November 26, 2014, 03:28:42 PM

Author Topic: The New EOS [CR3]  (Read 58318 times)

fred_jb

Re: The New EOS [CR3]
« Reply #180 on: October 17, 2011, 12:21:32 PM »
Well, I still think it|s a new 1D series body. Check out the similarities:

Nikon:
D3/D3s - Full frame, high speed(9fps), high ISO, 12mp, pro body
D3x - full frame, low speed, low ISO, 24mp, pro body

In similar, Canons new line might be:
1DV - full frame, high speed (12fps), high ISO, 18mp, pro body
1DVs (or whatever it will be called) - full frame, low speed, high iso, 36mp, pro body

What I'm trying to say here, is that Nikons D3x is their counterpart of Canons 1Ds. If Nikon found a market for a 1Ds-like camera, I guess Canon won't leave this market to them. I don't think we see an amalgamation of the two 1D-cameras, but only that the 1D V is a full frame one.

I think it is effectively a merger of the 1D and 1Ds pro large body lines, but only in the sense that the next high MP camera probably won't be a 1Ds, and probably won't even be a pro build camera with integral grip.  Instead I suspect it will be the successor to the 5D II, albeit with beefed up AF and features compared with that camera.

We might then get a lower end FF/video optimised camera based on the 18MP 1D FF sensor, thus splitting the 5D line.

I wouldn't be surprised if we also got an MF competitor at some point using a new sensor technology and possibly a new lens mount.

Fred

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #180 on: October 17, 2011, 12:21:32 PM »

messus

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 17, 2011, 12:21:59 PM »
Well, I won't be buying a 18mpx full frame camera. Just not going to happen. I'm sure it'll be great for wedding photogs. It's going to be much less useful for studio, sports, and landscape shooters.

I've said before and I'll repeat. This makes very little sense to me.

Well it makes the absolute perfect sense to me, if this is true it's just what I am looking for,
and I will absolutely buy it, if not two of it !!

I am a landscape photographer, which shoot a lot in the dark. I would gladly switch 3mpx down
for improved ISO / SNR / DR ! 12MPX FF (Nikon D3s) is too little for landscapes/studio, but 18MPX FF
would be enough!

I don't need the 61AF points, but I would gladly pay the extra cost of it IF I get a FF with improved
ISO / SNR / DR !

I might not need 12-14fps, but I still would welcome it for my bird photography!
And a camera with these computing capabilites (Dual Digic V?) means this camera is a speed monster!
Which is great in a lot of other scenarios (USB 3.0, remote USB shooting / transfer, 4K video !!!, timelapse photography etc!)

I very much welcome this camera with the given specs, if it is a FF !!

If this camera is only a APS-H, then it will be a huge dissapointment for me!
(e.g. Since I as a landscape photographer need my 24mm 1.4 lens to be 24mm when working)

Bring it on Canon!

GeorgeMaciver

« Reply #182 on: October 17, 2011, 12:25:17 PM »
The Japanese understand honour, and Japanese employees would not bite the hand that feeds them. I'm not surprised at the lack of leaks. Europe may leak like a sieve, but that's part of why it's sinking. I'm looking forward to having in camera HDR as the G12 offers, in a semi pro DSLR, and have started saving.

8)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 12:27:04 PM by GeorgeMaciver »

Redreflex

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 17, 2011, 12:31:55 PM »
i might have entered this website around 30 times today waiting for an update that never comes :( :P

You may well be in the majority!

Gothmoth

« Reply #184 on: October 17, 2011, 12:59:19 PM »
The Japanese understand honour, and Japanese employees would not bite the hand that feeds them.

i call that BS....

you mean like olympus employees?
someone in that company (a japanese) has sure company money in his pocket.

http://www.43rumors.com/woodford-says-company-needs-to-be-cleaned-up-huge-23-value-drop-of-olympus-shares/

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:20:55 PM by Gothmoth »

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Time is ticking...;-)
« Reply #185 on: October 17, 2011, 01:14:43 PM »
it is 19:14 in Switzerland and 01:14 in Singapore...
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/
Enjoy the waiting  8)
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

keithfullermusic

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com | photography
« Reply #186 on: October 17, 2011, 02:14:49 PM »
i'm going to laugh ;D (and cry)  :'(  when the announcement is for a new elph that does automatic HDRs.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 vii - 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vii - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560, YN568, Bowen's 500R's
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #186 on: October 17, 2011, 02:14:49 PM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #187 on: October 17, 2011, 02:35:10 PM »
i'm going to laugh ;D (and cry)  :'(  when the announcement is for a new elph that does automatic HDRs.

