July 29, 2014, 04:16:26 PM

Author Topic: 1D Mark III vs. waiting for 5D MK III  (Read 7390 times)

Antiheld

1D Mark III vs. waiting for 5D MK III
« on: October 13, 2011, 04:47:50 PM »
Hey guys!

I want to hear your opinions.
At the moment I'm waiting for the 5D Mark III. (As like half of the Canon users, it seems!)
So when I saw a 1D Mark III body for pretty cheap ($1500) I started thinking about maybe getting me a 1D Mark III first?
But then, what if the 5D Mark III comes with 7FPS - would make my 1D Mark III pretty useless then?!

Someone help me deciding, lol.

Best regards from Switzerland
Antiheld

PS:
Currently I'm on a Canon EOS 450D, owning the 50mm f/1.4, a cheap-ass Sigma 70-300 and the EX-580 II...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 04:54:57 PM by Antiheld »

canon rumors FORUM

1D Mark III vs. waiting for 5D MK III
« on: October 13, 2011, 04:47:50 PM »

zhap03

Re: 1D Mark III vs. waiting for 5D MK III
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 05:05:29 PM »
You really need to ask yourself about the different form factors of both cameras too.  That's something people don't think about when they are wondering about pro bodies.

I have a 1Ds3 and 7D... did have a 5D at one point.  When I did have my 5D, I found myself reaching for the 5D more often than the 1Ds3, for casual picture-taking.  The smaller body was easier to carry around for casual shooting.  When I am shooting a job, I'll carry both bodies and the 1Ds3 is definitely more taxing than a 5D body after 12 hours of work.

On vacation, there's no question about it... I'd bring the 5D or 7D and always leave the 1Ds3 at home because of size and weight concerns.  As well, you really stand out in public when shooting with a large pro body.

When the 5D3 comes out, I may sell my 1Ds3 body and pick up two 5D3 bodies to continue on with my work and hobby.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 05:33:04 PM »

Kind of hard, since no one knows when the 5DIII will arrive nor what the specs will be like.  The 1D III would have better low light performance than your 450D, but fewer megapixels. 

Bottom line, I'd say if you're ok with the IQ and performance of the 450D for now, wait.  If you're fed up and need something new...why?  Faster frame rate and better AF for sports/wildlife?  In that case, consider the 7D (I'd recommend that over the 1D III unless you have a specific need for a fully sealed body).  If you shoot primarily portraits and landscapes, I'd hold out for the 5DIII or bite the bullet and get the 5DII now.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 05:37:27 PM »
First, you are aware that the Mark III is the 2007 model not the 2009 model, correct? So, you will be buying a camera that is one generation behind the current model and a year older than the camera you currently have. That's fine, so long as you realize what you are getting.

Second, remember that the Mark III has a 1.3 crop factor. It is not a full frame camera, so keep that in mind as well. Personally, if the 450D is meeting your needs, I'd invest in lenses.

(While writing this post, I see Neuro also responded. His points are well-made)
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 06:40:24 PM »
I would get the 7D instead of the 1D3. Actually I did, twice.
I doubt that 5D3 will go as fast as 7fps, 5 is more realistic number.
Don't buy something just because it's cheap. You have to decide what you need most - FF? or fast fps?
FF + primes !

spaceheat

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 07:12:16 PM »
Just buy a Powershot and call it a day.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 09:13:58 PM »
I would get the 7D instead of the 1D3. Actually I did, twice.
I doubt that 5D3 will go as fast as 7fps, 5 is more realistic number.
Don't buy something just because it's cheap. You have to decide what you need most - FF? or fast fps?

Adding to that... even if the 5D3 did shoot 7fps (I doubt it), it's AF would likely be unsuitable for anything that would actually need to be shot at 7fps.

