September 01, 2014, 10:20:42 PM

Author Topic: Paid gig offer: $1,100 CASH, Youth Soccer leagues  (Read 5372 times)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
Paid gig offer: $1,100 CASH, Youth Soccer leagues
« on: January 03, 2014, 03:31:10 PM »
Last Nov I posted this: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,18158.0.html

Today, I received an email from the same Coach offered me $1,100 CASH to shoot 3 games of Youth Soccer Leagues.

I spoke with him on the phone and he clearly wanted:

1. Me to be at the field for no more than 3hrs to cover each game -Total of 9hrs for 3 games.
2. He is fine with JPEG files, since he only wants action shots - boys running, kicking ball etcs...
3. He wants all photos to transfer to his PC right-after-each game and all photos must be delete from camera(s).

I told him, I'm not interested. But willing to deliver a message to CR.

Shoot me an email if you interested @ vdka777@yahoo.com   Edit: The gig has been taken by one of our CR member.

MUST BE IN California, zip code 92708
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:37:16 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

Paid gig offer: $1,100 CASH, Youth Soccer leagues
« on: January 03, 2014, 03:31:10 PM »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
Re: Paid gig offer: $1,100 CASH, Youth Soccer leagues
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 03:46:04 PM »
3. He wants all photos to transfer to his PC right-after-each game and all photos must be delete from camera(s).
That's an odd request - is that why you turned it down?  Or was it the 9 hours of work at a much smaller rate or something else? 

Congrats on getting another request for your work, sorry it's not going to work out this time.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 04:00:49 PM »
I love shooting soccer, but I am on the wrong side of the globe for this one :)
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 04:11:22 PM »
That's an odd request - is that why you turned it down?  Or was it the 9 hours of work at a much smaller rate or something else? 

Congrats on getting another request for your work, sorry it's not going to work out this time.

I would take the offer if i get to keep the photos. Or even do it free.

$1100 is 10% of my next lens...600mm. But I'm not that desperate for cash ;)

purry

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 04:19:18 PM »

Probably doesn't want you to keep photos of children

slclick

• 7D
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 04:46:34 PM »
Introduce him to the merits of a professional photographers contract and give a few references, maybe he'll see it differently.
5d3+ Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35, Canon 40, Canon 70-200L 2.8 ll, Canon 100L Macro, Kenko 1.4 Extender

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 05:17:26 PM »
Introduce him to the merits of a professional photographers contract and give a few references, maybe he'll see it differently.

Nonsense, capture fees are a very common way for professional photographers to work. All the second shooters I have ever used have been capture fee only employed, I have been capture fee employed on many occasions. You can choose to not do it, that is fine, but many pros do work like that.

Think of it like this, I get a job, I employ a second shooter, I am in charge of everything, lighting, posing etc etc, why should the second shooter have any rights over those images? It is not an example of their work, it is an illustration of mine.

Or another, many many pros have "assistants" often shooting with remote cameras, they do not (very rarely) get the image credit, it is the primary photographer.

Or another, an event organizer, they have the rights to the event, they can employ stills and video teams that have no rights to the images they capture, it is a very common scenario.

Or another, many agency employed photographers contract image making, that is they tell a photographer to go and take a specific image. The agency has all rights to those images and the photographer has none, they were contracted on a no rights basis.

See all the Getty Image/AFP credits on images? Many of those are owned by the agency not just managed by it, often you will see ©Fred Blogs/Getty Images, these normally have shared copyright but are licensed through the agency.

People talk a lot of rubbish about copyrights, a contract can, and often does, override any rights you have as the capturing agent to use those images, and that is not, necessarily, a bad thing.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 05:17:26 PM »

slclick

• 7D
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 05:52:02 PM »
I am well aware of capture contracts however the OP alluded to not wanting to do it for image rights sake.As you stated many pro's won't do that type of work. I may be wrong. I often am daily. You gave many examples, thank you but the only one I saw that came close to this scenario was the event organizer scenario. Still not the same.
Not arguing with my reply,just wanted to explain I offered a possible option for the coach who may or may not be schooled in digital rights contracts. Then again it might just be about protecting the kids. Have a good day Sir.
5d3+ Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35, Canon 40, Canon 70-200L 2.8 ll, Canon 100L Macro, Kenko 1.4 Extender

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 05:55:30 PM »

Nonsense, capture fees are a very common way for professional photographers to work. All the second shooters I have ever used have been capture fee only employed, I have been capture fee employed on many occasions. You can choose to not do it, that is fine, but many pros do work like that.

