August 22, 2014, 06:31:53 PM

Author Topic: The unbreakable is broken.  (Read 6776 times)

gjones5252

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
The unbreakable is broken.
« on: December 28, 2013, 01:46:24 AM »
So finally payed up and bought a few pelican cases. 1540 I think and the 1740. Sadly the 1740 got shipped to me cracked! I am blown away! I thought this was the unbreakable box. Super nervous now. The cracking happened when there was nothing in it and the cardboard shipping box had very little to no damage on it. Bought this so I can ship my stuff to Jamaica to do a job. Now wondering if I should switch! Any one had this happen to them ? Should I stay with pelican?

canon rumors FORUM

The unbreakable is broken.
« on: December 28, 2013, 01:46:24 AM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: The unbreakable is broken.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 07:41:55 AM »
So finally payed up and bought a few pelican cases. 1540 I think and the 1740. Sadly the 1740 got shipped to me cracked! I am blown away! I thought this was the unbreakable box. Super nervous now. The cracking happened when there was nothing in it and the cardboard shipping box had very little to no damage on it. Bought this so I can ship my stuff to Jamaica to do a job. Now wondering if I should switch! Any one had this happen to them ? Should I stay with pelican?
I have shipped electronics and tools all over the place in pelican cases and never had one break... Including weights of over 300 pounds in one, and having one fall 75 feet from the deck of a ship into the Atlantic Ocean.

Send it back! For that kind of damage to have occurred in shipping the cardboard box they ship them in would have been shredded!
The best camera is the one in your hands

gjones5252

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 10:38:46 AM »
Thank you for increasing my confidence. I sent the broken one back to bh and they will be shipping me a new one. The box wasn't barely scratched at all so I think it was a case of something dropped on it or a fork lift or something pressed down on it while moving something.

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 04:29:11 PM »
Weird stuff can happen during shipping - I have received a wooden desk with a massive dent, and the cardboard box looked almost ok.
If someone ran the forklift into the case, it could possibly crack the Pelican case without to much deformation, so that the cardboard stayed more or less intact (most other items would have collapsed completely, causing more deformation, causing the cardboard to rip ==> more obvious damage on the outside).
Just get a replacement and enjoy :)

Seanlucky

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 07:15:03 PM »
Wow, I've never seen anything like that! It's possible that there may have been a fault in the manufacturing process. I have about 30 Pelican cases of varying sizes at my work used to transport everything from audio recorders to strobe equipment, the only problem we've had with them is the occasional broken wheel (after many years of heavy abuse).

Glad to hear they're replacing your case no problem. I've had great customer service from them as well.

Botts

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 08:47:45 PM »

I use Pelicans extensively for shooting gear.  I've never seen anything like this happen on a Pelican before.

My immediate thought is that this may be a counterfeit.  There are some counterfeit Pelican products floating around online.

Barring that, it's probably been horrifically abused during its lifespan at some time.  I've seen people drive cars over Pelican cases with no damage.

Personally, I buy HPRC or Underwater Kinetics cases now, as I find they are at least 95% the quality of the Pelicans, but well under half the price.
6D, Sigma 35/1.4, 40STM, 50/1.4, 70-200/4 IS, 430ex II
T2i, 17-55/2.8 IS, 270ex

RunAndGun

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 08:52:20 PM »
I have several thousands of dollars in Pelican(and Storm) cases for my gear, in addition to a few Thermodyne's for my big cameras, and a few other brands of hard cases.  Nothing is truly unbreakable, but they are very tough and give your gear a fighting chance during transit.  The cases(and padding) are designed to take the punishment so your gear doesn't, but you shouldn't receive a new, unused case in this condition.  Send it back, they will replace it(Pelican or your dealer.  But I would think the dealer would cover it in this case).  They aren't kidding when they say they are guaranteed for life. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 08:52:20 PM »

weixing

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 09:20:58 PM »
Hi,
    I remember when I got my pelican case a few years back, I saw this in the "LEGENDARY PELICAN UNCONDITIONAL LIFETIME GUARANTEE OF EXCELLENCE" disclaimer: "The above guarantee does not cover sharkbite, bear attack or children under 5."... ha ha ha  :P

Have a nice day and Happy New Year eve.

Oneand0

• Power Shot G16
  • Travel and photograph safe!
    • View Profile
    • Smugmug
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 11:45:57 PM »
That damage is in a weird location. I too use Pelican all the time shipping anything from 50 lbs to 15 and never had anything break. Only the rolling wheels have cracked, but were replaced. My job buys mine for computer work and would buy my own if needed.
6D, Zeiss 21mm, 17-40mm, 24-105mm, 100-400mm, and Samyang 14mm 2.8, Samyang 85mm 1.4., 40mm 2.8, Gitzo 3541LS

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 04:47:55 AM »
I would suggest the case was damaged before shipping, not during. Given what you say about the box it came in, and everyone's experience, it was like that when it was packed  :(
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

bobby samat

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Bobby Samat Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 01:25:13 PM »
i bought a carry-on size pelican for a trip last year.  i'm not used to jeep hatches and the pelican wound up falling out of the rental jeep and onto the concrete with all my gear inside.

the case landed squarely on one of the wheels.  the wheel still works fine.  the case itself is fine.  all my gear was sung inside the case and was perfect.  it fell from about 3.5 feet.

it's dissapointing to see one cracked, but at least it cracked on the way to you and not with all your stuff inside. 
5D3, TS-E 17mm f/4L, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 03:31:31 PM »
If I were you, I would be more concerned with all the ISO noise in the image!  LOL!  :P
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

gjones5252

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 09:33:26 PM »
If I were you, I would be more concerned with all the ISO noise in the image!  LOL!  :P
HAha yeah that when i am using the "best camera in the world- Iphone." -my wife.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 09:33:26 PM »

AcutancePhotography

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 07:34:08 AM »
Nothing is unbreakable.  Our 2 year old grandkid can attest to that.  :)
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 07:51:10 AM »
We just got back a damaged pelican case at work.... Air Canada ran a forklift through it. Fortunately, they hit the box with the tools, not the one with the 60Ghz spectrum analyzer.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 07:51:10 AM »