October 21, 2014, 08:48:32 PM

Author Topic: Paid gig offer: $1,100 CASH, Youth Soccer leagues  (Read 5773 times)

tianxiaozhang

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Paid gig offer: $1,100 CASH, Youth Soccer leagues
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »
I'll probably do it precisely because I can avoid spending time photoshopping.....

Although I wouldn't mind keeping a copy.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 10:02:08 PM »
I would take that gig every day of the week and 3 times on Sunday.  No post processing?  No sorting?  No arguing with soccer Moms about where their pics are?  Please.

Obviously some of us are in different places than others ;)  Especially seeing as I don't do photography for a living, so it makes it a lot easier for me to turn down jobs.

If you are in a place where you enjoy post processing and complaints from parents about why their kid who only played for 2 minutes is in just one photo, more power to you. 

takesome1

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 10:21:33 PM »
I really do not see the problem.

Worrying about your copyright, it is a property itself that can be bought and sold. Barter it off for what it is worth, in the case of a Youth Soccer League sports event it is unlikely it will be worth much. Unless of course 20 years from now one of the kids is a superstar.

A person can get on a high horse and say they wouldn't do the work unless they retain their rights.
In that situation they do retain their rights, on nothing and no images as they did not get the job.

Or, take the job and get the rights to 11 pictures of Ben Franklin. ;)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 11:08:14 PM »

Worrying about your copyright, it is a property itself that can be bought and sold. Barter it off for what it is worth, in the case of a Youth Soccer League sports event it is unlikely it will be worth much. Unless of course 20 years from now one of the kids is a superstar.

A person can get on a high horse and say they wouldn't do the work unless they retain their rights.
In that situation they do retain their rights, on nothing and no images as they did not get the job.

After long shooting, some people enjoy reviewing bad & good photos with bottle red wine;)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:18:50 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

takesome1

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 11:27:46 PM »

After long shooting, some people enjoy reviewing bad & good photos with bottle red wine;)

I see nothing wrong with that either.

I am not a pro either and I would turn it down as well if I get no personal satisfaction.

I could think seriously about being a pro if I could get $1100 for 9 hours of work on a regular basis. Not bad wages.

Arctic Photo

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 08:19:04 AM »
I would take that gig every day of the week and 3 times on Sunday.  No post processing?  No sorting?  No arguing with soccer Moms about where their pics are?  Please.
I very much agree with you. It sounds perfect, I've done a few gigs like this (for small pay and have looked at it as practice), turning in the JPGs with no strings attached is good enough for me.

About deleting the photos, I once shot a my children's international school and actually myself asked for a contract to sign where I agreed on deleting all the photos with other people's kids in them. Peace of mind for me when parents at school asked what the photography was all about.

wsmith96

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Gig 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 08:26:03 AM »
3. He wants all photos to transfer to his PC right-after-each game and all photos must be delete from camera(s).
That's an odd request - is that why you turned it down?  Or was it the 9 hours of work at a much smaller rate or something else? 

Congrats on getting another request for your work, sorry it's not going to work out this time.

I would take the offer if i get to keep the photos. Or even do it free.

$1100 is 10% of my next lens...600mm. But I'm not that desperate for cash ;)

Is there a reason you'd want to keep the pictures?  Is your son playing?   Just curious because I'm failing to see how you would lose out on such a request as the chance that a youth soccer league would make such a large gain from your work is low (not discrediting your work - I'm sure you take awesome action shots or you would not be asked in the first place).  I imagine they are going to use your work for flyers/brochures/websites to encourage additional interest in the league.  They probably are just looking to pay once for the next few years.

Either way, your choice is the right one for you - just trying to understand the hang up - probably 'cause I would have jumped at the chance to recoup some equipment money.

edit - oh, one last thing.  I never had to think about this before, but this year we were asked by my children's elementary school to seek permission prior to shooting at any school events.  This included plays that your kid would be in, etc.  The reason - they have a witness protection plan child attending the school.  The staff won't say who it is, but they will tell you if you are clear to take pictures or not.  Perhaps this could be something similar so that the coaches could filter out the pictures and you would not have a copy to post on facebook where the child is accidentally shown.   Just a thought.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 08:39:58 AM by wsmith96 »
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 08:26:03 AM »

takesome1

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 09:40:10 AM »

Either way, your choice is the right one for you - just trying to understand the hang up - probably 'cause I would have jumped at the chance to recoup some equipment money.

I wouldn't claim to know why the OP turned the job down.
I could see reasons that a non-pro would turn the work down.
He expressed one in a previous post, the enjoyment of reviewing his own work.
Some do not pursue photography as work and if you turn it in to work it may not be enjoyable any more.
Depending on a persons financial condition the money may not be as appealing. While $122 would seem like very good wages to many, to some it may not be.

As for a pro turning it down, I could see far fewer reasons. The majority of pro photographers are not going to average $122 an hour and it would be a very good paycheck for them. I am sure there are those who are in the point and position with their business that they can will turn the work down.

danski0224

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 10:00:45 AM »
I would have done it- seems pretty low risk from my end.

The only thing I would suggest to the person making the offer is they provide the memory cards if they want the images. "Deleted" images can be recovered.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

wsmith96

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Gig 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 11:45:20 AM »

Some do not pursue photography as work and if you turn it in to work it may not be enjoyable any more.
Depending on a persons financial condition the money may not be as appealing. While $122 would seem like very good wages to many, to some it may not be.

As for a pro turning it down, I could see far fewer reasons. The majority of pro photographers are not going to average $122 an hour and it would be a very good paycheck for them. I am sure there are those who are in the point and position with their business that they can will turn the work down.

Respectfully, I didn't claim to know why he turned it down - just stating that what ever he decided to do is the right choice for him, not what we recommend here.  I'm sure there are reasons that I don't know.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:46:58 AM by wsmith96 »

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 12:42:33 PM »

Depending on a persons financial condition the money may not be as appealing. While $122 would seem like very good wages to many, to some it may not be

Respectfully, I didn't claim to know why he turned it down - just stating that what ever he decided to do is the right choice for him, not what we recommend here.  I'm sure there are reasons that I don't know.

Thanks takesome1 for making that clear.

wsmith96

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Gig 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 01:30:35 PM »
@ Dylan777 - Understood.

I guess I misunderstood your previous post where you were excited to get paid for taking soccer pictures.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=18158.0

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:32:22 PM by wsmith96 »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 09:28:44 AM »
Here's an idea.

If you have a dual card camera, shoot one with RAW (for you) and one with jpeg and give that card to him to verify pics and show him it is erased.

Likely as not, he'll not notice or know about the 2nd card in the camera.

:)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 09:28:44 AM »

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 10:34:29 AM »
Here's an idea.

If you have a dual card camera, shoot one with RAW (for you) and one with jpeg and give that card to him to verify pics and show him it is erased.

I thought that too, but in our psuedo profession, the last thing we want is for our character to be stained. 

If I say I'm going to do something... it's as good as done.  There are no extenuating circumstances when it comes to following through on a promise. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 06:51:38 PM »
Here's an idea.

To me, politely said "No, thank you" and walked away from that gig was a better option. Besides, there are photographers out there are looking for gigs. It was a Win-Win for everyone :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 06:51:38 PM »