April 24, 2014, 11:05:00 PM

Author Topic: EOS-1D X Firmware Version 2.0.3 Released  (Read 7036 times)

sagittariansrock

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: EOS-1D X Firmware Version 2.0.3 Released
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2014, 04:29:57 AM »
Is there potentially any way to have AF point-linked spot metering on 5DIII via firmware or is it strictly a hardware thing? Just for curiosity's sake.
Never sarcastic, just misinterpreted sometimes.

EOS 5DIII | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 135mm f/2 L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 2x III | 600-EX-RT | 2x YN-622c

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2014, 04:29:57 AM »

kozakm

• PowerShot G16
  • EOS-1D X, EOS 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Art of Sport photography
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2014, 04:55:40 AM »
Because 5D III uses different metering sensor from 1DX, it could be a matter of hardware. Plus from what I remember, this feature was always 1D line only...
Art of Sport Photography - www.artofsport.cz

pvk

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2014, 05:30:09 AM »
Does Magic Lantern still work after the update?

:)

Did it ever work with the 1dx?

Doctor: After your hand operation you will even be able to play the piano! Patient: Great, I could not do that before!

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2014, 05:34:11 AM »

Doctor: After your hand operation you will even be able to play the piano! Patient: Great, I could not do that before!
;D  ;D  ;D

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2014, 05:46:42 AM »

;D  ;D  ;D

Lol..Tron, an oldie but a goodie!
Look closer, it's not a robin.

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4x and 2xiii, 85 1.8, 40 2.8, 300 2.8Lis

messus

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2014, 07:35:33 AM »
Still no clean HDMI. That's it!! I am selling this overpriced camera! Nikon D4s next! ARROGANT Canon!

And please consider this Canon:  Not all who own the 1DX are sports idiots or ornithologists, some just want the best possible low light performance for their creative work!

I work and shoot in the dark (video and stills). And the 1DX has one stop ISO advantage over the 5D Mark III, and has way less color banding when lifting shadows than the 5D Mark III. But after Canon gave the 5D Mark III clean HDMI the advantage is less than before on video.It is certainly possible to give the 1DX clean HDMI, since the 1DC hast it. But Canon finds it more convenient to force me into selling my house to buy the 1DC, than to give the 1DX the same features as the Nikon D4 !!!

Why did you put "idiots" behind sports?

Sorry about my bad choice of words, and sorry for my bad english, my main language is not english.
Certainly did not mean to offend anyone, in my frustration I was just mentioning the two main categories for which some believe the 1DX is intended for. My choice of words may have been "childish", in my frustration. But I have to say, some of the answers given me are just as "childish", maybe I deserved that. But  I have to say I am amazed how brand loyal some can be, rather than being loyal to the technology that are possible, some are more loyal to their choice of brand!

I know there are a lot of hardcore still-photographers out there that could not care less if your camera could do video or not. Still, it is a fact, that todays DSLRS are not only being bought and used for still photography. Video on DSLR has brough new amazing creative oportunites. And we are all looking to get the most "bang for our bucks".

Remember when the 1DX was introduced? The first commercial story was aobut these ice climbers who filmed with their 1DX. Like it or not, the 1DX is supposed to be able to do video as well. Professional video.

And believe it or not, I also do some photography of birds, whales, and events where the 1DX is excellent. However, the fact is that the main competing product to the 1DX is the Nikon D4. The Nikon D4 has virtually the same photographic capabilites as the 1DX, and it also has clean uncompressed video, the 1DX does not, and the 1DX is even priced higher! And the reason is not because the 1DX can't have clean HDMI, it is because Canon does not want it to have it, because they want you to protect their video department from cannibalization, and they want you to splash out USD$14,000 on the 1DC. (Remember when Canon said that it was impossible for the 5D Mark III to get clean HDMI video?) This arrogant behaviour of Canon is what makes me angry and frustrated. Obviously, since I have invested heavly  in Canon over the years, in both bodies and glass.

Yeah I know the 5D Mark III is more aimed at the HDSLR user. But my initial point was, and still is, the 1DX has a far superior sensor to the 5D Mark III (I know since I have them both). And working in the dark makes the 1DX far superior with less noise, particularly less color noise, and less color banding in the shadows when lifiting shadows. When the 5D Mark III was upgraded with clean uncompressed video you got much more control over the quality of post processing and compression is in your own hands. You should not have to pay an extra USD$7000 just to get the clean HDMI video (1DC), when the Nikon D4 which is priced lower than the 1DX has clean HDMI.

I think it is disrespectfull of Canon to offer clean uncompress HDMI to the 5D Mark III after preassure from their customers (the 5D Mark III did not initially have clean HDMI video), but not to the much more expensive 1DX, even when a large group of CPS 1DX users are asking for the same.

