July 30, 2014, 12:24:04 PM

Author Topic: The New EOS [CR3]  (Read 55640 times)

benem

Re: The New EOS [CR3]
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2011, 12:58:59 PM »

Who cares about the handfull of sports photographers while most professionals are wedding photographers, portrait photographers and photographers for editorial stuff.

The count is easy.
For every sports photographer there are at least 10 other pro's that rather prefer to have a full frame camera then a crop camera.

I bet Canon would like to see all those pro's that now choose the 5D above the 1Ds to come back to the 1 series and this is the way to reach that goal. Especially when it turns out that this 18MP camera is actually a foveon sensor like camera...

Its what all others pro photographers except for those handfull sports photographers have been hoping for.

The 12fps let me think that it is also destinated to sports photographers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2011, 12:58:59 PM »

fifowarehouse

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2011, 01:08:11 PM »

I wonder....what is the PRICE TAG for this camera?

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2011, 01:09:19 PM »
this is either foveon-like, or simething I truly don't understand

if b), it better have some amazing selling point in other areas, otherwise it may sell a lot less than they'd want

zimmy1

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2011, 01:29:29 PM »
Unless your goal is huge enlargements of exhibition/museum quality, 18mp is plenty of info. I have personally seen and made 16in and 20in enlargements that are crazy good from 12 to 18mp cameras. Most books, magazines, newspapers and the like, certainly don't need or even want these enormous file sizes. It's overkill. Portraiture, weddings etc.. have been done on far less megapixels for years! So most money making photography needs will be fullfilled with ease. Those who need more camera, simply buy more camera.

High dynamic range, noise/ISO performance, color accuracy, FPS, focus speed, accuracy and tracking, ease of use, user customization, durability, reliability are all far more important than megapixels alone. I think we may all be in for a real treat if they do in fact produce such a camera!

Polansky

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2011, 01:30:35 PM »
Unless, of course, the Nikon D4 is just as good.

If its 'as good' then you must expect sort of the same pixelcount as well.
No reason to think Nikon has found the holy grail to get spectacular better results out of the camera with more megapixels and to have less noise and better ISO performances.

They are sort of on par with eachother and I have no reason to believe Canon lost all of its know-how.

Tinnunculus

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2011, 01:31:18 PM »
Yes, I also guess its going to be foveon-type 18MPix...and maybe thats why nikon has to jump to a 36 MPix bayer-pattern sensor in the expected D800-to match the foveon in terms of resolution. It would be an interesting comparison/test between these two...

Ziggy

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2011, 01:45:14 PM »
Looks good, like to know the flash sync speed.  Hopefully higher then 1/250th

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2011, 01:45:14 PM »

Picsfor

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2011, 01:50:16 PM »
OK, let's take this rumour as spot on.

18mp - i think is spot on for portraits and weddings, as well as sports and wildlife.

61point focusing - 2 x digic 5 would allow them to make this second to none as well. We must remember that Canon still haven't fully recovered from the 1D3 focusing debacle.

12 fps. Yep, this covers just about all bases - lending to this being an all in one camera (Nikon style)

ISO and Dynamic Range - given what has been sacrificed, i would expect 104k iso as standard and DR to be top of the tree.

1D build quality and weather proofing, dual memory card slots with independent write to a given, hopefully along with wireless flash operation and Geotagging - all feasible with all that system capability going spare.

Video, definitely, and i suspect with auto focus and auto iso. 2 Digic 5's doing what only 1 is needed for...

I would definitely start saving up for this if it was a March release. 2nd 5D2 body going on sale once release confirms the facts...

Tarrum

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2011, 01:52:40 PM »
Unless your goal is huge enlargements of exhibition/museum quality, 18mp is plenty of info. I have personally seen and made 16in and 20in enlargements that are crazy good from 12 to 18mp cameras. Most books, magazines, newspapers and the like, certainly don't need or even want these enormous file sizes. It's overkill. Portraiture, weddings etc.. have been done on far less megapixels for years! So most money making photography needs will be fullfilled with ease. Those who need more camera, simply buy more camera.

High dynamic range, noise/ISO performance, color accuracy, FPS, focus speed, accuracy and tracking, ease of use, user customization, durability, reliability are all far more important than megapixels alone. I think we may all be in for a real treat if they do in fact produce such a camera!