I'm still holding out for a new Canon Calculator Mouse.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

waving_odd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 17, 2011, 03:24:47 PM »
If the rumor that availability won't be until March 2012 is correct, they likely wouldn't need to start the production line QC until after the announcement...

Remember this?

http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/09/september-22-announcement-confusion/

CR guy said "...As mentioned on other sites, “no leaks… no announcements.” That holds true here as well..."

craigkg

« Reply #189 on: October 17, 2011, 03:30:50 PM »

Nikon:

1DVs (or whatever it will be called) - full frame, low speed, high iso, 36mp, pro body

What I'm trying to say here, is that Nikons D3x is their counterpart of Canons 1Ds. If Nikon found a market for a 1Ds-like camera, I guess Canon won't leave this market to them. I don't think we see an amalgamation of the two 1D-cameras, but only that the 1D V is a full frame one.

Well, I think Canon has something up their sleeve. The release of the 5D Mark II really cannibalized the entire lineup and was far more popular than they ever expected which I think is necessitating a radical reshaping of the lineup which I expect will be complete by end of next year. Here is where I see things going:

Flagship Class
Pro landscape and studio camera: Canon 645D
  Yes, I think Canon goes digital medium format to regain the 1Ds' top of the line classification. You simply can't do it with more megapixels now. To get the dynamic range, signal to noise and ISO performance people are now expecting out of the top of the line, the only place to go is a larger format. The development of this body and a small set of introductory lenses is probably a partial reason we've seen a dearth of products for a while (the tsunami aside), though I suspect this camera would still have a means of accepting EOS lenses and shooting in a crop mode. Canon has had several lense patents in the last 18 months or so that have been designed with a 645 image circle, which make no sense unless you consider the fact they likely have atleast researched the format if they are not actively developing for its eventual release. I think they start it off at a $10K price point and it falls to $9,000 within 18 months and transforms medium format from being a niche market to a format even within reach of the masses.

Pro wedding, sports, photojournalism, wildlife: Canon 1Dx (the camera due tomorrow)
   This will be the 16-18MP camera at the start of the thread. The level of performance people have expected from the 1D Mark IV, but with a full frame sensor and a few extra bells and whistles such as perhaps continuous autofocus in video mode. Price point: $7500.

Semi-Pro Class
landscape and studio camera: Canon 5D Mark III
   This camera will see a modest bump in megapixels if any with the improvements coming in dynamic range and ISO performance. Will still likely be 4-5 fps range. Most people won't be happy with the improved features and increased price failing to realize how big a leap it was to the Mark II, that the Mark III cannot achieve a similar leap in expectations and. This will be the high megapixel full frame camera and the goto body for those that don't want to buy into the 645 format...which means a bump in price. Price point: $3600-4000 body only

wedding, sports, photojournalism, wildlife: Canon 3D
   And with its release...RIP 7D. This will not be full frame, but will inherit the APS-H sensor if it is not discontinued. It will have a higher MP count than the 1Dx, but will have a slower frame rate the DR and ISO performance will not be as great. but it will still be better than the 7D. It will be the body for the advanced hobbyists who love the 7D now but purists will groan that it doesn't live up to the legendary mythical 3D moniker. Price point: $2200-2500

Hobbyist/Beginner Class
advanced beginner and hobbyist: Canon 70D
   Take the 60D, add a few MP, bump the frame rate .5 fps, make the viewfinder 98% and say hello to the 60D's successor. Price point: $900-1100

beginners/switchers from P&S world: Rebel T4(i)
   modest upgrade of current T2i and T3 offerings. Price point: $600-800

J.W.

« Reply #190 on: October 17, 2011, 03:32:03 PM »
Hello everybody!

Do you guys know when we can expect the announcement based on GMT?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 03:33:55 PM by J.W. »

waving_odd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 17, 2011, 03:46:54 PM »
Hello everybody!

Thanks

You can expect the announcement based on NAT.

