September 30, 2014, 12:45:37 PM

Author Topic: Fee for shooting a College game?  (Read 4521 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Fee for shooting a College game?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 07:57:01 PM »
PM me.  I shoot for 3 universities, and as luck would have it, one each from each division:  I, II, and III. 

Don't expect to get football sideline passes for a particular school.  If nobody goes, they buy everything from USATSI or Getty.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 07:57:01 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 04:38:46 AM »
As I am moving towards shooting sports I would like to shoot college, high school, even pro games.  I understand away teams do often contract local photographers, but I have no idea what this pays.  (I fully realize this is a tough question to answer)

I recently shot 12 college basketball games at a tournament, and offered photos to the teams after.  I had asked $800 for a complete set of the photos.  (4 games per team).  I had some interest in a few photos but nobody took me up on it or even made a counter offer.  I'd have shot the games for free for my own entertainment, so I'm not really out anything.  But if I was going to make this arrangement before the contest, what would I ask?  Was $800 too much?

BTW, I am OK at this.  I've been a photographer for 30 years and have the right equipment.  You can see my work from the tournament here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/103147492@N02/sets/72157638495325753/

Usually D1 teams have their own staff photographer and student photographers. Sometimes they go on away trips, maybe not so much the student photographers unless the game is within some reason of close, the team photographer is more likely travel to a good number of games.

My impression was when nobody goes the school papers just borrow shots that the school photographers at the away team took (for free) and if the team really wants some they'd just get some from staff photographers from papers in their state or maybe AP or Getty. I really don't see the likelihood for sales much.

At a tournament it's pretty often that both student photographers and staff photographers get sent.

I'm not sure, but MAYBE you'd find some scenario here or there, very rarely, where you could get sales. In the (very) few where it might be possible you'd want to act FAST and someone make sure you are on their radar ahead of time. But I really can't see it terribly likely to work out. I was involved shooting some big time D1 stuff and from what I saw internally I'm just not terribly sure you will have much luck.

For pro games sometimes the passes are super restrictive and you are not allowed to even give the photos away to any organization than the exact one your pass says you are shooting for. Heck, most of the time you wouldn't even be allowed to post them in that flickr galler you have (NBA can be ULTRA restrictive). And those were just NBA pre-season press passes.

Lower than D1 colleges probably don't care enough about shots to ever pay for away game shots and any school paper certainly won't have the money to buy them.

My pseudo-educated input.

You're somewhat lucky to be managing to get passes to D1 college stuff for purely just shooting on your own!  And for tournaments that's really quite a shock. I don't see how you'd manage that for the NBA (then again I'm not sure how you are managing it already, so who knows).

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 04:46:56 AM »
Thanks for the advise so far.  I should have mentioned that  am talking about large schools with multi-million dollar sport programs.  Michigan University, Ohio state etc.  And I'm talking about selling to the school.  I really don't want to sell individual photos to parents. 

Yeah, but as I said those schools have students taking their own pics for home and some away games and most tournaments and their own staff photographer (or a local or someone connected to the school who takes pics and with whom they have a special relationship with to get some extra coverage) who covers a great deal of whatever they want and the few odds and ends they get from local contacts with local regional newspaper staff or AP/Getty.

You're lucky you've even been managing to get press passes to shoot those games. Especially since you seem to have strobe and ceiling access and stuff that not even everyone with a press pass gets. I'm actually sort of confused what your scenario is since your access and all seem to be nothing like someone off the street, well beyond that. EDIT: OK I saw your later post and see how you managed. Good job with that, it's not easy to work in, especially in some markets. I'm a few hundred miles away from all my old contacts and in a mega-big time market now and it's pretty crazy here. Even the moderate-sized regional papers don't even bother responding (sometimes they don't even get back to you if they specifically inquired about one of your photos that they saw on the net).

It looks like you probably know what you are doing, but it's tricky to get money for college/pro games unless you manage to work your way onto the schools photo staff or onto the staff of some local or regional newspaper or become a part of something like AP, Getty, ISI Sports, etc.  I mean there are some established freelance guys you see around and they must get some sales to papers or who knows what, so it's maybe not 100% impossible, but it can't be easy and especially if you sound like you are wanting to bounce around from covering this school to that all over the place. EDIT: I guess you got onto some super small local papers. It's not easy to expand shooting for them into sales to others though. But you do seem to have the drive and fight and politeness that maybe you'll manage to slowly work up into something. It's tough though as many papers are struggling to say the least and same for most print and even schools, even big ones, have tight budgets.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 04:56:50 AM by LetTheRightLensIn »

Coolhandchuck

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 07:26:18 AM »
I shot a few boxing matches and some sports festivals and have come to the realization that athletes are cheap.
Canon 6D, Canon 50 1.8, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Sigma 50mm 1.4

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 08:15:59 AM »
Beer money... takes precedence over photo money.

Parents will pay for wow photos they are otherwise unable to get with their point and shoots, but marketing to them can be a challenge...
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 08:15:59 AM »