If you're considering the 1D3, there's a good chance the 7D would better suit your needs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 09:13:58 PM »

Chris primadona

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 10:16:55 PM »
The 1d mkIII might be quite an old camera, but you can't compare it to a 450d  ;D
I just sold mine to start saving for the new 1d body thats coming and bought a 7d as a stop gap, and I can say the 1d was a much better camera in almost every way than my current 7d. I do like the remote flash firing and the built in level, but thats about the only pros over the 1d. I'm not getting anything from the extra 7.something megapixels and it feels like a toy even with the grip.
I'm waiting eagerly for tuesday!

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 11:05:06 PM »
The 1d mkIII might be quite an old camera, but you can't compare it to a 450d  ;D
I just sold mine to start saving for the new 1d body thats coming and bought a 7d as a stop gap, and I can say the 1d was a much better camera in almost every way than my current 7d. I do like the remote flash firing and the built in level, but thats about the only pros over the 1d. I'm not getting anything from the extra 7.something megapixels and it feels like a toy even with the grip.
I'm waiting eagerly for tuesday!

I had the same experience, a iD MK III is much better than a 7D, and your deal is a bargain.  I did sell my 1D MK III about 6 weeks ago for almost $2300 and bought a refurb 7D for around 1200.  However, I had a specific use for the 7D in mind that did not require a 1 series, or I would not have done it.

For most photography. my 5D MK II is the camera I use.

Jump on a $1500 1D MK III camera if its in good shape, and if you do not have AF-S lenses that you don't want to liquidate.

niccyboy

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 11:51:34 PM »
Hey guys!

I want to hear your opinions.
At the moment I'm waiting for the 5D Mark III. (As like half of the Canon users, it seems!)
So when I saw a 1D Mark III body for pretty cheap ($1500) I started thinking about maybe getting me a 1D Mark III first?
But then, what if the 5D Mark III comes with 7FPS - would make my 1D Mark III pretty useless then?!

Best regards from Switzerland
Antiheld

PS:
Currently I'm on a Canon EOS 450D, owning the 50mm f/1.4, a cheap-ass Sigma 70-300 and the EX-580 II...

I'd hunt out a 5dmk2, they sell all the time second hand in aus for between 1500-1900.

I'd choose that over a body that old.

If you have a 450d you will love the 7d too though. Depends what you are using it for

Antiheld

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 01:05:41 PM »
Thanks for your answers.
I'll just answer some questions you wrote.

I do want to do wildlife (probably most of it will be birding - I love birds!) - but at the moment I'm mostly doing landscape and portrait. So what I'm wondering is if I get me a 1D Mark III for 1500-1600$ now - wouldn't it be great paired with the new 5D Mark III (to come) or a used 1Ds Mark III (to be outdated since 1Ds Mark IV by then) ?
That's what I'm wondering. I'm fully aware that the 1D Mark III isn't a FF camera - since it wouldn't be for shooting landscape and portraits, at least not after I have a full frame camera - I would want to use it for faster things. Maybe I could even end up with buying a 5D Mark II and a 1D Mark III?
Since they're both awesome cameras on their terrain - and paired on pretty much any terrain.

Another thing: I strongly dislike the 7D. I just hate it. Everyone, even those that clearly do not need it, buys himself/herself a 7D. Yet I also dislike the small sensor with 18 Megapixel - why do I need those darn 18 Megapixels? I don't. As for the 8FPS - they're nice, but compared to 10FPS - no more that nice. Even less nice if you take a look at the release years of those two compared cameras. ;o)

However: what do you think?

Picsfor

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 01:41:20 PM »
OK, if you're into shooting birds - of the Canon range the 5D2 is the last one you would choose!

If you can afford it 1D4, 1D3 or a 7D.

As simple as. As for which, 7D or 1D3 - i've seen great pictures on both - you really have to consider what lens you need for that type of work. It will likely need to be an L class or similar in quality and that won't come cheap.

As for the 5D3, unless several miracles happen and Canon feel the need to do away with sales from all other Canon cameras, that will also not be suitable for bird shooting, and the price of it new will most likely be enough to consider the 1D4 as an option.

