April 21, 2014, 11:21:36 AM

Poll

how do you transfer your images?

USB cable attached to camera
15 (24.6%)
an external reader
46 (75.4%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: how do you transfer your images?  (Read 3069 times)

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
Re: how do you transfer your images?
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2014, 12:27:27 PM »
use USB 3.0 card reader.  Cards are removed from the camera.  Backup only I verify copy and backups of copy are good.  For short trips, I will not down load until I get home.

Only longer trips may take 2 card readers just in case.  If something go awry (broken cable, lap dies) I don't  want to be dead in the water.  If I only backup via computer / cable I may not be able to backup on someone else's pc/mac if software to link to the computer does not work.

This brings up an interesting question, when traveling, how do you format external drive?  fat 32 so they are compatible on both PC and Mac or NTFS (PC format only) or MAC specific format ?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2014, 12:27:27 PM »

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2014, 01:08:29 PM »
use USB 3.0 card reader.  Cards are removed from the camera.  Backup only I verify copy and backups of copy are good.  For short trips, I will not down load until I get home.

Only longer trips may take 2 card readers just in case.  If something go awry (broken cable, lap dies) I don't  want to be dead in the water.  If I only backup via computer / cable I may not be able to backup on someone else's pc/mac if software to link to the computer does not work.

This brings up an interesting question, when traveling, how do you format external drive?  fat 32 so they are compatible on both PC and Mac or NTFS (PC format only) or MAC specific format ?

Fat32 for me.  At least then if my PC dies the drive will be OS agnostic.   But photos stay  on the card too

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2014, 06:55:31 PM »

Fat32 for me.  At least then if my PC dies the drive will be OS agnostic.   But photos stay  on the card too

I like to travel with enough cards so that I can keep them as final backup until I get home.

A 32GB card can hold roughly 1000 images for a ~20MP camera.  That is equivalent to 30 rolls of film.  A medium to high grade 32GB CF Card (Sandisk extreme, Lexar 800x) will cost around $80.  That is less than $3 per 36 exposure - remember film.  A roll would cost more than than.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2014, 06:55:31 PM »