August 23, 2014, 02:09:51 AM

Author Topic: CES 2014. Nikon D4s is a fact. What can be expected from Canon?  (Read 10601 times)

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: CES 2014. Nikon D4s is a fact. What can be expected from Canon?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 06:47:04 AM »
So no mention of release date.  What good is this information other than to stifle sales of the D4?

It's a lot of information. "No new sensor", is the first thing I read in the announcement. Nothing about "high res".
So it will be the same old 16MP D4 sensor , probably in the "improved" Df version. No increase in fps. Slightly tweaked AF algortihms (no new AF module). Slightly improved new "X peed" chip. Somewhat better video. Maybe, just maybe WiFi built in. Yawn.  :P

Instead of a kick-butt D4x based on the 36MP D800/E sensor plus revolutionary new dual-pixel AF.  ;D
WiFi, NFC, GPS and radio wireless flash commander built-in. Along with 2 matching radio-controlled CLS/iTTL speedlites and transceivers for existing older speedlites, instead of continued stone-age optical triggering. ;D

xps

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 07:13:22 AM »
So no mention of release date.  What good is this information other than to stifle sales of the D4?

It's a lot of information. "No new sensor", is the first thing I read in the announcement. Nothing about "high res".
So it will be the same old 16MP D4 sensor , probably in the "improved" Df version. No increase in fps. Slightly tweaked AF algortihms (no new AF module). Slightly improved new "X peed" chip. Somewhat better video. Maybe, just maybe WiFi built in. Yawn.  :P

Instead of a kick-butt D4x based on the 36MP D800/E sensor plus revolutionary new dual-pixel AF.  ;D
WiFi, NFC, GPS and radio wireless flash commander built-in. Along with 2 matching radio-controlled CLS/iTTL speedlites and transceivers for existing older speedlites, instead of continued stone-age optical triggering. ;D

found @ dpreview: "Nikon has announced it is working on the D4S which, like the D4, it describes as an 'HD-SLR.' Details are extremely slight, with the company promising a new image-processing engine and improved autofocus performance."

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 07:31:32 AM »
Considering the previous iterations were D3s (12MP) & D3x (24MP), it's hard to see Nikon doing anything more with a D4s over the D4 than some minor tweaks, I find myself agreeing in this instance with AvTvM, a bit of a yawn, something like the D600 versus the D610 iteration.

Would really liked to have seen Nikon drop a 36MP D4x into the Market, if for no other reason than it might (big might) have given Canon some extra incentive to get that 1Dxs into the 2014 Market @ 45MP, we live in hope.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 10:26:41 AM »
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/01/07/nikon-announces-development-of-d4s-professional-hd-slr?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_2

Btw: Canon still has no competitor to the D800E. The 1D line is twice the price of the D800.  Maybe Canon will be able meet our wishes in 2014 (high MP Cam @ moederate costs, 7DII,...)

Corrected Posting:

BTW: Nikon still has no competitor to the 5DIII. The D4 line is twice the price of the 5DIII.  Maybe Nikon will be able to meet its customers wishes in 2014 (high ISO, Low-Noise Camera at fair price, D400...)

The point is, just because Nikon offers slightly different specs, it doesn't make it better. I much prefer what Canon did with the 5DIII to what Nikon did with the D800 and judging by the comparative sales figures, it seems like the market agrees.

As for this new Nikon, I'm trying to figure out what's so different. Meet the new Nikon, same as the old Nikon? And, if high megapixels are so wonderful, why doesn't Nikon put a high megapixel sensor in its flagship?
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

MichaelHodges

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 11:31:21 AM »
Looks like a sweet camera.
The previous Nikon S versions have been very minor increments. Expect nothing more than a bigger buffer and faster processing to go with it. As far as I know there's never been a new sensor or an increase in frame rate introduced with an S version.

By all accounts this won't bring Nikons flagship up to 1D X levels of performance.

And if it does or bests Canon, what then?

Does? All of the Nikon FF cameras best Canon *now*. 

xps

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 11:36:58 AM »
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/01/07/nikon-announces-development-of-d4s-professional-hd-slr?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_2

Btw: Canon still has no competitor to the D800E. The 1D line is twice the price of the D800.  Maybe Canon will be able meet our wishes in 2014 (high MP Cam @ moederate costs, 7DII,...)

