October 23, 2014, 04:40:45 AM

Author Topic: Tamron SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review  (Read 21100 times)

hksfrank

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Tamron SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC Review
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 02:37:38 PM »
The link is working now - nice review of the lens.  It looks like the performance is good but not great from this review, but I'm sure it's going to be finding a lot of spots in amateur & birder's bags given the price and size. 

I'll wait for the DxO / PhotoZone / LensTip, etc. results before passing any further judgement.

my review really lack of lab test =[
and i was too bad in wildlife photography (really , this was like 3rd time to do it ....)

i found some really nice bird shot from japan but cannot using it without permission (still not reply me yet)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 02:37:38 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 02:44:55 PM »
I was a little bit concerned with the quality of the 600mm images.  I know that things are reduced and sometimes images are distorted by reduction and jpeg, but I feel that my 100-400L with a 1.4X TC looks as good or better on my 5D MK III with a 100% crop.
The comment about AF stopping at times was a bit concerning as well.
Like others, I'd like to have a low cost 600mm lens, and I know there will be compromises, I want to better understand what they are.

Frank - Did you try a TC on the lens with the 5D MK III?

I think the question is, is this "good enough" for those who want to have a super-telephoto available because there are times when even cropping won't do. That's sorta where I fit in. Most of the time I won't use a super-telephoto, but on the other hand, I'm finding I want something (200-400ish, maybe a bit longer) around to use it. Sure, there's renting, but after I rent a handful of times it's almost as if I should have just bought it. If this lens can deliver reasonably good images/video for $1100 in this range...it might just be worth it. The 100-400 w/1.4x will be a lot closer to $2k. And even if they release a new 100-400 with much upgraded optics that make the 100-400 w/1.4x or 2x TC much better IQ than this Tamron...the lens itself I'm sure will be quite a bit over $2k.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 03:08:14 PM »
600mmish: Tammy $1,000ish Vs Canon $12,000ish ::) ::) ::)

Personally, I can't wait for this lens..... should I get one of these http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/iphone-slr-mount/ so I can use it with my iPod?

#1 lesson I learn in life : "you get for what you pay for"
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Marauder

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2014, 05:55:18 PM »
I must confess, I've been very interested in this lens and anxious to read a review.  Needless to say, I never expected it to even come close to the Canon 500 or 600 F4 IS's (of either the I or II generation), nor do I think did anyone else, even if the price came in at 2-3 times the now announced price.  What I DID hope for though, is something that might at least match (or maybe even exceed) the resolving power of the 15 year old 100-400L and also provide a reliable auto-focus. Once the price was announced, that expectation was certainly made much more dubious, but I was still hoping they might pull it off, however unlikely that seemed.  My two biggest fears would be that it would have lower IQ than the 100-400 IS and, even more so, that it would suffer from the perennial third-party lens sin of unreliable auto-focus.  Much remains to be seen of course, as this is only the first review, but the troubling AF issues encountered by the reviewer certainly seem to indicate the AF may struggle and freeze, particularly at the long end.  To me that is an even bigger deal breaker than IQ being less sharp than the 100-400L.  Birds in general, and BIF in particular, don't give you many "second chances" to get the shot--AF just has to work.  Lately Sigma, with its Sport and Art series of lenses are managing to change the expectations of users when it comes to both IQ and AF, and I was hoping that Tamron, with this lens might aspire to similar, lofty ambitions. Granted, this is only a first review and there hasn't been any side-by-side "apples to apples" comparison between it and a 100-400L, or 400 5.6L regarding IQ, and the AF issues might yet prove to be something wrong with this particular example, but the AF issues in particular are troubling, especially given the 5D III's stellar AF system.  For those of us with cameras with lesser AF systems (even good ones like the 7D), it's bad news--if the lens can't focus well on a 5D III (or 1DX, 1D IV for that matter) then those of us with a 7D or 70D are going to have even greater issues--and then there's the AF systems on the Rebels!!!!! 
Like everyone, I'll be interested to see Justin's review and even more interested to see Lens Rentals and Bryan's (The Digital Picture) reviews.  However, it's starting to sound like this lens is aimed more at the level of the older Sigma and Tamron lenses, rather than the "affordable" L series or the Sigma Sport line. They may have "out bigma'd" the Bigma---but I was really hoping they'd set their sights higher.    :-\
Canon 7D, Canon T3i, Canon 100-400L, Canon 200 f2.8L & Various other lenses

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2014, 06:06:57 PM »

Exactly... An updated 100—400 +1.4x is sounding a lot better to be.   Sure it will be 2x maybe 3x the price..

Marauder

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2014, 06:19:59 PM »

Exactly... An updated 100—400 +1.4x is sounding a lot better to be.   Sure it will be 2x maybe 3x the price..

