October 23, 2014, 09:26:37 AM

Author Topic: Headed to Hawaii -- let's talk gear / locations  (Read 4787 times)

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Headed to Hawaii -- let's talk gear / locations
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 07:31:58 PM »
I don't know too much about Oahu having only spent a little time there, but you would find some great scenes at the North Shore and all along the drive on the East side of the island.  Sunsets are always nice on Oahu.

When driving with the air con on in the car I left my pack and gear in the trunk so as not to introduce moisture coming/going in/out of the car. 

If you make it here to the Big Island.....tons of options!

Yeah, it seems like the Big Island is the scenery smorgasbord of legend.  I really want to shoot lava flows near the water, but that means packing up our stuff and joining all the tourists.  My gf would rather avoid crowds and fall off the grid, so we may just stick to the less-traveled parts of Oahu and take what's there.

Good advice on leaving the gear at temperature.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 07:31:58 PM »

bobby samat

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Bobby Samat Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 07:52:28 PM »
not sure if it was mentioned, but there is Hawaii Lens Rental in honolulu.  i rented the 17mm-tse a few years ago from them and had a great time with it.

youre going to find awesome stuff to take pictures of no matter which direction you go.  just get out of honolulu if you can.  as cities go, it's not bad - but it's just another city.  the rainforest in the center of the island is really pretty and has clouds when the rest of the island doesn't.
5D3, TS-E 17mm f/4L, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 02:58:18 AM »
FF + 24-70 w/ CP filter + 35 or 50 prime for night time.

Back in 2007, my wife and I went there for honeymoon. At that time, I thought $99 Canon P&S was good enough :-\

Here are my pictures from $99 Canon P&S

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 03:15:09 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Kayo

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
I live on Oahu and there are some nice places to shoot. On the South shore there are places like Black Point, Diamond Head (both the beach area and the hike up to the crater), Tantalus Drive (for night time city shots),
Pali Lookout, Lyon Arboretum and such. On the East side there is Makapuu Point like Dylan's pic (nice morning hike), Bamboo Ridge (area near the Blow Hole), Sandy Beach, Kaneohe Bay, Koko Head and Crouching Lions Inn have nice hikes. North shore for surfing and a nice hike to Kaena point. Id probably stay away from the West side as its pretty heavy for rental car break ins.

You're setup is plenty fine. A fast prime might be nice if you wanna do some street shots in Waikiki and I usually use a .9 grad for sunrise/sunset.

Enjoy your trip and message me if you want any more spots to shoot.

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 11:12:11 PM »
I live on Oahu and there are some nice places to shoot. On the South shore there are places like Black Point, Diamond Head (both the beach area and the hike up to the crater), Tantalus Drive (for night time city shots),
Pali Lookout, Lyon Arboretum and such. On the East side there is Makapuu Point like Dylan's pic (nice morning hike), Bamboo Ridge (area near the Blow Hole), Sandy Beach, Kaneohe Bay, Koko Head and Crouching Lions Inn have nice hikes. North shore for surfing and a nice hike to Kaena point. Id probably stay away from the West side as its pretty heavy for rental car break ins.

You're setup is plenty fine. A fast prime might be nice if you wanna do some street shots in Waikiki and I usually use a .9 grad for sunrise/sunset.

Great spots Kayo :)

1st photo: from our hotel room, look down Waikiki in the morning. I wish I had FF + 24-70 on that trip :'(
2nd photo: Snorkeling in Oahu. Couldn't recall the name of that place at this moment????
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:32:35 PM by Dylan777 »

wfmiller

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 01:24:18 PM »

1st photo: from our hotel room, look down Waikiki in the morning. I wish I had FF + 24-70 on that trip :'(
2nd photo: Snorkeling in Oahu. Couldn't recall the name of that place at this moment????

The 2nd shot looks like maybe Hanauma bay!!   
Of all the lenses that I took to Hawaii my most used was my 16-35 f2.8L and with my 5D3.
Have fun!!