Corrected Posting:

BTW: Nikon still has no competitor to the 5DIII. The D4 line is twice the price of the 5DIII.  Maybe Nikon will be able to meet its customers wishes in 2014 (high ISO, Low-Noise Camera at fair price, D400...)

The point is, just because Nikon offers slightly different specs, it doesn't make it better. I much prefer what Canon did with the 5DIII to what Nikon did with the D800 and judging by the comparative sales figures, it seems like the market agrees.

As for this new Nikon, I'm trying to figure out what's so different. Meet the new Nikon, same as the old Nikon? And, if high megapixels are so wonderful, why doesn't Nikon put a high megapixel sensor in its flagship?

Sorry, I meant that Canon has no big MP Camera and some friends of mine, working for an big Canon supplying company, told me, that Canon will release an big MP Cam - but in the price-region of the 1DX.
Some Nikonians say, that Nikon is developing an gamechanging high-end model... Maybe this is true. Maybe not. We will know in some years.

Fact is, that every company found its niche, where an special Camera-model is better then the competitors.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 12:09:34 PM »
And if it does or bests Canon, what then?
Does? All of the Nikon FF cameras best Canon *now*.

You're welcome to your own opinion, but that opinion obviously differs from that of the majority of people actually buying Canon and Nikon FF cameras. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 01:58:27 PM »
Sales of the D4 have been hurting, so a minor upgrade will put it on a competitive level.  A better processor and improved autofocus.  Both of these were weak points, but we have to see how much improvement there actually is.  Nikon seems to be playing a game with gullible buyers, first the D620 and now the D4s.  Mostly just a label change to get those with $$$ to buy the latest and greatest.

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 02:12:26 PM »
VERY interesting. Something has to happen in the Canon camp!

How so for you?:) You have pretty much all of the goodies Canon has to offer and then some. If you want to develop further, I would expect you to turn your attention towards Hasselblad? and not bother what Nikon does... imho :)
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 02:34:26 PM »
VERY interesting. Something has to happen in the Canon camp!

How so for you?:) You have pretty much all of the goodies Canon has to offer and then some. If you want to develop further, I would expect you to turn your attention towards Hasselblad? and not bother what Nikon does... imho :)
A 45MP 1D  ;)
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 02:34:48 PM »
It's clearly a "protectionist" announcement to keep Nikon's Pro shooters from switching over to Canon.  It only serves to let their shooters know that a better camera is coming.  What a news flash...I'm sure no one was expecting Nikon to release an improved camera in...the future :o

I suspect the heavy rebating/double dips, etc. on Canon's end put a dent in Nikon's sales over the last few months and they're trying to keep their market share.

EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 02:43:10 PM »
It's clearly a "protectionist" announcement to keep Nikon's Pro shooters from switching over to Canon.  It only serves to let their shooters know that a better camera is coming.  What a news flash...I'm sure no one was expecting Nikon to release an improved camera in...the future :o

I suspect the heavy rebating/double dips, etc. on Canon's end put a dent in Nikon's sales over the last few months and they're trying to keep their market share.

That's what I was thinking too. "Don't go guys... we have something GREAT in store for you. Have faith!"
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

slclick

• 7D
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 02:54:44 PM »
I expect for Canon to release whatever they have in the pipeline at their own pace and date.Tit for tat "they better hurry and parry with a better product" simply hasn't happened recently. Most folks seem to understand the development cycle for new products but when a competitor has a release (product or press) many still assume Canon will counter asap.

2014, Year of the Lens. Unfortunately for Canon, that might be Sigma's slogan as well!
5d3+ Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35, Canon 40, Canon 70-200L 2.8 ll, Canon 100L Macro, Kenko 1.4 Extender

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2014, 03:03:57 PM »
That's what I was thinking too. "Don't go guys... we have something GREAT in store for you. Have faith!"

Yep, we have the D4s - it has a new Expeed processor that will really make your jpg images pop, because we know none of you out there shoot NEF files.  Oh, and better AF.  Better how?  Just better.  Trust us.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 03:23:03 PM »
A few years ago Canon were is a very dominant position in the pro market, really very clearly dominant. This announcement, it seems to me, could push Canon's response two ways; first, it could make Canon relax on the next 1 series release as the 1Dx is clearly more than competitive against the D4/D4s; or Canon could see the blood in the water and come out with an aggresive release to put the Nikon pro market on the back foot again. It isn't hard to think of a modest list of additions to the 1Dx that would put it into the next generation of the 1Dx/D4 market and leapfrog the D4s completely.

I fear it will be the former.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.