July 23, 2014, 06:40:15 AM

Author Topic: Which one should I get?!  (Read 3262 times)

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Which one should I get?!
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 10:08:44 PM »
The way I use a fisheye now is more of a non-essential. It's to have it there when i need it. But i feel that I lug it around as a paper weight more often then not. that's why I ruled out the 14mm. It's just a tad bit too wide for everyday practical use as well as astrophotography and landscapes, given the large price tag.

Does anyone have any experience  with the canon 24mm? I really like a fast lens and don't mind that it's fixed focal length. When shooting stars pretty much anything at night more light is always a plus.

as for the Zeiss and the Samyang and maybe Tilt/Shift lenses, I have no experience with Manual focus for more practice uses and everyday stuff.. Is it easy to pick up?

The 24L II is a fine lens, good for just about everything except for astrophotography due to the coma.  To avoid the coma, people stop it down to f/2.8 to f/4.  You don't want to use it wide open for astro.  The 24-70 II is said to have less coma than the 24L II at f/2.8.

If you use a tripod/LV for much of your landscape work, manual focus and tilt/shift will not be hard to pick up.  If you don't use the movements, the TS-Es are about the best EF lenses at their focal lengths.  However the movements give you so much more capability to correct perspective and tilting the focal plane. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 10:08:44 PM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 11:37:47 PM »

NancyP

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 11:28:28 AM »
Samyang has bargain lenses that have been coma-minimal to date. Look at the lenstip reviews of 14mm 24mm 35mm - a true bargain set for astrophotographers. I gather that the Nifty Fifty Canon 50mm f/1.8 II is fine and coma free when stopped down to f/4 - you can't get  much cheaper than that. On my 6D I use the 14mm f/2.8 at f/4 for maximal astrophotographic sharpness, but it will be ok at f/2.8 in my experience. I like manual focus lenses. The Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 and Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 are superb, and if you have unlimited money, go for the TS-E to get the tilt for your daylight landscapes. I happened across a used Zeiss 21 at my local store, bought it, use it at f/2.8, coma free. Coma is reasonable on the Sigma 35mm f/1.4, best results at f/2.8, fine results f/2 in my experience. I am experimenting with inherited and my own old legacy manual-everything lenses for 50ish and 100ish focal lengths. These 40 year old fast normal lenses have coma wide open - aspherical elements were rare back then. I get great sharpness and ok coma at f/2.8, no coma at f/4 with the old Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AIS. It is also a fun special effects lens for the marked aberrations at f/1.2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 11:28:28 AM »