June 18, 2018, 05:27:02 PM

Author Topic: The New EOS [CR3]  (Read 120854 times)

niccyboy

Re: The New EOS [CR3]
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
To anyone who thinks this is about sales volume and/or dollars of the flagship itself, think again.  The money Canon brings in from their top end cameras is small potatoes compared to their P&S and low and mid range DSLRs.  This issue is the prestige and branding image that comes with the perception that your flagship camera demonstrates technology that exceeds the other brands.  That perception drives sales of the a good portion of the more inexpensive cameras where the money is made.

From what I've seen, most Canon P&S and Rebel owners have no idea that a 1D-series even exists. Furthermore, most Rebel owners seem to leave their camera mode set to that little green box where the camera makes most of the decisions. In short, most of them are very unsophisticated. Most 1D buyers, on the other hand, are much more sophisticated or at least sophisticated enough to know what camera performance parameters are limiting their work. It doesn't seem to be resolution that they find limiting.

I disagree, i think a lot of REBEL owners know about the 1d series. Look at this forum and the signatures on the bottom. A lot of the regular posters here have Rebels. I don't drive a ferrari but i know a lot about them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »

niccyboy

« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2011, 09:38:09 PM »
I wonder if it will have the GPS capabilities like the d3 line.

I see lots of comments about GPS and honestly I don't quite get it.  Is it for landscape/street photography to note where you were, or what's the purpose on a pro level camera?  (This is an honest question, not sarcasm or anything.)

For a few of my projects, the EXIF data with the location is very important for the client. For example when we are photographing faults in rural projects from helicopters we use D3x's purely for the GPS ability, (the canon one isn't as simple).

I know it's something that will go largely unused, but it's not a difficult addition if they do it like the d3 series. With them you still need an attachment to a garmin or whatnot, but it's just the ability to connect it through a simple cable and the results recorded straight to the EXIF. I'm not a camera manufacturer though so it may be more complicated, but i don't see how.

gmrza

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2011, 09:52:07 PM »

I know it's something that will go largely unused, but it's not a difficult addition if they do it like the d3 series. With them you still need an attachment to a garmin or whatnot, but it's just the ability to connect it through a simple cable and the results recorded straight to the EXIF. I'm not a camera manufacturer though so it may be more complicated, but i don't see how.

GPS capability is going to become a "must have" in the consumer segment, plus the hardware is now being manufactured in such large quantities, that even if it is a capability that only a few people really need, it will be cheap for Canon to include.

Again something that is niche is the kind of barcoding integration that the 7DSV has - not many people need it, but it would make my wife's life a lot easier on some of her jobs.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2011, 10:31:49 PM »
My main concern about in Camera GPS is that it does not function well in the reviews I've seen so far, and it eats up batteries. 

I don't object to it, its a good idea, but it would be more attractive if it worked better than what we've seen so far.  The external GPS modules seem to work just fine, but are another item to drag around.

gmrza

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
My main concern about in Camera GPS is that it does not function well in the reviews I've seen so far, and it eats up batteries. 

I don't object to it, its a good idea, but it would be more attractive if it worked better than what we've seen so far.  The external GPS modules seem to work just fine, but are another item to drag around.

I forgot to add - this needs to be a feature you can turn off.  Sometimes you would prefer not to have images geotagged, and sometimes you do really need the battery life just for shooting.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

Meh

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2011, 11:23:50 PM »
If these are the new specs, and they're correct, and it's an 18MP FF sensor, then it can ONLY be one of the following:
a) Not the flagship and something better will come later (more likely)

Exactly!

Meh

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2011, 11:26:32 PM »
I get the feeling from that ad that was linked to that we're going to see the entire EOS line upgraded, and if that is the case then the rumor mill has really been starved of credible info.

