June 25, 2018, 04:02:04 PM

Author Topic: The New EOS [CR3]  (Read 121354 times)

Polansky

Re: The New EOS [CR3]
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
Doesn't anyone else notice the inherent problem with calling a camera "3D" unless it shoots...3D?
Seems that's already a longstanding moniker that would confuse the hell out of people. We ought to find another name for our imaginary cameras...there are plenty of digits available...2D,4D,6D,8D,9D, eleventy billionD, etc.

No, and who says that Canon needs to keep the letter D for digital...
All cameras in todays world are Digital and everybody expect no less.

Canon could easily call it 3x or 3s or whatever they like it to call.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »

Edwin Herdman

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2011, 02:35:55 PM »
Canon still sells the EOS-1 series.

Still not buying this rumor and I think it was a mistake to tie the rumor to the product launch rumor (even if they came packaged together they are two separate things to judge).

The D3s is also nearly two years old - it's not competition for a future DSLR.  New Nikon bodies will be.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 02:37:31 PM by Edwin Herdman »

Justin

« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2011, 06:20:51 PM »
Still not buying this rumor and I think it was a mistake to tie the rumor to the product launch rumor (even if they came packaged together they are two separate things to judge).

I agree with you here. It's a way for Admin (Craig) to prove that the rumor was right even without any solid information.

Also, what is with people on this forum? My karma keeps going down. I have never flamed a single member of this board. I've been a follower since day one, before Craig had his spat with Canon over logo and design. Every time he disbanded the comments and renewed them I would be one of the first to sign back up. I appreciate what he does, I do. I just think that Canon is a very tight lipped company and it means much less entertainment re: speculation than say the micro 4/3 companies or Sony.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 06:24:33 PM by Justin »

traveller

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2011, 06:40:09 PM »
Also, what is with people on this forum? My karma keeps going down. I have never flamed a single member of this board.

I'm unsure just how this karma is meant to work; I think that one's profile should show how many times you have applauded/smote someone (though perhaps not whom), so that everyone can see if a person just a malicious little troll.  If all you're doing is smiting people, then perhaps further action should be taken.  It seems that you can only applaud/smite someone once every two hours (cool off period?!).  FWIW I have applauded you so that you don't feel so bad about all the smites you've been receiving recently!

nikkito

• EOS 6D Mark II
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2011, 07:41:36 PM »
I've applauded you too ;)
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

Speed

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2011, 07:49:47 PM »
Looking at the specs, for me they are perfect....I'll take two.
My main need is for good low light performance & better DR would also be great.
18 megapixels are also pretty perfect for me.

I'm no expert but in researching for my next camera I have spoken to experts & across the board they tell me that the current "L" lenses can't resolve more than around 21 megapixels anyway & that they would be the bottle neck. 

If this is the case I'm left wondering why anyone would want more mega pixels.  I see that there are many experts on this forum so if the people I've been speaking to are incorrect, although I would find that very hard to believe, please enlighten me.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 08:04:44 PM by Speed »

Etienne

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2011, 07:57:58 PM »

I agree with you here. It's a way for Admin (Craig) to prove that the rumor was right even without any solid information.

Also, what is with people on this forum? My karma keeps going down. I have never flamed a single member of this board. I've been a follower since day one, before Craig had his spat with Canon over logo and design. Every time he disbanded the comments and renewed them I would be one of the first to sign back up. I appreciate what he does, I do. I just think that Canon is a very tight lipped company and it means much less entertainment re: speculation than say the micro 4/3 companies or Sony.

The Karma thing is not very useful. It does not relate to any post you make, and so does not indicate agreement or disagreement with anything you say. It seems to be just a popularity indicator which accumulates over time, without a hint towards why you might be popular or unpopular. Or maybe some people have created multiple accounts so that they can "applaud" themselves into apparent popularity.  Anyway ... I applauded you as well  8)

PS ... CR Guy ... A thumbs up or down post by post would be much better than accumulated popularity. That way we could indicate agreement or disagreement with a single click.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 08:01:32 PM by Etienne »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2011, 07:57:58 PM »

« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2011, 08:03:34 PM »
Now I'm no expert but in researching for my next camera I have spoken to experts & across the board they tell me that the current lenses can't resolve more than around 21 megapixels anyway & that they would be the bottle neck. 
 If this is the case I'm left wondering why anyone would want more mega pixels.  I see that there are many experts on this forum so if the people I've been speaking to are incorrect, although I would find that very hard to believe, please enlighten me.

