October 01, 2014, 07:25:37 AM

Author Topic: Review - Canon 85mm f/1.8  (Read 9453 times)

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Re: Canon 85mm f/1.8
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 12:38:34 PM »
Personally, I like the background to be smoothly blurred, but not wiped out entirely.  I'll offer some examples for your entertainment:

Here's a shot with the 85mm 1.8 at F/2, 1/1250, ISO 100

Let's zoom in on the hair.  Sharpness is at Lightroom's default, 25.

Here is one at F/2.2, 1/250, ISO 200, hand held in very soft light.

I agree with this point of view. In fact I sold my 135L because I find the 85/1.8 to be near as damn it good, and the 200/2.8 that I kept to be more versatile.

Clartephoto's pictures are excellent, but as usual in a great image the photographer has equalled or exceeded the lens. I've seen many head and shoulder shots with the 85/1.2 where the dof is just too thin. I've attached a picture that I took recently with the 85/1.8 @ 1.8, and in this situation where the subject is quite far away I can see that the 85/1.2 would have produced a different picture.

As for comments about reviewing an old lens, well why not ? It's a lens that many will look to buy as their first 'art' lens, and it is very good in its own right. The bad CAs wide open in high contrast are a result of the lens's design; to have a smooth brokeh.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Canon 85mm f/1.8
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 12:38:34 PM »

kevl

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Review - Canon 85mm f/1.8
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 10:26:03 AM »
clartephoto, more great shots, thanks for sharing.  It's nice to have you on CR.

The guy in the review can say that his images with the 1.2 are more magical... OK.. thanks. I wonder how one would quantify that. Could it be that when one drops $2,200 on a lens that they feel obligated to feel it is full of magic?
Have you used the 1.2?  If not, how can you say he's right or wrong?

No I have not used the 1.2. He is the one reviewing, how can he prove himself correct? What does "magical" mean? It is a meaningless statement and therefore completely unhelpful as a "review." It would make a lovely Tweet though...

The 1.2 lets in more light for sure, I'm not convinced it is sharper, and if focuses slower.

I don't mean to be rude but this is one of the least helpful reviews I've ever seen on a reputable camera website.
LOL back at you - the old "I don't mean to be rude" preceding the rude statement.  Saying that doesn't make it any less rude.

I'm sorry you were offended, perhaps it was rude of someone to call this article a review...

kevl

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 10:27:59 AM »

I was hoping your "LOL's" were because those cons were mostly jokes (sarcasm) but I see it was lost on you. No problem, you're right in your observations and I certainly *don't* think the 85 1.2 is worth the extra money (I haven't bought one) but I do compare the two because focal length is an obvious comparison tool. I did mention I compare it more in line with the 50 1.4, 40 2.8 and other "like-class" lenses.

I don't know what your copy of the 50 1.4 is but my 85 1.8 makes my 50 look like it is constantly out of focus. They have similar chromatic issues though. 

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 10:46:45 AM »

I was hoping your "LOL's" were because those cons were mostly jokes (sarcasm) but I see it was lost on you. No problem, you're right in your observations and I certainly *don't* think the 85 1.2 is worth the extra money (I haven't bought one) but I do compare the two because focal length is an obvious comparison tool. I did mention I compare it more in line with the 50 1.4, 40 2.8 and other "like-class" lenses.

I don't know what your copy of the 50 1.4 is but my 85 1.8 makes my 50 look like it is constantly out of focus. They have similar chromatic issues though.

My 50 performs great f/2.0 and onwards, where the 85 definitely was sharper opened up at 1.8. I also use a lens hood with my 50 but didn't have one for the 85 which would make a difference in some situations. The 50 is such a well used lens from so many you'll definitely find mixed feelings towards it in the forums on my "review" of it (or article, don't know how you feel about it so I'm treading lightly with my phrasing) http://www.canonrumors.com/reviews/review-canon-ef-50mm-f1-4/

I'm also sorry you don't have enough magic in your life to be unable to understand it as a quantifiable statement, while I agree it's not a technical achievement that can be measured it seemed an apt description of the "feeling" I got out of the images produced between the two lenses, like love, but I wouldn't want to compare the feeling I get for my wife to that of a lens. Hopefully some day you'll feel the same about something  :'(
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:53:24 AM by JVLphoto »

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 10:52:53 AM »
clartephoto, more great shots, thanks for sharing.  It's nice to have you on CR.