Sweet!  Let us pray together.  Why not?  Digic5 is ready and manufacturing was already disrupted so good time to retool and release 1D5, 5D3, 6D, and 7D2 all at once.  LOL wishful thinking but it could happen :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2011, 11:26:32 PM »

niccyboy

« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2011, 12:16:40 AM »

I forgot to add - this needs to be a feature you can turn off.  Sometimes you would prefer not to have images geotagged, and sometimes you do really need the battery life just for shooting.

I do like the way the Nikon one works. It doesn't affect the battery life. It is an attachment and it's cheap.
I think Canon could implement this easily... it is pretty much just recording the GPS location off the attachment, not powering the GPS or doing anything other than recording the lat and long onto the exif, just as it records the time, date, copyright info etc.

AFAIK Canon currently needs the wireless transmitter base to use GPS currently, which is about a grand PLUS the attachment. I may be wrong, but this is what i was told when we were researching our kit and ended up using nikon on that job.

John Thomas

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • The Ascetic Experience
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2011, 02:56:18 AM »
If these are the new specs, and they're correct, and it's an 18MP FF sensor, then it can ONLY be one of the following:
a) Not the flagship and something better will come later (more likely)
b) A foveon-type sensor (my hope)
c) A corporate suicide note.

a) -> My take: Unprobably, given the way in which the event/camera is promoted

b) -> Perhaps this?
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,1209.0.html
 My take: :D :D :D

c) -> My take: if not b) then c)  :(
The "social charge" of an 18MP Bayer sensor in a flagship camera today is too high to sustain, even for Canon.

And now I'm thinking at the latest Nikon mirrorless "cameras"...
A small guy with a small Ascetic Experience (@ http://asceticexperience.com/ ).

Stuart

• EOS M5
  • Hi there, welcome from a photo fan.
    • JackAllTog on ePhotozine
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2011, 03:30:07 AM »
Availability in March - really this is ages away.
Canon 6D, 24-105, 50 F1.8 STM
Sigma 70 F2.8, 70-300.

Joseph

« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2011, 03:53:57 AM »
I dont know about any of you , but I am extremely excited for any DSLR camera coming out with a DUAL DIGIC 5 cpu's , I read this amazing cpu has 75% less noise than the Digic 4 - if you then attach these 2 bad boys to a beautiful 18mp+ sensored DSLR ;D I will poo all over my chair right now !!!! Noise is the one plague I want out of my images , and 18 megapixel is more than enough for any publications I or most anyone submits too - I can crop half of the 18mp image and still have enough resolution for full page print , Canon bring it on , but BRING IT NOW !!!!!! I'm ready for my new muscle !!!!! ;)

Ricku

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2011, 06:20:14 AM »
I dont know about any of you , but I am extremely excited for any DSLR camera coming out with a DUAL DIGIC 5 cpu's , I read this amazing cpu has 75% less noise than the Digic 4 - if you then attach these 2 bad boys to a beautiful 18mp+ sensored DSLR ;D I will poo all over my chair right now !!!! Noise is the one plague I want out of my images , and 18 megapixel is more than enough for any publications I or most anyone submits too - I can crop half of the 18mp image and still have enough resolution for full page print , Canon bring it on , but BRING IT NOW !!!!!! I'm ready for my new muscle !!!!! ;)

+1 ! ..or should I say +1000!

You took the words right out of me.

Picsfor

« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2011, 06:23:35 AM »
gives me a chance to play with it on Oct 26th at London Canon Pro show.

Then, if i like it, gives me the chance to save up and buy 1 or 2 of them  ;) by the time it becomes available in March  ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2011, 06:23:35 AM »

Gothmoth

« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2011, 06:39:27 AM »
I dont know about any of you , but I am extremely excited for any DSLR camera coming out with a DUAL DIGIC 5 cpu's , I read this amazing cpu has 75% less noise than the Digic 4

i think "has" is the wrong word here.

wockawocka

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2011, 08:28:34 AM »

Noise in an image comes from the amount of energy pumped through the sensor. The only point at which the Digic processor reduces noise is if you use it to reduce noise (and soften the image as a consequence).

Only an improvement in the sensor will improve the level of noise.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2011, 08:28:34 AM »