Think of it like this, I get a job, I employ a second shooter, I am in charge of everything, lighting, posing etc etc, why should the second shooter have any rights over those images? It is not an example of their work, it is an illustration of mine.

Or another, many many pros have "assistants" often shooting with remote cameras, they do not (very rarely) get the image credit, it is the primary photographer.

Or another, an event organizer, they have the rights to the event, they can employ stills and video teams that have no rights to the images they capture, it is a very common scenario.

Or another, many agency employed photographers contract image making, that is they tell a photographer to go and take a specific image. The agency has all rights to those images and the photographer has none, they were contracted on a no rights basis.

See all the Getty Image/AFP credits on images? Many of those are owned by the agency not just managed by it, often you will see ©Fred Blogs/Getty Images, these normally have shared copyright but are licensed through the agency.

People talk a lot of rubbish about copyrights, a contract can, and often does, override any rights you have as the capturing agent to use those images, and that is not, necessarily, a bad thing.

Of course a contract can have you assign the complete copyright to who you are working for, although I think that's considered Work for Hire where you don't end up owning the copyright. However, OP is not being hired under what I see (could easily be wrong) as a traditional Work for Hire type job, IMO. There's also a big difference between "you can't commercialize any of this, but portfolio is fine" vs "you can't have these photos around, anywhere!"

Of course, it's all up to the person being hired if they are willing, and plainly OP is not.

@Dylan777: If it weren't going to be such a PITA driving down there, I'd seriously consider it. However, the extra drive (and needing to rent a lens for that long!), plus not having any at all for any kind of portfolio images makes me say no thanks.

BTW, you're in LA? Cool! Where do you usually shoot at?
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 06:10:55 PM »

Probably doesn't want you to keep photos of children

Why?

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 06:26:09 PM »

Of course a contract can have you assign the complete copyright to who you are working for, although I think that's considered Work for Hire where you don't end up owning the copyright. However, OP is not being hired under what I see (could easily be wrong) as a traditional Work for Hire type job, IMO. There's also a big difference between "you can't commercialize any of this, but portfolio is fine" vs "you can't have these photos around, anywhere!"

Of course, it's all up to the person being hired if they are willing, and plainly OP is not.

@Dylan777: If it weren't going to be such a PITA driving down there, I'd seriously consider it. However, the extra drive (and needing to rent a lens for that long!), plus not having any at all for any kind of portfolio images makes me say no thanks.

BTW, you're in LA? Cool! Where do you usually shoot at?

Hey Drizzt321,
I'm located in Orange County, city of Foutain Valley.

I don't really have any special places in mind. About you?

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
Hey Drizzt321,
I'm located in Orange County, city of Foutain Valley.

I don't really have any special places in mind. About you?

Cool. I'm up in Santa Monica. Don't usually have that much in the way of special spots, although I of course enjoy shooting at the beach and up in the mountains.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 07:30:31 PM »
I would take that gig every day of the week and 3 times on Sunday.  No post processing?  No sorting?  No arguing with soccer Moms about where their pics are?  Please.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 07:30:31 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 08:09:12 PM »
I would take that gig every day of the week and 3 times on Sunday.  No post processing?  No sorting?  No arguing with soccer Moms about where their pics are?  Please.

Obviously some of us are in different places than others ;)  Especially seeing as I don't do photography for a living, so it makes it a lot easier for me to turn down jobs.

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 09:33:20 PM »

I would take the offer if i get to keep the photos. Or even do it free.

$1100 is 10% of my next lens...600mm. But I'm not that desperate for cash ;)

I don't like giving up my work either.  And it is nice to be able to do this as more of a hobby rather than a profession... being able to say no to a gig keeps me a happy man. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 09:33:20 PM »