November 25, 2014, 08:42:02 PM

Author Topic: Quality of Zeiss Lenses  (Read 760 times)

inge bruland

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Quality of Zeiss Lenses
« on: December 31, 2013, 03:18:08 PM »
I regularly read lens tests in German Photomagazines. They are supposed to be the worlds best. My question is: How can Canon rumors forum tell me that Zeiss 50 mm Makro is a extremely good lens when ColorFoto tell me that the contrast in the corners are so low that the lensquality is below average and do not even get the "Digital Empfohlen" not recommended for digital photograpy. And in addition no autofocus and very expensive???? Only a zeiss 135 mm lens get the very best remarks.

Inge Bruland
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 03:33:33 PM by inge bruland »

canon rumors FORUM

Quality of Zeiss Lenses
« on: December 31, 2013, 03:18:08 PM »

ksagomonyants

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Quality of Zeiss Lenses
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 07:02:27 PM »
Hi Inge! The Zeiss 50 f2 Makro is "highly recommended" by another German company, photozone.de. Lloyd Chambers calls this lens "exceptional". In addition, Zeiss 50 f2 Makro received 2 awards from ColorFoto magazine in 2010 and 2011. Although I haven't owned this lens, based on these reviews I'm sure it's an excellent performer. I guess many CR members will be glad to share their experience with this lens.

Happy New Year!  :)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 09:30:41 PM »
The shortest answer to your thread title is:  "Excellent"

A longer answer might say that the magazine must be full of ... (ooops self censoring has just taken place).

I personally have experience from a single Zeiss lens: The 21mm f/2.8 Distagon and I can say it is excellent (center to corners).

So since the magazine declared as all but the 135 as not worth the best remarks I assume they include the 21mm too.

So sorry to say the magazine is ... rubbish (no need for censoring now  ;D )

johnhenry

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 12:47:31 PM »
Having been a lifetime user of Zeiss optics from my Zeiss Ikon, my Contax/Hasselblad SLR days and now using some of those lens with adapters on Canon, I can say they do make some average lens that are based on really old designs like the Sonnar or Planar for their short and middle focal lengths.

Now having said that, one can say that Zeiss has a common problem it shares with many old companies and that they rest on their laurels. They do have some exceptional lens designs, like the Distagons, like my 28mm f/2 and 35mm PC lens. Both have light falloff into the FF corners but there is little to get around this optical phenomenon, and with Photoshop, no real need to either.

Zeiss' Makro-Planars are well regarded by those who have used them, and a 50mm or 100mm version would be on my "to buy" list, if I wasn't already using my old 120mm f/4 from my Hasselblad.

To use a macro lens, you need to be careful to do all you can to reduce shake: Tripod, mirror lock-up and a remote (or self-timer) releases need to be in use.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 12:47:31 PM »