It's actually not the megapixels that confuse us...It's how Canon has decided to do this. It's not their way to decrease them, especially in a flagship camera. This camera seems brilliant on paper, but Nikon already did that sort of, s let's wait for more. A foveon like sensor makes sense, perhaps Nikon will do the same, but it's still not the upgrade you'd expect from them.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2011, 01:59:01 PM »
Yes, I also guess its going to be foveon-type 18MPix...and maybe thats why nikon has to jump to a 36 MPix bayer-pattern sensor in the expected D800-to match the foveon in terms of resolution.

What makes you think an 18 MP Foveon-type sensor will match a 36 MP traditional sensor in terms of resolution?  18 MP is half of 36 MP, so an 18 MP Foveon-type sensor will have half the spatial resolution of a 36 MP sensor.  The Foveon technology means that no color interpolation is required, but color interpolation does not reduce spatial resolution.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

docsmith

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2011, 02:02:28 PM »
Honestly, haven't we all heard for awhile that the 1D/1Ds lines weren't selling all that well?  That the 5DII has become the camera of choice for many professional photographers?  And to improve the 7D, aren't you getting close to the quality of the 1D series?  Canon has to chase the market.  They can't just build this freakin' amazing camera that costs a ton that has a teeny tiny market just because they can.  And they have to adjust as the technology evolves to the point that "prosumer" cameras are capable of meeting "professional" needs.

If these are the specs, I suspect that this is more about repositioning all of the camera bodies than simply blindly charging forward with each camera body separately.  For example, 1DsIV: specs listed, amazing DR/ISO; 5DIII: 30+ MP, average AF, good DR/ISO; 7DII: replaces 1D series and 7D series?  This gets blurry to me as to if this is still a "prosumer" camera.  But I think my point is that as the technology is evolving "prosumer" cameras are getting so good, they will likely be able to meet "professional" needs.  The pro I know shoots Nikon but mostly uses D300s....they only have one or 2 D3 bodies.

thepancakeman

• 7D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2011, 02:03:44 PM »
It does intrigue me that this site has been pretty replete with "it's not about the pixels" posts, but now all the sudden, it's "where's the pixels?!?"   ???

Gothmoth

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2011, 02:09:49 PM »
<li>1D/1Ds line is about to be amalgamated. (Name Unknown)</li>
<li>Full Frame</li>
<li>18mp</li>

can´t see that happen.

1D/1Ds to be amalgamated..... yep could be.
new camera with 18 MP fullframe sensor... yep could be.

but... 1Ds with 18 MP bayer sensor... that would REALLY REALLY suprise me!!!

The Foveon technology means that no color interpolation is required, but color interpolation does not reduce spatial resolution.

but other things on a bayer sensor do.
as far as i have read a bayer sensor needs about 1.8-2.4 times the photosites to have the same spatial resolution then a foveon sensor.

4.7 million potosites on a foveon sensor are roughly equal to 10-11 million photosites on a bayer senor (spatial resolution).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 02:29:30 PM by Gothmoth »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2011, 02:09:49 PM »

steven63

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2011, 02:20:38 PM »

I'm reminded of Tim the tool man doing his grunt over a fine piece of equipment when I read about everybody wanting more than 18 mpx. 

18 mpx, FF, 12 fps, 61 FP (all cross type?) and assuming improved ISO capabilities (I'm confident of it) would be an amazing camera.  It really, really isn't about the mpx (imo). 

I'd buy this camera in a heart beat with those listed specs.  And yeah, I'd to the grunt  ;D.

J-Man

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2011, 02:27:46 PM »
There has been a lot of feedback that Canon sensors have been too noisy, and I agree, Nikon stole a ton of photogs from Canon because of their lower noise, and the AF debacle didn't help any.
While I'd like to see a Foveon type sensor in the 1series, I don't think it will be in this body, my money is on the 3D/5DIII,
what I do expect is a luminance pixel to add dynamic range to the sensor, and in body processing to tone-map the jpg output. So it's possible there are over 18mp on chip, but there may be a resulting resolution reduction in the final output.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2011, 02:27:46 PM »