NAT = Nikon Announcement Time...   ;D ;D ;D ;D

htjunkie

« Reply #192 on: October 17, 2011, 03:52:34 PM »

Nikon:

Well, I think Canon has something up their sleeve. The release of the 5D Mark II really cannibalized the entire lineup and was far more popular than they ever expected which I think is necessitating a radical reshaping of the lineup which I expect will be complete by end of next year. Here is where I see things going:

Flagship Class
Pro landscape and studio camera: Canon 645D
  Yes, I think Canon goes digital medium format to regain the 1Ds' top of the line classification. You simply can't do it with more megapixels now. To get the dynamic range, signal to noise and ISO performance people are now expecting out of the top of the line, the only place to go is a larger format. The development of this body and a small set of introductory lenses is probably a partial reason we've seen a dearth of products for a while (the tsunami aside), though I suspect this camera would still have a means of accepting EOS lenses and shooting in a crop mode. Canon has had several lense patents in the last 18 months or so that have been designed with a 645 image circle, which make no sense unless you consider the fact they likely have atleast researched the format if they are not actively developing for its eventual release. I think they start it off at a $10K price point and it falls to $9,000 within 18 months and transforms medium format from being a niche market to a format even within reach of the masses.

Pro wedding, sports, photojournalism, wildlife: Canon 1Dx (the camera due tomorrow)
   This will be the 16-18MP camera at the start of the thread. The level of performance people have expected from the 1D Mark IV, but with a full frame sensor and a few extra bells and whistles such as perhaps continuous autofocus in video mode. Price point: $7500.

Semi-Pro Class
landscape and studio camera: Canon 5D Mark III
   This camera will see a modest bump in megapixels if any with the improvements coming in dynamic range and ISO performance. Will still likely be 4-5 fps range. Most people won't be happy with the improved features and increased price failing to realize how big a leap it was to the Mark II, that the Mark III cannot achieve a similar leap in expectations and. This will be the high megapixel full frame camera and the goto body for those that don't want to buy into the 645 format...which means a bump in price. Price point: $3600-4000 body only

wedding, sports, photojournalism, wildlife: Canon 3D
   And with its release...RIP 7D. This will not be full frame, but will inherit the APS-H sensor if it is not discontinued. It will have a higher MP count than the 1Dx, but will have a slower frame rate the DR and ISO performance will not be as great. but it will still be better than the 7D. It will be the body for the advanced hobbyists who love the 7D now but purists will groan that it doesn't live up to the legendary mythical 3D moniker. Price point: $2200-2500

Hobbyist/Beginner Class
advanced beginner and hobbyist: Canon 70D
   Take the 60D, add a few MP, bump the frame rate .5 fps, make the viewfinder 98% and say hello to the 60D's successor. Price point: $900-1100

beginners/switchers from P&S world: Rebel T4(i)
   modest upgrade of current T2i and T3 offerings. Price point: $600-800

Very interesting possible breakdown of their line up. However I see a major flaw in it, at least it leaves me unsatisfied: there is no affordable full frame camera. Hell, the 5D MkII sells for $2,400 right now, I don't see how no other full frame camera would take its place in the near future. Unless you're thinking that they'll continue selling the 5D MkII, but at a slightly lower price.

So, I would add a 6D to your lineup, essentially a 5D MkII with less pro-features, slower frame rate, no video, swivel screen, great DR, for about $2,000. That would appeal to lanscape enthusiasts, and people who want to take great photos of their kids - given the same lens, the resulting "perceived" bokeh will look better on a full frame body that on a crop sensor (since the full frame body will let you place your subject closer to the camera at the same aperture).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #192 on: October 17, 2011, 03:52:34 PM »

J.W.

« Reply #193 on: October 17, 2011, 03:53:33 PM »
Hello everybody!

Thanks

You can expect the announcement based on NAT.

LOL, I'd just like to know if I can wait awake in the night (here it's 10.00 pm) a little bit or sleep over it and find the "surprise-surprise!" tomorrow morning.
To get it short: what time will be in the place where it will be announced?
I'll do the math  ;)

keithfullermusic

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com | photography
« Reply #194 on: October 17, 2011, 04:00:08 PM »
i don't understand why everyone thinks canon will completely change the 5D?  It's price point and features are what makes it so popular.  If you raise the price 1-2K then its too far out of reach for most people looking to get one.  If you get rid of the video features then its not a 5D anymore.  They can call it a 5Diii, but it won't be what people have come to love about it.

Also, if they raise the price too much a lot of people are going to go out and buy 5Dii's used.  Canon won't get any of that money.  Sure, the people selling their old ones would have more money to buy newer Canon cameras, but a lot of those people would buy one anyway.

I think it's safe to say that any of us could be right, and any of us could be wrong.  I'm sure that Canon put forth the proper marketing research to find out how to best maximize their profits.  Hopefully, its not with less sales and higher margins but instead higher sales with similar margins.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 04:03:04 PM by keithfullermusic »
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 vii - 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vii - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560, YN568, Bowen's 500R's
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #194 on: October 17, 2011, 04:00:08 PM »