Indeed, I'm looking fwd to the new 100-400 II, but given it's also rumoured to be 5.6 max at 400mm, you'd lose AF on all cameras except the 5D III and 1D series cameras with a 1.4 TC.  Of course, if the new 7D II has F8 AF like the 5D III and 1D series....   ;D

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2014, 08:07:19 PM »
Neuro, I'm pretty sure the lens was released in December in Asia, so this should be a retail lens, but until we can read the review we won't know for sure.

On loan from Tamron HK.

yep , they told me this was not cherry picked and just take out from those stock (not sure but i knew everything there will be golden sample and they knew how to cherry pick the good stuff) at least my copy on hand was looking like that

Yeah, not sure if I'd believe that, either.  Certainly, it's in their best interests to make sure a reviewer gets loaned an excellent copy. Either way, the AF issues mentioned aren't encouraging. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2014, 08:07:19 PM »

lescrane

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2014, 08:29:05 PM »
first, thanks Frank for making this available and answering our questions.

I think Frank shot these birds hand-held. If this is true, we cannot really benchmark the sharpness of the lens at all. The review is still valuable as a "hands on" assessment of how the lens will hadle in real life, but as far as sharpness, the user, and the conditions introduces a lot of variation.  I personally will shoot with a monopod, rarely hand held. If I hold the assembly close to my body and breathe correctly, can usually go one stop slower than hand held.

I've been scouring the Chinese and Japanese websites and seen many bird shots, and they have overall been ok.  As Frank and others said, it will help to have the "lab" tests to see how this Tamron compares to 100-400 Canon L, etc on the bench.

The autofocus speed is a big factor, esp. if you shoot BIF's, or other fast moving objects.  If you tend to take fewer action pictures, you can live with slower autofocus.

candc

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2014, 08:48:28 PM »
this lens seems pretty good for what its supposed to do, that is give you a big long zoom range in a relatively light and compact package that works in good light. that's not what i want, i  want a really good 600 f/4 that doesn't cost $12000. i guess sigma is working on one (cr1). it seems that everybody that is interested in this lens wants 600mm so just make a prime!

hksfrank

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2014, 08:51:08 PM »
first, thanks Frank for making this available and answering our questions.

I think Frank shot these birds hand-held. If this is true, we cannot really benchmark the sharpness of the lens at all. The review is still valuable as a "hands on" assessment of how the lens will hadle in real life, but as far as sharpness, the user, and the conditions introduces a lot of variation.  I personally will shoot with a monopod, rarely hand held. If I hold the assembly close to my body and breathe correctly, can usually go one stop slower than hand held.

I've been scouring the Chinese and Japanese websites and seen many bird shots, and they have overall been ok.  As Frank and others said, it will help to have the "lab" tests to see how this Tamron compares to 100-400 Canon L, etc on the bench.

The autofocus speed is a big factor, esp. if you shoot BIF's, or other fast moving objects.  If you tend to take fewer action pictures, you can live with slower autofocus.

the sample 1 i was body going out through a branch and turn over like 90 degree and poin upwards to 2/F .__.
most picture are cropped , if i could get close enough it should be better result . but lens need to return within 1-2 hour later . later should be good sample out by some bigger media which have enough resources and pro photography people to do the test =]

i am still waiting canon tele lens L new version but i dont think the price tag will at 10xx . One reason i said Tamron 150 600 was not really really damn good as "miracle" - i said this once i knew the price tag. if the lens is unique and very good , tamron will mark it at a higher price on sale , just like 24 70 VC which super and only lens come with VC at standard range F2.8  .  if canon new lens are good , then it will at least selling at 2K , people may stay with canon if able to afford and got better optics (also canon have in body correction may help sometimes) . seems impossible to see canon sell a new L at 1k tag (most new lenses are superb and price also super , that 24 70 2.8 II omg)

from reliable source there will be new super zoom for full frame too , to update the old 28 300 super zoom and also one for aps format.

hksfrank

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2014, 09:00:33 PM »
this lens seems pretty good for what its supposed to do, that is give you a big long zoom range in a relatively light and compact package that works in good light. that's not what i want, i  want a really good 600 f/4 that doesn't cost $12000. i guess sigma is working on one (cr1). it seems that everybody that is interested in this lens wants 600mm so just make a prime!

in over 90% of time i am using it at 600mm , only zoom out while i travel and looking for target
 (too complicated location, cannot find birds keeping at 600mm - wildlife newbie common issue)
tamron does not have prime now ... (only those macro lens)
then the tele prime will not exceed   8)  (seems true... not sure why they not making prime lens)

sigma will have sport series new lens and as sigma really working hard on new lens series , it should be great but of coz the price will get closer to canon (maybe like 50% to 70 % price tag ?)
i love my 35.4 A and the 120-300 sport are impressive too (just playing it a few times while a good person let me try it , that lens have 2.8 fast aperture although the size and price much bigger than this tamron , working well for me in job which i use 70 200 2.8 II + 1.4/2x TC there . their target are different , like a value tele lens and a premium tele lens hoho~.