In the end, Canon's goal of protecting their video department, and their greedy arrogant behaviour, could prove to be their downfall. Nikon will continue to improve their HDSLRS, and that's why I am eagerly awaiting the D4s. Some say it will get 4K video. A loose rumor, but who knows, it is already possible to shoot short bursts of 4K RAW video on the Nikon 1 mirrorless compact.

Please people, stop being so unconditional brand loyal. Start demanding bang for your bucks from Canon!!

Have you forgotten the red-dot-blinking-follow-focus-AF-issue with the 1DX? Still annoys me why that focus point can not be illuminated constantly rather than blink!

Bennie_CanonShooter

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2014, 09:59:17 PM »
anybody got issues with the MANUAL MODE Av Value - I cant change it.

but when I move to C1 or Av Mode - I can.

I reset all my settings to default. Same Issue.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2014, 09:59:17 PM »

Hendrik

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2014, 05:56:17 PM »
I have a dark spot I have used as a test point for lowlight AF, nothing hitech, but nothing has locked there except the 5d2, 1dx wouldn't lock with 4 point, now it locks VERY quickly with single point only on. I can't wait to put this to good use, wow, what a difference!

Hi Viggo, I've just upgraded to 2.0.3. With the 24-70f2.8II reliably focussing at 4 ... 5 Lux = 5 s, f2.8, ISO100 in one shot mode, with 1.2.4 approx. 2 Lux more needed to achieve focussing lock on a low contrast object.   
I'm looking for more practical test will follow at the weekend.

bdunbar79

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2014, 10:17:37 AM »
I just upgraded both bodies to 2.0.3.  I will have a lot of testing coming up, with basketball on Thursday, indoor track on Friday, and more basketball and indoor track next week.  I haven't shot a lot of winter sports yet, but the schedule is fairly full from now until March 1-2. 

OldBloke

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2014, 12:38:35 PM »
@Bernie, Canon Shooter
Just tried M mode & no problems .... just confirm you have power switch at ON, not LOCK ?

Bennie_CanonShooter

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2014, 01:02:46 PM »
YES - I tried that and double checked everything.

in fact - everything was fine - until I attached my 580EX II and that's when I noticed the Av on M mode issue.

Also, the LOCK icon would show if it was on LOCK - I tested that as well.

Also, on C1 mode, everything is fine

but in M mode - the Av got stuck, now, the Av works but the Shutter is stuck and now both the quick dial and knob changes Av value.

I think my 1DX got a bug :( on M mode

so now, Im using C1 instead (everything works fine on C1 mode)

I also removed the battery, lenses, flash and reset all settings.

:(

@Bernie, Canon Shooter
Just tried M mode & no problems .... just confirm you have power switch at ON, not LOCK ?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:05:00 PM by Bennie_CanonShooter »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2014, 09:07:29 AM »
i've upgraded to the new firmware and everything is fine on my 1dx....i've shot two indoor sport events without any problems.   

fwiw...i don't notice much difference for my use.
Look closer, it's not a robin.

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4x and 2xiii, 85 1.8, 40 2.8, 300 2.8Lis

Gino

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2014, 10:56:12 PM »
There doesn't seem to be very much feedback about the new firmware update, so I'm curious to know if the 1DX owners are noticing much of an improvement with autofocus in low light conditions with the new firmware update...or noticing any improvements at all for that matter?

thanks
Canon 1D X & 5D MK III | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 70-300L | 24-105 f/4L | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 50 f/1.4 | 40 f/2.8 STM Pancake | Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG HSM | Speedlite 220EX | Speedlite 600EX-RT 
Nikon D600 | 16-35 f/4G ED VR | 28-300 f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2014, 10:56:12 PM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
  • everything is possible, just do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2014, 12:52:26 AM »
There doesn't seem to be very much feedback about the new firmware update, so I'm curious to know if the 1DX owners are noticing much of an improvement with autofocus in low light conditions with the new firmware update...or noticing any improvements at all for that matter?

thanks

To be honest they are some important enhancements, but the AF system is quite complicated, and while I do appreciate some of the changes that make it easier to move around, it really is business as normal. I get the impression that the improvements are all genuine, but it is difficult to notice the changes, especially as it has been now a month or so since it was released and I can't really remember what it was like before, I just know it worked.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

apersson850

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2014, 06:11:57 AM »
but in M mode - the Av got stuck, now, the Av works but the Shutter is stuck and now both the quick dial and knob changes Av value.
You are aware of that it's possible to program certain cameras, like the 7D and 1DX, to have shutter speed on both dials or aperture on both dials, in M mode?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2014, 06:11:57 AM »