July 24, 2014, 10:04:46 PM

Author Topic: Paid gig offer: $1,100 CASH, Youth Soccer leagues  (Read 5119 times)

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Paid gig offer: $1,100 CASH, Youth Soccer leagues
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2014, 11:58:41 PM »
If you want to go the dishonest route, you could just recover the photos from the deleted card. But I agree with jdramirez, why not just be honest about it.

I am wondering what the big deal is here.  Is there some chance the coach will find a gem in the photos that will become the next Coke Ad and he will make millions from you?  Is the perfect compliment to your portfolio a 12 year old kicking a soccer ball at a youth soccer field?  What does everyone plan to do with these pics?

Is it an honor thing?  You can take my life, but you'll never take my copyright!   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2014, 11:58:41 PM »

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014, 09:44:24 AM »
If you want to go the dishonest route, you could just recover the photos from the deleted card. But I agree with jdramirez, why not just be honest about it.

I am wondering what the big deal is here.  Is there some chance the coach will find a gem in the photos that will become the next Coke Ad and he will make millions from you?  Is the perfect compliment to your portfolio a 12 year old kicking a soccer ball at a youth soccer field?  What does everyone plan to do with these pics?

Is it an honor thing?  You can take my life, but you'll never take my copyright!   
I can't speak for Dylan, but unless you are a well-established pro with a massive portfolio, you like to hold onto your photos for self-promotion at the very least.  I have a good deal of commercial clients who I have licensed my work to for exclusive commercial use, but I always retain the copyright, the file, and give myself self-promotion rights (after some period of time, at the very least).  The idea of handing someone my photos and then deleting them goes against why I take photographs, and I would only consider it if I was (A) paid extremely well (B) given credit in a very prominent publication, location, etc. or (C) shooting for law enforcement or the military.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

Dylan777

• View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2014, 10:09:46 AM »

As many CR members here, I'm one of those treating photography as a hobby. I'm lucky that I have decent job. The income is good enough to support my family and little hobby on the side :)

I DO NOT know the reason(s) why the coach requested to have all photos deleted, once transfered. He didn't ask me to delete the photos I took the 1st time - only asked if I can keep those photos to myself and try not to share in public.

I simply respect the coach wishes. Besides, I made a new friend here on CR by giving him the coach contact info ;)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:26:39 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

takesome1

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2014, 11:18:38 AM »

As many CR members here, I'm one of those treating photography as a hobby. I'm lucky that I have decent job. The income is good enough to support my family and little hobby on the side :)

I DO NOT know the reason(s) why the coach requested to have all photos deleted, once transfered. He didn't ask me to delete the photos I took the 1st time - only asked if I can keep those photos to myself and try not to share in public.

I simply respect the coach wishes. Besides, I made a new friend here on CR by giving him the coach contact info ;)

Maybe he is in witness protection. If you post his photo's publicly the guy would have to load up and move again.

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2014, 11:28:58 AM »

I take photos for my daughter's school... and if I recall correctly, so do you.  When my daughter was first born my wife didn't want any photos online because of either kidnappers or perverts.  I presume people are still the same way... even though it is like being scared of the boogie man.

Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2014, 11:30:23 AM »

I dit a civil war reenactment over the summer and we were asked not to shoot a certain group because they worked in a sensitive part of the government...

Maybe he is in witness protection. If you post his photo's publicly the guy would have to load up and move again.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2014, 04:31:52 PM »
I make a decent living as well, and photography is a hobby first, and small (but growing) 2nd income 2nd.  But $1,100 (Cash) for 9 hours of work is $122/hr for something most people here would do for free.  That does seem like pretty good compensation for me. 

I do photograph my child's soccer team as well as coach, and I find the dealing with the parents part extremely frustrating.  I was once confronted by Dad who was pissed because I had given the Mom a CD full of photos.  They were not married and he wanted to know where his CD was.  This was a man I had never seen at a game, and was not a polite "Hey, sorry for the bother, but me and the Mrs don't get along, could I...".    To me that was the best part of this job, avoiding all that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2014, 04:31:52 PM »

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2014, 03:44:50 AM »
I make a decent living as well, and photography is a hobby first, and small (but growing) 2nd income 2nd.  But $1,100 (Cash) for 9 hours of work is $122/hr for something most people here would do for free.  That does seem like pretty good compensation for me. 

I do photograph my child's soccer team as well as coach, and I find the dealing with the parents part extremely frustrating.  I was once confronted by Dad who was pissed because I had given the Mom a CD full of photos.  They were not married and he wanted to know where his CD was.  This was a man I had never seen at a game, and was not a polite "Hey, sorry for the bother, but me and the Mrs don't get along, could I...".    To me that was the best part of this job, avoiding all that.
He he, had similar experience. I had one dad complaining that his son was on fewer images than the others, after a 3-day tournament. And a mom complaining that her son was in the second row of the team image, on the side, next to a larger boy, which made him look small and insignificant   ::)
2x5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L II, 70-300/4-5.6L, 200-400/4L 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Sigma 50/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L II

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2014, 04:53:29 AM »
Strange conversations going on here. If I was paid to shoot something as inauspicious as a kids soccer match and then give up the images I'd be quite happy. I wouldn't want them anyway.

However I would be careful to delete bad ( incompetent  ;D ) shots as I went along because I wouldn't want to give a third party unlimited access to those !

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2014, 09:51:42 AM »

He he, had similar experience. I had one dad complaining that his son was on fewer images than the others, after a 3-day tournament. And a mom complaining that her son was in the second row of the team image, on the side, next to a larger boy, which made him look small and insignificant   ::)

I shoot basketball for my daughter's school.  My daughter plays forward and she rarely touches the ball. 
Partly because she isn't a ball handler and mostly because she's not that good.

It is a fact of life that things aren't equitable.  Point guards are going to have all the images of cross over dribbles and rushing the lane.

Goalies will have images where they are stretched out diving to stop the ball.

I don't know where people got the idea that life is fair.  The kids sitting the bench is sitting the bench for a reason.

Anyway, you should have said that you are willing to be hired solely for his kid and here are your rates. 

I could see if as a group the parents all pitched in for the fee and someone felt short changed, but you can't help that his kid picked hood nose during the game rather than run after the ball.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2014, 10:19:38 AM »
This thread has really evolved, with lots of opinions, but in the end, I think it can be summarized in two ways:

1. Dylan (like many of us here) is fortunate enough to be able to turn down paid work, for his own reasons.

2. Dylan was nice enough to pass along a paid assignment to others who might be interested.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 07:20:40 PM »
This thread has really evolved, with lots of opinions, but in the end, I think it can be summarized in two ways:

1. Dylan (like many of us here) is fortunate enough to be able to turn down paid work, for his own reasons.

2. Dylan was nice enough to pass along a paid assignment to others who might be interested.

Agreed.  Though I would have like to have seen a #3 that at least mentioned the nose picking. 

I was in no way criticizing Dylan for turning the work down, and I do appreciate him passing it on.  I am 4,200 miles away, or I would have tossed my name in the hat.   I was just surprised at the number of people upset by the request to delete the photos.  I am very conscious of my copyright, but very happy to sell it when generously compensated.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 07:20:40 PM »