5DIII, 7D, 40D, 60mm f/2.8 Macro, 17-55mm f/2.8, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 85mm f/1.8, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 24-105mm f/4L, 70-300mm F/4-5.6L, 580EX, 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 01:57:26 PM »
Of all the lenses that I took to Hawaii my most used was my 16-35 f2.8L and with my 5D3.
Have fun!!

Of all my requirements:

• Accepts my Lee front filter setup without buying a new frame (i.e. eliminates built-in hood lenses)
  • Wider than 24mm
  • Great IQ

...the LensRentals gang recommended the Zeiss 21mm.  They claimed it was spectacular.

Just cursorily, compare and contrast...

Zeiss:  http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=zeiss%2021mm%205D%20landscape

Canon 16-35 (Didn't flag it as I or II):  http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=%2216-35%20II%22+5D+landscape

The Canon will let me take the shot where it's best to place the camera, and it will be weather sealed (if you put much stock into that, it's quite informal what that claim truly means)

But the Zeiss might add a little something special to the shots.  I shoot manual focus / LV for landscapes, so MF is not an issue in this application on this trip.

Whaddya think?

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 01:57:26 PM »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 02:13:37 PM »
I visited Kauai last summer, and these were what I missed (mind you, I was using my ISO-poor 7D at the time):
1. One fast telephoto for the evening Luaus
2. One macro for the beautiful flora at the botanical gardens and also elsewhere
3. One long telephoto for surf shots
4. A reverse ND grad for sunsets
Based on your gear set, I would recommend a 100mm macro that will satisfy 1 and 2, and a 1.4/2x III for 3.
A fast prime is always great for those fun evenings. But with the 5DIIIs sensor, a f/4 IS zoom might suffice.

Oh, and make sure you have something for taking nice portraits of your gf. That brought me great favors with my wife, and may just pave the way for your new 50mm :)
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 02:28:37 PM »
I visited Kauai last summer, and these were what I missed (mind you, I was using my ISO-poor 7D at the time):
1. One fast telephoto for the evening Luaus
2. One macro for the beautiful flora at the botanical gardens and also elsewhere
3. One long telephoto for surf shots
4. A reverse ND grad for sunsets
Based on your gear set, I would recommend a 100mm macro that will satisfy 1 and 2, and a 1.4/2x III for 3.
A fast prime is always great for those fun evenings. But with the 5DIIIs sensor, a f/4 IS zoom might suffice.

Oh, and make sure you have something for taking nice portraits of your gf. That brought me great favors with my wife, and may just pave the way for your new 50mm :)

Great advice.

I have the 100L macro, but I usually leave it at home on travel since my 24-70 F/4L IS has the 0.7x mag macro mode (despite how close I have to get, the macro need is only maybe 3% of my shooting need on vaca).  And the longer TF need is covered with the 70-200 and the 2x T/C.

- A

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 03:56:12 PM »
I have the 100L macro, but I usually leave it at home on travel since my 24-70 F/4L IS has the 0.7x mag macro mode...

Ah, true that. I forgot. And flowers aren't shy of cameras...
I didn't notice the 2x in your original list.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
  • Amateur photon abductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 01:58:07 PM »
Hi,

I have been to Oahu for a week business trip and followed with a week on Big Island in April 2012. Although I had only little time on my own on Oahu, I found a few nice places for landscape that were not too far off the beaten paths (I was travelling with my girlfriend and then 3 months old son).

The obvious start near Honolulu/Waikiki is the Diamondback. i did not do the hike but it was reported to be softcore and sure provides nice views over the city. Otherwise, I was not really impressed by the area around the city.

Out of Honolulu, I've really liked the surroundings of the Byodo-In temple. It is a Buddhist temple surrounded by some nice landscapes, Although a bit touristy. I expect that there could be some nice hikes around there but can't suggest one in particular. The temple itself is worth a stop.

North Shore also is quite nice as beach and surf goes.