Marauder

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2014, 09:25:10 PM »

in over 90% of time i am using it at 600mm , only zoom out while i travel and looking for target
 (too complicated location, cannot find birds keeping at 600mm - wildlife newbie common issue)
tamron does not have prime now ... (only those macro lens)
then the tele prime will not exceed   8)  (seems true... not sure why they not making prime lens)

sigma will have sport series new lens and as sigma really working hard on new lens series , it should be great but of coz the price will get closer to canon (maybe like 50% to 70 % price tag ?)
i love my 35.4 A and the 120-300 sport are impressive too (just playing it a few times while a good person let me try it , that lens have 2.8 fast aperture although the size and price much bigger than this tamron , working well for me in job which i use 70 200 2.8 II + 1.4/2x TC there . their target are different , like a value tele lens and a premium tele lens hoho~.

I concur Frank.  I think there is a real market for an "affordable" long lens, that is substantially less expensive than the Canon primes, but still has decent performance/quality.  I don't expect it to match the big Canon primes optically, but it could still be significantly better than the current offerings.  And some good quality zooms too.  The Sigma 120-300 F2.8 Sport shows that it's possible to create a good lens which, while not "cheap,"  still offers a massive savings over anything else in the Canon/Nikon catalogue and is optically impressive, with good AF capabilities.  The only thing that keeps me from getting the 120-300 is that 300 can be a bit short for birding, albeit using it on a crop mitigates that somewhat.  Still, a nice 400 F4, 500 F5.6 and 600 5.6 for less than 5k (say 4) would be very nice for those of us who are on a budget!  Not a pro--just an enthusiastic amateur.  Mind you, I keep drifting to the thought of saving up for a second hand Canon 500mm F4 IS series I, which seem to be around 5-6 grand.   Still a lot of cash, but possibly at least "doable!"  ::)

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2014, 09:27:25 PM »
sorry bros , i am frank wong from it.wyswig.com

my ISP though it was kind of DDOS and they blocked the 80 port 

now i am dealing with them , hole get back soon. lucky that canonwatch they hosted the picture

=[ sorry guys , my dumb isp was too "smart"

Thousand Thanksssss, Dear Frank, For your Great Review/Report, And Great sample photos of this Great Tamron Lens---I Say Great, Because Of Tamron company do a great job = The Quality Lens Per US Dollars cost,  Dollars Per Dollars, No one can match Tamron Company, Yes, I Have TAMRON SP AF 11-18 MM F/4.5-5.6 DI II LD IF( for more than 10 years) and TAMRON AF 28-300 MM. F/3.5-6.3 LD IF MACRO( for more than 15 years) still love their Quality of Tamron Lenses. Yes, I have  18 Canon Lenses , That Include 9 " L " Lenses ( 600 mm Too), And I still  in love with Tamron Lenses.
Happy Holiday, my new friend.
Surapon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2014, 09:27:25 PM »

rbr

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2014, 12:14:11 AM »
i  want a really good 600 f/4 that doesn't cost $12000. i guess sigma is working on one (cr1). it seems that everybody that is interested in this lens wants 600mm so just make a prime!

There has never been a better time to buy a big lens for less money if you're willing to buy a used one. The old Canon 600f4 is still a fantastic lens, and the 800 is also readily available used for a lot less than a new one. Those lenses didn't turn into pumpkins at midnight the day the newest lenses started shipping. People are still taking and selling great shots with them and will continue to do so for many years to come.

HankMD

• Canon AE-1
  • SLR newbie since July, 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2014, 12:44:00 AM »
I think the question is, is this "good enough" for those who want to have a super-telephoto available because there are times when even cropping won't do. That's sorta where I fit in. Most of the time I won't use a super-telephoto, but on the other hand, I'm finding I want something (200-400ish, maybe a bit longer) around to use it. Sure, there's renting, but after I rent a handful of times it's almost as if I should have just bought it. If this lens can deliver reasonably good images/video for $1100 in this range...it might just be worth it. The 100-400 w/1.4x will be a lot closer to $2k. And even if they release a new 100-400 with much upgraded optics that make the 100-400 w/1.4x or 2x TC much better IQ than this Tamron...the lens itself I'm sure will be quite a bit over $2k.

There is a cheapo solution for those like me who cannot (yet) commit to a 600mm -- it's called SX50 (or the upcoming SX60.) It's no good for BIF or low light/low contrast but neither is this Tamron.

Some samples (not mine), I think using a tripod:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomson_tsao/with/11685619154/
6D | 7D | 10-22 | 40 | 18-135 IS | 70-200 IS II | Tamron 150-600

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2014, 12:44:00 AM »