November 28, 2014, 07:16:19 PM

Author Topic: Are Metal Mounts Better Than Plastic?  (Read 12708 times)

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
Re: Are Metal Mounts Better Than Plastic?
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »
As for 'Weather Sealed', 'Rugged', 'Impact Resistant' and other such arbitrary terms, I think a better term would be 'Toddler Proof'.  This term could easily surpass terms even as robust as 'Mil-Spec'!  We all know that no matter how tough something is made and purported to be, 20 minutes with a toddler will usually provide a true test of the ruggedness.

So I suggest we insist on rugged standards that are truly easy to understand.  'Toddler Proof' and 'Firehose Tested' are both easy to understand and hard to fake.    :P
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2014, 03:31:34 PM »
As for 'Weather Sealed', 'Rugged', 'Impact Resistant' and other such arbitrary terms, I think a better term would be 'Toddler Proof'.  This term could easily surpass terms even as robust as 'Mil-Spec'!  We all know that no matter how tough something is made and purported to be, 20 minutes with a toddler will usually provide a true test of the ruggedness.

So I suggest we insist on rugged standards that are truly easy to understand.  'Toddler Proof' and 'Firehose Tested' are both easy to understand and hard to fake.    :P

"Toddler Proof"... now there's an unobtainable standard.... good luck getting the peanut butter off of your sensor :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2014, 03:50:20 PM »

"Toddler Proof"... now there's an unobtainable standard.... good luck getting the peanut butter off of your sensor :)

I opine that kids have been screwed ever since DVD players came along; you could fit a grilled cheese into a VHS easily enough but now they're lucky if they can get a greasy tortilla in there!

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
  • Amateur photon abductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2014, 03:51:05 PM »

Ok I know we walked on the moon and had poeples living in space, but come on, toddler proof... it's not even been put in science-fiction yet!
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2014, 03:55:40 PM »

Ok I know we walked on the moon and had poeples living in space, but come on, toddler proof... it's not even been put in science-fiction yet!

I'm watching a rerun of Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back as I'm working on stuff.  Amazing how easily that futuristic crap is blasted to bits.  Now if it were only 'Toddler Tested Tough'!!  Obviously, they haven't achieved that level of durability in the future either and science fiction hasn't dared to assume so...
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2014, 03:57:50 PM »

I opine that kids have been screwed ever since DVD players came along; you could fit a grilled cheese into a VHS easily enough but now they're lucky if they can get a greasy tortilla in there!

Jim

You see, this is where we differ from kids, we have lost the capacity to believe it will fit in. Beliieve me a grilled cheese will fit in a dvd player.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 04:02:42 PM by IMG_0001 »
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2014, 04:10:51 PM »

I'm watching a rerun of Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back as I'm working on stuff.  Amazing how easily that futuristic crap is blasted to bits.  Now if it were only 'Toddler Tested Tough'!!  Obviously, they haven't achieved that level of durability in the future either and science fiction hasn't dared to assume so...

Realistic Sci-Fi would have four Jedi knights clustered around a pill bottle and trying to get the top off.. (Use the force Luke)... Danger... Excitement.... Child-proof lids..... A Jedi craves not these things...
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2014, 04:10:51 PM »

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2014, 04:35:41 PM »

Jim

You see, this is where we differ from kids, we have lost the capacity to believe it will fit in. Beliieve me a grilled cheese will fit in a dvd player.

And now, this really got me thinking, why are Canon lenses not made of grilled cheese and peanut butter. They could then claim their lenses to have a higher nutritonal value than the competing brands and I'm sure it could help wildlife and bird phootographers get closer to their subjects. It would be a situation where everybody wins!

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2014, 05:15:19 PM »
Great thread - thanks for starting it!

Jack
6D  24-70 F4  70-200 F2.8 II  300 F2.8 II  1.4X III  2X III

Valvebounce

• 1D X
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2014, 05:36:32 PM »
Hi Folks.
14 years in toolmaking taught me one thing, there are four levels to making things,
Fool proof, readily achievable,
Child proof, hard but not impossible,
Idiot proof, almost impossible but not quite, and with a high risk of striking a nerve or two,
Squadie proof, impossible.

Please don't get me wrong, I have a great respect for our service men and women, current and past, and I thank them all for their sacrifices, dad is a Normandy veteran for a start, but please, I have seen things done to the product I used to help make that defy belief!

Cheers Graham.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2014, 11:15:40 PM »
"Toddler proof."  Remember the old Pelican case 'forever guarantee'?  The stated exceptions were shark bite, bear attack, and children under five.   :)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 6D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2014, 11:59:46 PM »
Interesting coincidence...  I was working with a a fellow pro today.  He recently got a 70D and an 18-55 STM for video.  The first time he put the lens on the camera, the mount sheared completely off.  Canon would not replace under warranty claiming abuse.  He picked up another one on sale very cheaply and it works fine.

I got to try his 15-85.  Now that is a nice sharp lens!
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2014, 02:42:44 AM »
Can't resist sharing an anecdote here. My wife's two-year old nephew taught himself how to press the shutter and the playback buttons (after having watched me a couple of times) and was actually teaching his five-year old sister how to do so. Fortunately my 5DIII was mounted on a tripod held on by myself with both hands!
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2014, 02:42:44 AM »

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2014, 01:16:59 PM »
Can't resist sharing an anecdote here. My wife's two-year old nephew taught himself how to press the shutter and the playback buttons (after having watched me a couple of times) and was actually teaching his five-year old sister how to do so. Fortunately my 5DIII was mounted on a tripod held on by myself with both hands!

Lovely anecdote. Having an adult acting as a watchdog to prevent toddler induced damage is a way of "toddler proofing" things I guess. I still prefer to let my 2 years old son use my cheap smartphone for playing the photographer game, but DSLRs do seem to attract the kids. My son always run to me and asks to see the photos on the back screen as soon as he sees the camera (or smartphone for that matter). I've read Neuro posting that kids are fast running and have unpredictable trajectories... well for my son that is only true as long as I keep my 60D stored. Otherwise, it is very easy to predict the trajectory, he aims straight at the objective with his finger pointing toward the middle of the front element.

surapon

• 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2014, 01:26:52 PM »
Hi Folks.
14 years in toolmaking taught me one thing, there are four levels to making things,
Idiot proof, almost impossible but not quite, and with a high risk of striking a nerve or two,
Squadie proof, impossible.

Please don't get me wrong, I have a great respect for our service men and women, current and past, and I thank them all for their sacrifices, dad is a Normandy veteran for a start, but please, I have seen things done to the product I used to help make that defy belief!

Cheers Graham.

Ha, Ha, Ha---Dear Graham---You make my day
"14 years in toolmaking taught me one thing, there are four levels to making things,
Squadie proof, impossible. "

I love your Beautiful Words and Beautiful Thinking----Ha, Ha, Ha.
Have a great work week.
Surapon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2014, 01:26:52 PM »