The guy in the review can say that his images with the 1.2 are more magical... OK.. thanks. I wonder how one would quantify that. Could it be that when one drops $2,200 on a lens that they feel obligated to feel it is full of magic?
Have you used the 1.2?  If not, how can you say he's right or wrong?

No I have not used the 1.2. He is the one reviewing, how can he prove himself correct? What does "magical" mean? It is a meaningless statement and therefore completely unhelpful as a "review." It would make a lovely Tweet though...

The 1.2 lets in more light for sure, I'm not convinced it is sharper, and if focuses slower.

I don't mean to be rude but this is one of the least helpful reviews I've ever seen on a reputable camera website.
LOL back at you - the old "I don't mean to be rude" preceding the rude statement.  Saying that doesn't make it any less rude.

I'm sorry you were offended, perhaps it was rude of someone to call this article a review...

Good thing you can find over 100,000 meaningless statements over on my twitter feed! https://twitter.com/justinvl

And I'm not going to debate about what is and isn't rude, that'll probably lead to how you were raised and it's best not to go there.

Also, 85's are the perfect focal length for a bit of free-lensing!

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 11:21:41 AM »
Kevl you know what? That was rude of me. I'm sorry. Let's get back to how the lens works shall we? You're clearly a fan of the 85 1.8, show us some of it's strengths and any possible weaknesses you've encountered after owning it for so long. Admittedly I've only had it off and on over the years, so never had a chance to put it through every available usage scenario.

kevl

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 06:30:37 PM »
Kevl you know what? That was rude of me. I'm sorry. Let's get back to how the lens works shall we? You're clearly a fan of the 85 1.8, show us some of it's strengths and any possible weaknesses you've encountered after owning it for so long. Admittedly I've only had it off and on over the years, so never had a chance to put it through every available usage scenario.

"for so long"?

I've only had it for less than a month. I have no doubt that it will not last as long as the 1.2 will.

The lower build quality and the chromatic aberration are the only weaknesses that I am aware of. The build quality would be an issue if it were double the price but it truly isn't at the current price point. The chromatic issues come out instantly in Lightroom so they are almost meaningless to me as well. Would I prefer them not to be present? Of course.

Is the 1.2 probably a better lens? If it was not then it would be very oddly priced...

BTW I have many loves and passions in my life, thanks for asking. 

My new 85mm 1.8 is something that I am truly beginning to love. I used it for a number of the less important images at my first wedding of 2014 last Saturday and I have to say I wish I would have used it for many of the most important ones because it performed brilliantly. The focus is quick and accurate and it is much more sharp than is needed. I used it at 2.8 because that is where my confidence level is with it right now. I have used for a couple of couple's photo sessions at 2.8 and I'm getting a 95%+ hit rate with it. I'll be using it at 1.8 next week with some couples but in my home testing I've seen no issues at all at 1.8. I just didn't want to come home with a bunch of missed shots from the wedding. :)

If there are weaknesses other than that then the review might have brought them up... it doesn't have a red ring and it doesn't have the "magic" of the 1.2. I'm sure that's true on both counts... however, the lens is brilliant! The 1.2 isn't something I would even consider now that I have the 1.8 and I was in a toss up between which to get. I needed a good 85 and now I have one.   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 06:30:37 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 06:59:34 PM »
I needed a good 85 and now I have one.

