October 20, 2014, 07:47:57 PM

Poll

how do you transfer your images?

USB cable attached to camera
16 (24.2%)
an external reader
50 (75.8%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: how do you transfer your images?  (Read 4530 times)

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
Re: how do you transfer your images?
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2014, 12:27:27 PM »
use USB 3.0 card reader.  Cards are removed from the camera.  Backup only I verify copy and backups of copy are good.  For short trips, I will not down load until I get home.

Only longer trips may take 2 card readers just in case.  If something go awry (broken cable, lap dies) I don't  want to be dead in the water.  If I only backup via computer / cable I may not be able to backup on someone else's pc/mac if software to link to the computer does not work.

This brings up an interesting question, when traveling, how do you format external drive?  fat 32 so they are compatible on both PC and Mac or NTFS (PC format only) or MAC specific format ?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2014, 12:27:27 PM »

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2014, 01:08:29 PM »
use USB 3.0 card reader.  Cards are removed from the camera.  Backup only I verify copy and backups of copy are good.  For short trips, I will not down load until I get home.

Only longer trips may take 2 card readers just in case.  If something go awry (broken cable, lap dies) I don't  want to be dead in the water.  If I only backup via computer / cable I may not be able to backup on someone else's pc/mac if software to link to the computer does not work.

This brings up an interesting question, when traveling, how do you format external drive?  fat 32 so they are compatible on both PC and Mac or NTFS (PC format only) or MAC specific format ?

Fat32 for me.  At least then if my PC dies the drive will be OS agnostic.   But photos stay  on the card too

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2014, 06:55:31 PM »

Fat32 for me.  At least then if my PC dies the drive will be OS agnostic.   But photos stay  on the card too

I like to travel with enough cards so that I can keep them as final backup until I get home.

A 32GB card can hold roughly 1000 images for a ~20MP camera.  That is equivalent to 30 rolls of film.  A medium to high grade 32GB CF Card (Sandisk extreme, Lexar 800x) will cost around $80.  That is less than $3 per 36 exposure - remember film.  A roll would cost more than than.

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 05:02:33 PM »
I know this is old but I thought I would share something that is likely obvious;  just not to me until recently.  BTW I'm definitely in the card reader camp now -- have two 1000x Lexar cards that get rotated;   I just don't see the wear/mechanical risk in the card R&R, and the Lexar reader itself works really well over USB3. 

what I discovered, however, is that I don't like LR as the file transfer mechanism. I'm using the Canon software instead now, because it has the right definition of what a "new" image is :-). 

AcutancePhotography

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2014, 12:00:14 PM »
I used to take the card out but recently started using the USB.  While CF card pin problems are rare, with my luck I would be one of the (un) lucky ones. It is slower than yanking the card out, but I am not always in that much of a hurry. 

I guess it really is up to the photographer.  Each schema has its advantages and disadvantages.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

DominoDude

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2014, 12:38:59 PM »
I think I've only used the reader in the PC once. All other times I just hook my camera up to the USB cable when I get home and have EOS Utility pop up for me to do a quick selection of all new images and then I have them transferred over while I go and pour me some coffee.
This method works quite well for me: I always get the images properly numbered and put in the folders I want them in.
The only downside would be that, lately, I've only been able to transfer images from the camera once per boot time. If I try to do more attempts, I'll see all the thumbnails in EOS Utility, I then select and start the downloading but nothing gets transferred and the program crashes, stating that connection to the device is lost. I would imagine that some update (MS or Canon) has f*cked up the proper handling of the USB port. No problems at all after a fresh reboot, so all I need to do is reboot, or turn off my PC more often... :)

Could also be due to a much needed firmware update for my HP computer, but I'm reluctant to do any such FW updates on my private PC - if it were servers at work I wouldn't mind.
To have an opinion is easy. To have a reputation is much harder; at least if you want a good one.

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2014, 02:19:40 PM »
EOS utility is the best, imho.  LR fails because it's definition of "new" is "whatever is not in the catalog", which means it won't respect that you have already rejected a photo that might still be on the card.    I know the LR experts all defend LR download capabilities but it just doesn't work for me.

If you are careful enough to keep the USB connection safe, while working around the USB cord, the camera, and the computer, then you can certainly be to be trusted with R&R'ing a CF card.  The CF card mechanics are so robust I'd suggest the risk of damaging a USB pin on the camera is 100x that of damaging a CF card slot on the camera. 

But,  to be sure you are right about preferences and whatever works.  I used the USB cord method for 7 ish years and  75,000 ish photos on my 40D, and I didn't damage a single cord or  connector on the camera.  either one works. 

Another reason I switched to the card reader method is that the 5D3 doubled my data xfer needs, and the "in camera USB" method is pretty s...l...o...w  especially for large cards that can hold over 1000 photos.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2014, 02:19:40 PM »

StephenC

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2014, 05:41:53 AM »
WiFi of JPEG's from the EyeFi SD card to ShutterSnitch on the iPad.  I can then delete the (vast majority) poor quality ones whilst on the go.  I was then transferring the remaining JPEGs to Aperture via Transmit FTP - but found it unreliable, so now use ShutterSnitch Backup.  Further culling of crap images on the computer then plug in the CF card and transfer just the 'Matching RAW' images.  As I am an amateur I then wipe both cards, edit my photos THEN back them up.
Canon EOS 5D mkIII
Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L II USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f4L IS USM, Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM
Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT + ST-E3-RT, Canon GP-E2, Eye-Fi Card

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2014, 05:41:53 AM »