November 24, 2017, 03:39:35 PM

Author Topic: The New EOS [CR3]  (Read 101719 times)

J. McCabe

Re: The New EOS [CR3]
« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2011, 01:41:59 PM »
The closest thing is the Canon or other manufacturer's  MTF charts which measure contrast, (another way to indicate resolution).  So far, all Canon lenses seem to easily outperform a 21mp FF sensor at least in the center.  (edges and corners are another matter).  However, we won't be able to measure it on a camera unless the camera has a higher MP sensor.  We do use them on a 18mp 7D which requires a far higher resolution than a 5D MK II just fine, but only see the center portion.

How about testing with film ? Aren't there any films that are 'sharper' than 21MP ?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2011, 01:41:59 PM »

moreorless

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2011, 01:47:20 PM »
Long winded way of saying, although it adds to frustration, most people I think would prefer to know what will be available as it allows them to make decisions. As has been mentioned elsewhere, it would be great if we knew all the Canon (1Dx/5Dx/3Dx) models at the same time, oh and also all the Nikon / Sony equivalents  :D

I wouldnt be supprized if we were something about lower end FF models well ahead of time. You've got alot of pent up demand for the next mid level high megapixel FF body and those users will generally be alot more mobile than 1D/1Ds owners with less invested in lenses so more potentially for them to jump ship to the D800.

Justin

« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2011, 01:53:16 PM »
I'm sticking with mirrorless fullframe. I have no idea what that means for lenses. Hopefully they are smaller. We shall see next week sometime. Cannot wait.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2011, 02:17:43 PM »
I'm sticking with mirrorless fullframe. I have no idea what that means for lenses. Hopefully they are smaller. We shall see next week sometime. Cannot wait.

Which mirrorless FF are you sticking with?  Canon has made several film models with non moving pellix mirrors (like Sony) over the years, they used the same lenses.

photogaz

• EOS Rebel SL2
    • Photogaz
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2011, 03:06:11 PM »
I really don't understand if the lines are being combined doing it like this. It doesn't make sense to drop back on the resolution for the flagship model.

wockawocka

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2011, 04:10:46 PM »
Maybe:

18th Oct - 1D4x, Bayer sensor, Full frame, Exceptional Lowlight and dynamic range designed to run alongside the 1D4
26th October - 1DS4 - Foveon, huge MP
3rd Nov - Video Cameras and 5D3

With the olympics next year it makes sense to out everything before then to make sure it's wall to wall Canon for 2012, pleases all camps.

If this were to happen it'll be a tough act for any manufacturer to follow.

mediobarco

« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2011, 04:43:16 PM »
The new feature is the 3rd processor dedicated only for de AF system.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2011, 04:43:16 PM »

Picsfor

« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2011, 04:58:01 PM »
The closest thing is the Canon or other manufacturer's  MTF charts which measure contrast, (another way to indicate resolution).  So far, all Canon lenses seem to easily outperform a 21mp FF sensor at least in the center.  (edges and corners are another matter).  However, we won't be able to measure it on a camera unless the camera has a higher MP sensor.  We do use them on a 18mp 7D which requires a far higher resolution than a 5D MK II just fine, but only see the center portion.

How about testing with film ? Aren't there any films that are 'sharper' than 21MP ?

In a word NO.

I tested my 5D2 alongside my old Canon A1, both using a 50mm f1.8 lens.

I can assure you the 5D2 creamed the best film could offer. Even on low light the 5D2 come out on top convincly. It resulted in me selling my A1. And I have been using an A1 since the late 80's. Had 3 of them at one point.

And if any one is wondering, I did shoot at 12800asa on my old A1, cos that was its top setting. You just couldn't find the film so I had to push 3200asa to achieve it. Great fun and a great reserve option, but not against a 5D2!

te4o

• EOS 80D
« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2011, 05:28:43 PM »

In a word NO.
I can assure you the 5D2 creamed the best film could offer. Even on low light the 5D2 come out on top convincly. It resulted in me selling my A1. And I have been using an A1 since the late 80's. Had 3 of them at one point.

And if any one is wondering, I did shoot at 12800asa on my old A1, cos that was its top setting. You just couldn't find the film so I had to push 3200asa to achieve it. Great fun and a great reserve option, but not against a 5D2!