That's how I'd characterize it - a good 85.  It's also an excellent value.  I will say that I found the colors of the 85/1.8 a little flat, though.  The 85L II that I replaced it with has better color...and much slower focus.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Badger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 06:51:44 PM »
Thanks for posting the review even though it is an old lens :-)

I am actually about to pull the trigger on either this lens, or its 100mm brother for a portrait lens attached to a 6D. These portraits will mostly be my kids and family. Any thoughts on the 100mm as a portrait lens vs. the 85mm? I am leaning towards the 100mm because I shoot my daughter at basket ball also and my 70-200 f/4 just isn't letting in enough light at the gym.

BTW, I too, don't mean to be rude :-)
Canon 6D, EF 70-200 f/4 L USM, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, EF 35 f/2 IS USM, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 85 f/1.8 USM, 580EX

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 07:43:49 PM »

I am actually about to pull the trigger on either this lens, or its 100mm brother for a portrait lens attached to a 6D. These portraits will mostly be my kids and family. Any thoughts on the 100mm as a portrait lens vs. the 85mm? I am leaning towards the 100mm because I shoot my daughter at basket ball also and my 70-200 f/4 just isn't letting in enough light at the gym.

Which 100mm are you asking about? If you're talking about the Macro L it's one of my favourite portrait lenses: http://www.canonrumors.com/reviews/review-canon-ef-100-f2-8l-is-macro/. I worry that the AF on it may not be able to keep up in sporting situations. The IS will certainly help, but it's by no means a "sports" lens (switching the focus limiter away from the macro setting would help too).

I had the 100mm f/2.8 Macro (non L) and it was nice, but if I remember correctly focus was even slower and a lack of IS really hindered hand-held shots around 1/100th, especially on macro shots.

The 85 had an incredible sale on recently, though even the price now is well placed by comparison. I'd skip the 100 Macro unless you're saving up for the L, and go for the 85 1.8 instead in this case.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2014, 08:12:30 PM »
I have the Canon 100mm F2 and love it. I do not have at hand the F2.8 models for comparison, but I would say that using an aperture F2.8 Canon 100mm all three have similar sharpness. The 100mm F2 however is 1 stop brighter, and has very fast AF. There is some purple fringing when used at maximum aperture, but disappears around F2.5. If no extremely bright objects, purple fringing will not appear anyway.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 08:15:21 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

Badger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 09:46:28 AM »
Which 100mm are you asking about? If you're talking about the Macro L it's one of my favourite portrait lenses: http://www.canonrumors.com/reviews/review-canon-ef-100-f2-8l-is-macro/. I worry that the AF on it may not be able to keep up in sporting situations. The IS will certainly help, but it's by no means a "sports" lens (switching the focus limiter away from the macro setting would help too).

Thanks for the feed back. I actually initially wasn't thinking about the L, but now I really am! These are just toys for me, but it will be fun to dabble in the Macro world and still be able to use the lens as a portrait lens. Birthday is coming up :-)
Canon 6D, EF 70-200 f/4 L USM, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, EF 35 f/2 IS USM, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 85 f/1.8 USM, 580EX

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 01:53:22 PM »

Thanks for the feed back. I actually initially wasn't thinking about the L, but now I really am! These are just toys for me, but it will be fun to dabble in the Macro world and still be able to use the lens as a portrait lens. Birthday is coming up :-)

both the 85 1.8 or 100 2.0 are excellent for indoor sports.  the very small optical edge probably goes to the 100 f/2...but 100 can get a bit long for indoor basketball

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=118&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=106&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=1
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 01:53:22 PM »

kevl

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 04:38:13 PM »
Here's a very good review of both the 85s showing where each is stronger than the other. Not surprisingly the 1.2 is demonstrate-ably better in very key areas. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWCpAVslmCg

flowers

Agree with Rey
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 01:08:08 PM »
I agree with everything Rey said. I chose the 1.8 precisely because all things considered it's simply a better lens than the f/1.2! The f/1.2 is a special lens for those special times when you really want the DOF of f/1.2 at 85mm, but 85/1.8 is the obvious choice for portraits and normal photography! It's faster (AF, not aperture), better, and more reliable.

canon rumors FORUM

Agree with Rey
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 01:08:08 PM »