August 20, 2014, 11:13:02 AM

Author Topic: No more electronic level while LiveView is active after firmware upgrade (5DM3)  (Read 882 times)

Meuns00

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Hi everybody,

I noticed something weird after upgrading my 5D Mark III to the latest firmware recently (version 1.2.3 if I'm not mistaken).  I used to be able to see the electronic level while using LiveView to shoot still pictures by pressing the Info button until it appeared.  Right after upgrading the firmware I noticed I couldn't get the electronic level when using LiveView anymore.

It still appears on the LCD screen when I press the Info button if I'm NOT using LiveView.  I suspect it might have something to do with the firmware upgrade, but it could also be a coincidence.

Has anybody else noticed the same thing?  Is it just an option that I could change to enable it again?  I sure hope it wasn't completely removed in the latest firmware version...

Thanks in advance for your help!

canon rumors FORUM

notapro

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
If I read and understand your question correctly, it seems that the electronic level should still be available during Live View.  When not in Live View, I get the electronic level after pressing the Info button twice.  When in Live View, up to four presses of the Info button may be necessary, depending on your starting point in the menu sequence.  I am using firmware version 1.2.3.

Meuns00

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot for your reply notapro!

Thanks to you I quit suspecting the firmware version and went back and looked at all the options and found the cause of my problem!
It turns out I had changed the LiveView autofocus to "AF :-)" (the Live Mode with the smiley face) by mistake.  For some reason the electronic level does not display when using this AF mode.  It works fine when using any of the other 2 AF modes (Live Mode or Quick Mode).

To be fair this is clearly written in the user manual, but since I had never used this particular AF mode and never thought the electronic level function could be linked to the AF mode I did not look at this section of the manual.

I just hope this can be useful to other readers of the forum if they ever encounter the same situation.

Thanks again for your help!

P.S.  English is not my first language so I make great efforts to be as clear as possible, but I probably don't always succeed!  ;)

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
Hi Meuns00.
I couldn't have helped you as I don't have a 5D III. However your English would not have caused a problem, it is clear and concise and frankly better than many native English speakers! Many though not all non native users of a language have far more respect for that language and it's grammar and spelling than do the native users who are lazy and readily butcher the mother tongue to end up as slang nonsense. Congratulations on your English abilities.

Cheers Graham.

7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

Meuns00

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Thanks Graham, it's nice to see my efforts are appreciated!  I won't tell you how long it takes me to write these short posts though...  ;)

Have a nice day!
Sébastien

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
Hi Sebastien.
Just noticed you are new here so I bid you welcome to the forum. I admire those who manage more than one language, I am a typical Brit in that I speak just one language, though I do know that speaking louder does not make you understand so maybe not completely typical!  ;D What is your location, language?

Cheers Graham.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Hi Sebastien.
Just noticed you are new here so I bid you welcome to the forum. I admire those who manage more than one language, I am a typical Brit in that I speak just one language, though I do know that speaking louder does not make you understand so maybe not completely typical!  ;D What is your location, language?

Cheers Graham.
+1  Welcome!

canon rumors FORUM

Meuns00

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Thanks for your warm welcome my friends!  :)

I've been coming to CanonRumors daily for well over a year and find it an amazing source of reliable information, but I just decided to take the plunge and create my account for the forum.

I live in an area of the province of Québec (in Canada), where most people only speak French.  Of course being surrounded by over 300 million English speakers in North America helps to learn the language!  ;)
My reading comprehension is excellent and my listening comprehension is quite good, so you won't have to speak too loud if we ever meet Graham!  :)  My written English is not too bad, but I have to take my time and really think about what I'm trying to say.  Speaking in English is still quite a challenge though, cause I never get the chance to practice around here.  For some reason it seems my mind goes blank when I have to speak and I'm always trying to find my words...

I have found tons of great information on this site (especially on the forum, where many people are extremely knowledgeable) and I hope I can contribute a little.

I hope you have a very nice day,
Sébastien

canon rumors FORUM