The Ko'Olau mountains also appeared as a nice place to look for a hike.

My final suggestion would be to look for hikes around the Nu'uanu Pali lookout. I just stop there for a short time and was impressed by the scenery. There must be nice hikes around there too.

In terms of equipment, I was happy to have an UWA on my crop (Sigma 8-16mm) but there are of course many possibilities to go without one (including panos, but they don't provide the same increased perspective that sometimes makes an image dramatic.) Surfers will require more than 200mm so pack the extender as some others have suggested.

Have a nice trip.

What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 02:13:20 PM »

Thanks for all the great tips, gang.  My current loadout is...

Definitely Going to Bring List
Kiboko 22L (carry-on, will hold everything, fits under seat)
Smaller day-bag for hikes/walkaround

5D3
Wide scenery lens rental -- Zeiss 21 or Canon 16-35
24-70 F/4 IS + hood

Tripod / Ball head / mounting plate / shutter release
Lens filters -- UV and CPL
Lee filter kit + ND grads + Big Stopper

BlackRapid strap
'Photo trip stuff' -- air blower, cleaning kit, filter wrenches, etc.
Batteries / charger / backup cards / yadda yadda

Flashlight (for pre-dawn shooting)
Something for drying/cleaning gear from saltwater splashes (tap water bottle and a facecloth)

The Maybe List
One small prime (28, 40 or 50)
70-200 F/2.8 IS II + hood + tripod collar
2X III Teleconverter
Waterproof camera for snorkeling
Trash bags or a storm cover

The Not Bringing List
100L Macro (again, the 24-70 has that excellent 0.7x macro option)
600 EX-RT Flash (I generally am a natural light shooter unless it's an indoor event)

I've downgraded the stellar 70-200 and the 2x to the maybe list.  I know I'll get great shots with it, but it's heavy, takes up a lot of bag space and is quite conspicuous.  Principally, though, the majority of the heavy photography downtime without my gf will be on a scenery photo tour where wide shots will be the focus -- the guide even recommended the Nikon 14-24 or Canon 16-35 for where he's taking us.

But my mind is not made up.  I appreciate everyone's guidance on this, and I am always game for cool locations to check out!

- A

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 05:45:13 PM »

Have fun!!

Yes, indeed. Thanks
Here is another shot with my $99 P&S

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 05:45:13 PM »

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 05:58:07 PM »

That reminds me!  What underwater camera would you recommend?  I will not buy a new one as I never shoot underwater but Hanauma Bay snorkeling is on the list and might make for some memorable snaps.  So this is a one-day shooting opportunity only.

I was likely going to get some disposable film underwater camera, as I won't rent that Nikon AW rig or risk my 5D3 on some rubber housing.  And I'm not interested in a $100-200 P&S.  I need a one-time solution that takes decent pics underwater.

Any recommendations?

- A

wfmiller

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 06:21:09 PM »

That reminds me!  What underwater camera would you recommend?  I will not buy a new one as I never shoot underwater but Hanauma Bay snorkeling is on the list and might make for some memorable snaps.  So this is a one-day shooting opportunity only.

I was likely going to get some disposable film underwater camera, as I won't rent that Nikon AW rig or risk my 5D3 on some rubber housing.  And I'm not interested in a $100-200 P&S.  I need a one-time solution that takes decent pics underwater.

Any recommendations?

- A

definitely a disposable UW camera with flash, I used my gopro rig for movies and stills. I have a big UW rig with strobes but did not bring them this trip as I wanted to use the gopro. BTW it was years since I had been back to Hanauma Bay and was very disappointed in the reef system and the lack of sea life from the "old" days. I was told that was because they no longer allow feeding the fish, oh well!!  There were way better places for me to snorkel and dive anyways!!  ;)
5DIII, 7D, 40D, 60mm f/2.8 Macro, 17-55mm f/2.8, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 85mm f/1.8, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 24-105mm f/4L, 70-300mm F/4-5.6L, 580EX, 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 06:21:09 PM »