply offer the "holder" the colour of the gel that we need.  Sure it can still pop off easily and is a little finicky (probably will be changed with MKII) but at least you'd have no light leakage.  There just has to be some guy somewhere in Canon just drooling over the possibility of selling these pieces of plastic in every colour we need. 

Joe M

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Joe Mayer Photography
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 03:24:15 PM »
After trying these with a Flashbender in preparation for a wedding, and seeing how easily they become dislodged, mine went back into the box, never to be used again.

That's the clincher.  I know exactly what you mean about using a flashbender.  This gel holder is sort of delicate and then you try and wrap something else on the flash?  It's as if the holder doesn't want to share.  :)

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 04:44:22 PM »

Yes, I could see adding another add-on accessory to the flash dislodging the holder, especially some of the larger flashbenders which are heavy.  It doesn't really appear to be designed to be used with a second accessory.  So if you want to do that, as you stated you are best going for something else.

The other issue I had with them, was that there's only a couple of colors included, or even available, that fit the holder... so not useful to me at all.

You can actually get perfectly cut and quite cheap gels for the 600RT of all different temps and colors here (they ship intl):
http://www.flashgels.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13&sort=20a&page=1

So if you do like the holder and can accept/work around its limitations, then there are some more color temp options for you.

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 02:34:09 PM »
I don't like using the OEM gel holder myself, but after playing around with it, I found that by using black electrical tape (or equivalent) and taping the sides of the holder prevents the light leak/color balance issue.

I've been playing around with it more and am considering just painting the interior sides of the holder with black, matte paint.
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

Sam18

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 12:15:00 PM »
Would this allow you to have the flash in a "bent" position, or only straight up?
TIA.

And that is why I wrote earlier I used black tape to the sides. it even then leaked a little due to the holder isn't flush with the flash head.

I have used my flashes quite hard, and kept a finger on the gel and/or flash head every now and then to make sure it isn't melting, and it's not even kind of warm, so at least for me, melting is a complete non issue. As long as the gel isn't touching the flash head, I'm not worried.

Another option might be a black elastic wristband, like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Gamma-Elite-Single-Wrist-Bands/dp/B002MZZETI/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1389122354&sr=8-13&keywords=black+wristband

That would cover the gap entirely and allow you to use the gel reader.
EOS 6D, EOS SL1, some lenses
Speedlite 600 EX RT and YongNuo YN ST E3 RT
Speedlite 430 EX II x2 and Phottix Strato Multi II Transmitter, Receiver x2

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 02:16:09 PM »
As luck would have it the MagMod gel holder I ordered arrived recently; the band holds tight to the flash and the gel holder seems solid on it.  The gels seem easily scratched but I doubt that can be helped, worst-case I can bond some gel film to a thin oiece of glass or whatever.  It is much easier to change gels with it compared to Canon's somewhat awkward holder.  Photos later if anyone is interested.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 02:16:09 PM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 03:59:47 PM »
As luck would have it the MagMod gel holder I ordered arrived recently; the band holds tight to the flash and the gel holder seems solid on it.  The gels seem easily scratched but I doubt that can be helped, worst-case I can bond some gel film to a thin oiece of glass or whatever.  It is much easier to change gels with it compared to Canon's somewhat awkward holder.  Photos later if anyone is interested.

Jim

Good stuff ! I'm highly interested in your experience with the MagMod, it looks awesome.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 06:23:17 PM »
As if I need another gadget in my bag! I keep it visually unattractive and simple...and ultra compact. Regular sheet CC gel cut roughly to size (a bit over-sized) and lashed to the 580EXII with a strong rubber band. I've never worried in the slightest about scratched gels. You ought to see the CC gels I use on the Einsteins! They're battered but still Color Correct like new.

-pw

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 11:50:58 PM »

Jim

Good stuff ! I'm highly interested in your experience with the MagMod, it looks awesome.

I'll try for next week; I'm fully occupied until then but I'll be in better shape afterward.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 11:50:58 PM »