January 28, 2015, 02:00:01 AM

Author Topic: Review - Canon EF 50mm f/1.4  (Read 26259 times)

rowlandw

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Review - Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 - fragile!
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2014, 08:28:21 AM »
This lens has a reputation for fragility of the focus mechanism.  Mine bumped against a wall (tapped is more like it) and lost the ability to focus.  I will not buy a replacement until Canon comes out with a mark II version.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2014, 08:28:21 AM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2014, 12:13:52 AM »
This lens has a reputation for fragility of the focus mechanism.  Mine bumped against a wall (tapped is more like it) and lost the ability to focus.  I will not buy a replacement until Canon comes out with a mark II version.

It's like $100 to get it fixed. The problem is a bit of plastic inside. It's easily replaced. There are youtube videos on how to fix it if you feel comfortable opening it up. It happens so often that some camera/lens repair places have a line item for "Canon EOS EF 50/1.4 autofocus repair".

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2014, 06:47:46 AM »

The 1.4 does have a reputation of the AF getting damaged with bumps on the lens. I had a hood permanently mounted on the 50 1.4 when I had it. Never removed it and never experienced any problems.
1DX, 5D3, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L II, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 17TSE, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 1.4x III, 2x III, 600RT x 4
When it comes to gear, it is better to vote with your wallet. Bitching on online forums like a lunatic doesn't get you anywhere!

YuengLinger

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Review - Canon EF 50mm f/1.4
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2014, 07:08:23 AM »
Boooo! Reviewing a EF 50 1.4 at 2013? Really? It's like... teaching grandma how to suck eggs.

But seriously, the AF is so inconsistent that the hit rate is unbearable at wide apertures. Try to shoot at f1.8 (forget about wide open) and hit a target at normal shooting distance of 1-3m.

You get one front focus, one more or less on target, one back focus! That's just the way this lens works. The plastic gears have huge slacks which makes precise focusing impossible.

Not to mention a slight knock or squeeze will make it stop working! Both in AF and MF!

This lens is so bad, that it make me question Canon's sanity.

Anyone saying the don't see the problem of inconsistent AF on EF 50 1.4 just haven't seen anything better. Go borrow/rent/buy a good lens with ring USM, do a compare and tell the different yourself.

Strong opinions based on personal experience.  I got lucky with my first and only copy.  My AF is lightning fast and extremely accurate.  For comparison, I also own the 24-70mm 2.8 II and the 85mm 1.8, neither of which has a reputation for pokey AF.

The ef 50mm 1.4 is the the lens I most often take to the beach and carelessly leave attached to a 60D which I tend to jam into bags or tight console compartments...So it does take a beating.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:22:03 AM by YuengLinger »

Nethawk

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2014, 11:52:14 AM »
There are multiple strong opinions, as this lens is a POS physically. When it works it's great. I've had no problems with AF performance or inconsistencies and images are always great (f/1.4 has a more than the average softness, but this can be an advantage if you feel like exploiting), but it must be babied. I'm on my third round after repairs, I learned my lesson after the first but apparently not quite well enough - the last time it broke it was literally because I was pushing the lens into a foam cutout storage case.  Yes, you heard that right, the pressure of pushing  into foam broke the USM ring. My lens hood is now permanently in place and I won't use any filters on this lens, and always fully retract before putting lens cover on the front.  Maybe this time it will last a few months.

StudentOfLight

• Canon 6D
  • I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2014, 12:57:44 PM »
There are multiple strong opinions, as this lens is a POS physically. When it works it's great. I've had no problems with AF performance or inconsistencies and images are always great (f/1.4 has a more than the average softness, but this can be an advantage if you feel like exploiting), but it must be babied. I'm on my third round after repairs, I learned my lesson after the first but apparently not quite well enough - the last time it broke it was literally because I was pushing the lens into a foam cutout storage case.  Yes, you heard that right, the pressure of pushing  into foam broke the USM ring. My lens hood is now permanently in place and I won't use any filters on this lens, and always fully retract before putting lens cover on the front.  Maybe this time it will last a few months.
I really don't like it when lenses that extend when zooming or focusing, and I'm super cautious with retracting lenses of those designs. Thankfully I haven't had any problems yet.
Fantasy Gear:
TS-E: 45mm f/2.8 L-II,  EF: 40mm f/0.8,  100mm f/1.4,  35-85mm f/1.8, 
EF with 1.4xInt: 100-300mm f/4 ,  500mm f/5.6 L

talicoa

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2015, 11:18:11 PM »
This is one of my favorite lenses.  I can't seem to shake it.  My AF is wonky.  I dropped it onto a rug from about 2 ft high and the helicoid warped.  There is a very thin section of plastic.  I was able to shape it back close to the way it should.  It worked pretty well for a year or two, and then it is now snagging at points.  Manual works though, it feels a little rough. at 5.6 though this thing is sharp.  At 1.4 things aren't so great, but it does make the occasional dreamy portrait.  This lens has definitely been worth every dollar I spent on it.($300 used).  I do always keep the hood on it.   It is well worth the investment.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2015, 11:18:11 PM »