I did not want to come off-topic on this thread but I think the issue with "matching lens to body and vice versa" is important. If you think this way too let someone start a new thread (I don't know how to do it) after 18 Oct.
To my understanding, n00ne can really say how much a "lens resolves" objectively. MTF charts from Canon are notorious by being based on technical lens design and not on measurement, Zeiss measures MTF but it doesn't reflect reality in comparisons to Nikor and Canon, subjectivity is an issue, we don't have a more than 25 MP sensors ar present, as Picsfor states even film cannot serve as a base.

Edwin points out that there are many other aspects except sharpness and everyone will agree.

What I was after in the discussion about the "NEW DSLR"  is the common regularly occurring situation where you buy a DSLR and buy the best lenses you can afford to serve your purpose... and then 3-4 years later you change the body and notice half of your glass has been upgraded to Mk2 or 3 and the other half is already rumoured and you start saving again.
A new very good DSLR will come with a much higher price than listed to most of us wanting to match our lenses to optimize/maximize performance - it already happened to me in advance but I thought I could jump 10-15 years from now buying lenses capable of resolving more than double the current line.
So, an 18 MP FF is probably saving money in this respect... ::)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 05:33:35 PM by te4o »
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

gmrza

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2011, 05:53:58 PM »

In a word NO.

I tested my 5D2 alongside my old Canon A1, both using a 50mm f1.8 lens.

That was the experience I had recently doing a (less extensive) test of the 5DII against my EOS 650, both using the 50mm f/1.4.  The 5DII out-resolved the EOS650 hands down.  For all the "romance" of shooting film, I am not sure it is worth the tedium.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

april

« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2011, 06:51:43 PM »
i'm calling Shenanigans on the megapixels

the 18MP is stil possible as long as this new one will be a 7Ds.......... does anyone agree with me?

eos650

« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2011, 08:23:22 PM »
That was the experience I had recently doing a (less extensive) test of the 5DII against my EOS 650, both using the 50mm f/1.4.  The 5DII out-resolved the EOS650 hands down.  For all the "romance" of shooting film, I am not sure it is worth the tedium.

What a coincidence. I have a 60D and some new L glass and I am itching for a second body, which I hope will be FF. To tide me over, I pulled out my old EOS650 and went to the store and bought a dozen or so rolls of ISO 200 film. I took both cameras on a couple of shoots, relying primarily on my 60D, but at every opportunity, I snuck in a couple of shots with the EOS650.

After shooting 5 rolls, I had them developed and took them home to scan. I got some great shots with both, but the film images were definitely not as clear and were comparatively disappointing. It's possible that had these been professionally scanned, they may have been  better. In fact I plan to shoot the remaining rolls and will have some of them professionally scanned, to see how much of a difference it makes.

I showed the film pictures to my daughter and she absolutely loved them. She said they looked so old fashioned. Hmmm....

Also, it's rather funny how dependent I have become on the LCD. When shooting with the EOS650, I find myself occasionally looking at the back, wanting to confirm some of my shots.

Not knowing what you are getting certainly adds to the anticipation, while waiting to get them developed.

Justin

« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2011, 08:50:43 PM »

Which mirrorless FF are you sticking with?  Canon has made several film models with non moving pellix mirrors (like Sony) over the years, they used the same lenses.

The only way I am able to make sense of a camera with these rumored specs is if it is a complete departure from the existing canon lineup. Other rumors on the web (see 4/3 rumors and Photography Bay) suggest a mirror less digital full frame sensor camera from Canon.

By canon releasing a camera like this (mirrorless 35mm size sensor, etc) it is in a way a response to Nikon's mirrorless efforts, just far and away a more professionally oriented tool.

but where are the additional details? More leaked info? Teaser campaign? This doesn't add up for a Tuesday release...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2011, 08:50:43 PM »

Meh

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #148 on: October 16, 2011, 09:59:29 PM »
Haven't read through all the comments carefully but has anyone thought that maybe this is in fact a 1D5 and the specs are bang on except for one... it will still be APS-H.   A replacement for the 1Ds3 could follow, be announced simultaneously, or perhaps a new line to replace the flagship studio camera.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #149 on: October 16, 2011, 10:18:50 PM »
Haven't read through all the comments carefully but has anyone thought that maybe this is in fact a 1D5 and the specs are bang on except for one... it will still be APS-H.   A replacement for the 1Ds3 could follow, be announced simultaneously, or perhaps a new line to replace the flagship studio camera.

In fact, just prior to reading this post, that's what I suggested in the thread on irony.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: October 16, 2011, 10:18:50 PM »