There is a CR3 rumour that a ff body is to be released this coming Tuesday - unless it is a 1Ds4, i'm guessing it could be the answer to your prayers...

I have 2 5D2's, and i can assure you that for weddings, portraits, still life and landscape etc, it is second to none. For sports and wildlife - i would get a 7D or save up for the 1D4, or the new body coming out...

Antiheld

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 02:37:02 PM »
OK, if you're into shooting birds - of the Canon range the 5D2 is the last one you would choose!

If you can afford it 1D4, 1D3 or a 7D.

As simple as. As for which, 7D or 1D3 - i've seen great pictures on both - you really have to consider what lens you need for that type of work. It will likely need to be an L class or similar in quality and that won't come cheap.

As for the 5D3, unless several miracles happen and Canon feel the need to do away with sales from all other Canon cameras, that will also not be suitable for bird shooting, and the price of it new will most likely be enough to consider the 1D4 as an option.

There is a CR3 rumour that a ff body is to be released this coming Tuesday - unless it is a 1Ds4, i'm guessing it could be the answer to your prayers...

I have 2 5D2's, and i can assure you that for weddings, portraits, still life and landscape etc, it is second to none. For sports and wildlife - i would get a 7D or save up for the 1D4, or the new body coming out...

I'm completely aware that it won't come cheap.
Thing is I'll have about 2'500$ per month to spend on photography, if I feel like doing so. When I decided to save for the 5D Mark III I knew that I'd have to get me the 24-70mm f/2.8 L, the 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II, high quality Hoya HD filters, etc. Probably for birds even a bigger lens, like a 300 or a 400 - or I might as well get me an extender - even though I'd lose quite a bit of quality... :-/
However, the thing is that the worst thing I could do would be buying a camera that I would no longer use after buying the 5D Mark III.

Kindliest regards

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 02:37:02 PM »

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 04:07:07 PM »
Thanks for your answers.
I'll just answer some questions you wrote.

I do want to do wildlife (probably most of it will be birding - I love birds!) - but at the moment I'm mostly doing landscape and portrait. So what I'm wondering is if I get me a 1D Mark III for 1500-1600$ now - wouldn't it be great paired with the new 5D Mark III (to come) or a used 1Ds Mark III (to be outdated since 1Ds Mark IV by then) ?
That's what I'm wondering. I'm fully aware that the 1D Mark III isn't a FF camera - since it wouldn't be for shooting landscape and portraits, at least not after I have a full frame camera - I would want to use it for faster things. Maybe I could even end up with buying a 5D Mark II and a 1D Mark III?
Since they're both awesome cameras on their terrain - and paired on pretty much any terrain.

Another thing: I strongly dislike the 7D. I just hate it. Everyone, even those that clearly do not need it, buys himself/herself a 7D. Yet I also dislike the small sensor with 18 Megapixel - why do I need those darn 18 Megapixels? I don't. As for the 8FPS - they're nice, but compared to 10FPS - no more that nice. Even less nice if you take a look at the release years of those two compared cameras. ;o)

However: what do you think?
So, you dislike small sensor, 18MP is too much for you, 8fps is to slow and you hate 7D for having all of those "features". Do you hate your 450D even more? It looks like you want that 1D3 badly and you are asking us to help you to justify the purchase :). If it will make you happy then just go for it. That's all that matters, really.
Most probably, 5D3 will have more than 20MP and less than 8fps, so you may hate it as well.
FF + primes !

Picsfor

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 05:17:45 PM »
So, you've said it - get a 1D4 or the new body. Really, the 1D4 is an excellent beast for wildlife.

As for lenses - give the 70-300 f4-5.6 a look. What a wonderful lens. It is reviewed at the top of the page, top right on front screen. Talk about sharp... And such a good price. Also, you'll get that 300mm reach instead of 200.

It is just such a nice lens, really...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 05:17:45 PM »