21mpx on a full frame or 21mpx on a 1.6 crop?
There is a huge difference.   21mpx on a 1.6 crop sensor amounts to about 54 mpx on a full frame sensor (21*1.6*1.6).

davidpeter

« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2011, 09:08:37 PM »
This may be the very camera I've been waiting for since my 10D. Although is the markIII an incredible one too.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2011, 09:37:26 PM »
I'm no expert but in researching for my next camera I have spoken to experts & across the board they tell me that the current "L" lenses can't resolve more than around 21 megapixels anyway & that they would be the bottle neck. 

Technically, that's true, but it's a tautology.  In fact, no Canon lens can resolve more than about 21 MP, because that's the highest resolution of any Canon sensor, currently. You see the problem, I trust.  But, consider this: if you test the same lens on the 15 MP 50D and the 18 MP 7D, the resolution increases. That's true even with the worst lens tested by DxOMark (the cheapo 75-300mm f/4-5.6).  The relative pixel densities if those cameras were FF would be 38 MP and 46 MP, but even a cheap non-L lens is limited by the sensor, not the lens optics. So, we're a long way from being lens-limited in terms of resolution.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

recon photography

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2011, 10:01:54 PM »
i'm calling Shenanigans on the megapixels

niccyboy

« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2011, 10:10:17 PM »
I'm a little confused by the logic of announcing and waiting 5 months before releasing.

If they announce a new 1D on Tuesday, they will sell next to NO 1D stock between now and March, as people will wait.

The lower end Rebel etcs wouldn't have this problem as 1k for a body is a far more disposable amount than 5-8k.

People that will purchase a 1D will know the new one is coming, they will know.

Now if there is limited stock, then that again hurts Canon's sales. Why not announce CLOSER to the release date.

I'd understand if it was a NEW product, like the rumoured EF mount video camera, there is currently no predecessor on sale. So the wait builds the hype.

elflord

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2011, 10:50:17 PM »

There are some flaws with the "karma" system. There is one website I frequent that does the karma thing quite well (partly because they had some very committed trolls and therefore needed a robust system). The website is slashdot.org. Some of the more useful features are:

(1) It is made explicit that you don't score a poster, you score their post.
(2) Each post starts at +1 for someone who's logged in, 0 for anonymous posters, and +2 for posters who have accumulated karms.
(3) score on the post is the sum of the moderators actions. Post can't go below -1 or +5. This means that you don't get someone being kicked to the kerb for one bad post (because once 3 mods hit your starting score of -2, the post is at -1 and can't go lower). The asymmetry (that is, the fact that you start closer to the bottom of the scale than the top) discourages negative moderation. The fact that it's cumulative prevents the mods from hitting the same post repeatedly.
(4) you only get to be a moderator once your karma reaches a certain level

I think they might also have an additional rule for preventing moderators from moderating and posting in the same thread. It's too bad similar functionality is not available on most of the other web boards I visit -- these features have been deployed on busy websites for a good 10 years or so, it's not as if they're brand new.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2011, 10:50:17 PM »

Hillsilly

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2011, 11:18:19 PM »

No, and who says that Canon needs to keep the letter D for digital...
All cameras in todays world are Digital and everybody expect no less.

Canon could easily call it 3x or 3s or whatever they like it to call.

There are still plenty of film cameras being made.  Eos 1V comes to mind.  Plus there are a number of medium and large format models.  But, the buyers of these cameras know the difference between film and digital.  Its time for the "D" to go.

On camera names, I much prefer giving models names and not numbers.  At the very minimum, they should stop changing the numbers such as 40D, 50D, 60D - Just keep it 1, 5, 7, 10, 100, 1000 with a version number.

Numbers imply an inherent class structure and planned obsolesence.  They are a marketing tactic to encourage you to buy the latest and greatest by fostering a "Keeping up with the Joneses"mentatlity. 
Camera Obscura

Woody

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2011, 11:18:59 PM »
Also, what is with people on this forum? My karma keeps going down. I have never flamed a single member of this board.

Because this forum is no different from others. Someone will smite you as long as he does not agree with your opinion... regardless of how cordial and polite you are. This implementation of karma simply makes little sense... but oh well.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2011, 11:18:59 PM »