October 20, 2017, 09:00:09 AM

Author Topic: Where are Canons innovation?  (Read 21065 times)

Pitbullo

• EOS Rebel T7i
Where are Canons innovation?
« on: January 09, 2014, 02:37:46 AM »
I was just wondering about where Canons innovation has gone? Sure, they put a touch screen on a dslr, but that is not really innovative. We´ve had this on smart phones for a long time (yes, they are caneras as well), but that is about it. WiFi? They have offered WiFi for a long time as well, but as an add on feature. Integrating it is more of an evolution, the same as with the touch screen.

The reason I ask this question, "where are the innovation" is because I recently bought my wife a Sony NEX-6, anf my poor 550D looked really really ancient next to it!! Dont get me wrong, I do enjoy shooting my canon, and I have solid lenses, but it really was a huge gap between the Canon and the Sony.

I do think that Canon produces very good, solid performing cameras, no doubt. The 5D3 and the 1DX really dont have true competition. They are not the best at everything, but as a whole, perhaps the best tools avaliable for the professionals. However, I´m not a professional, though quite enthustiastic :)
Where is Canons equivalent to the Sony A7/R or the Nikon DF? Where is the downloadable apps for the Camera, motion sensors etc.? The EOS M? Never tried it, but from what I understand, a good, solid performer (after the FW update), but not very innovative.

The thing is, the people at Canon are not stupid, I am sure they have all the technology in the world to make super innovative cameras (yes, even fix the DR-problem that really isn´t a problem), but why dont they show us, or just give us some hints? Where are Canon at the CES?

I am not the type that want the latest and greatest technology at the moment it is released. But, I am gonna upgrade my equipment in a couple of years. Hopefully I can stick to Canon and not feel I´m buying an old relic.

canon rumors FORUM

Where are Canons innovation?
« on: January 09, 2014, 02:37:46 AM »

mkabi

• EOS 7D Mark II
Re: Where are Canons innovation?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 09:27:56 AM »
If touchscreens are not innovative, then...
I dont think Canon has released anything innovative ever.

You see Sony is putting their fingers everywhere.... Putting them where it doesn't belong, trying to lure customers, while reducing their own reliability.

I will tell you something, and I trully believe this...
I believe that every company is good at one thing, and 1 thing only sometimes 2.
Canon is good with imaging, apple is good with user friendly GUI, etc.
Sony used to be King of TVs... Now falling behind Samsung, panasonic, etc.
And yet, I still buy Sony TVs for its past reputation.

Sony is good with innovation and disruptive technology, but whats the point of being on the bleeding edge if that same tech becomes obsolete because there wasn't enough acceptance and/or they replace with something bigger and better in 6 months?

What I think Canon is doing is patiently waiting, waiting to see what everyone is accepting before they add that feature to their camera?

Sold my Canon DSLRs waiting on my RED Raven preorder. EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L, EF 85mm f/1.8, EF 100mm L f/2.8 Macro, Custom Cine 50mm & Custom Cine 35mm.

NancyP

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 11:12:34 AM »
70D focus system is pretty innovative.

Pitbullo

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 11:20:24 AM »
Thank you for a good and well thought out reply. I must say I agree with you for the most.
Touchscreen could be innovative, if smart phones hadn´t shown what could be done with a touchscreen and a camera. They were a bit late.

Sony is as you say, an inovative company. However not the most reliable. Canons way, just sitting on the fence is a safe and steady way, I just would like them to have a bit of Sony in them, if you know what I mean. Internally I bet they go bananas with ideas and prototypes, it is just that so little reach the public eyes and ears. A little bit of lunacy or madness, just a hint, would be nice. Show us a litle bit of that innovation.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 11:59:05 AM »
Where is Canons equivalent to the ... Nikon DF?

First off, are you suggesting the Df is innovative?  How so?  A 'pure photography' camera with a focus screen unsuitable for manual focus?  Regardless, if Canon just me-too's the Df, that's still not innovative on Canon's part.

Maybe you missed dual pixel AF, using nearly every pixel on the image sensor for phase detect AF?  Kinda innovative, no?
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 12:50:09 PM »
Canon makes cameras. You use them to take pictures. How much innovation do you need? Will it make you a better photographer?

Don Haines

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 12:52:06 PM »
What about all those people who care more that the camera is solid and reliable?

Inovation brings risk. Canon is a conservative company and has managed to stay on the top of the heap that way... I doubt you will see it change.

That said, they have a huge R+D department, produce lots of patents, and some of them make it to the real world. Most do not, but you learn as much or more from what doesn't work as from what does. Difractive Optics are an inovation... so is dual-pixel autofocus... What about the use of Flourite glass? Most of the inovations will be invisible to the consumer, like better processing algorithms, autofocus algorithms, manufacturing and machining advancements...

Go back ten years, look at the cameras and glass availiable, and then tell us there have been no inovations..

And to beat Neuro to the punch :) Profitability :) If you look at the competition, this may be the greatest innovation of all.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 12:52:06 PM »

Pitbullo

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 12:59:07 PM »
Where is Canons equivalent to the ... Nikon DF?

First off, are you suggesting the Df is innovative?  How so?  A 'pure photography' camera with a focus screen unsuitable for manual focus?  Regardless, if Canon just me-too's the Df, that's still not innovative on Canon's part.

Maybe you missed dual pixel AF, using nearly every pixel on the image sensor for phase detect AF?  Kinda innovative, no?

To start, the dual pixel AF is a bit innovative, however, I am not sure Canon is the only ones to offer this (nor the first, but not sure about that).  I see this as an avolutionary step to be able to drop the mirror and still keep the AF performance of the dSLR.

The Nikon DF is perhaps not very innovative either, but it is a bold move! They dared to do something different than they usually does. I like that, even if the camera itself is not the perfect product.

Pitbullo

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 01:03:02 PM »
Canon makes cameras. You use them to take pictures. How much innovation do you need? Will it make you a better photographer?

And phones are for making calls, what do you need an iPhone for?? And, if you are not interested in the camera technology, why are you even at this site? A rumor site!!

I am not here to start a fight, it was just a question. A question that popped at the moment I tried the NEX-6. It seemed lightyears ahead of my 550D (apart from AF). Using the same 18mpx sensor in a trillion cameramodels kind of exemplifies what my point is. As I said, perhaps "innovative" is the wrong word... Could Boring be more correct?

unfocused

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 01:56:19 PM »

And phones are for making calls, what do you need an iPhone for?? And, if you are not interested in the camera technology, why are you even at this site? A rumor site!!

I am not here to start a fight, it was just a question. A question that popped at the moment I tried the NEX-6. It seemed lightyears ahead of my 550D (apart from AF). Using the same 18mpx sensor in a trillion cameramodels kind of exemplifies what my point is. As I said, perhaps "innovative" is the wrong word... Could Boring be more correct?

Fair enough. But, since you didn't explain what it is about the NEX-6 that makes you feel it is light years ahead of Canon, the post sounded a bit like trolling. And, since you are comparing it to a four-year-old entry-level DSLR, do you think that is a fair comparison? Are you sure you aren't simply reacting to the realization that your 550D has gotten a bit dated?

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 01:58:25 PM »
The 600RT. I'd really like a 430RT.  :P

Pitbullo

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 02:15:27 PM »

Fair enough. But, since you didn't explain what it is about the NEX-6 that makes you feel it is light years ahead of Canon, the post sounded a bit like trolling. And, since you are comparing it to a four-year-old entry-level DSLR, do you think that is a fair comparison? Are you sure you aren't simply reacting to the realization that your 550D has gotten a bit dated?

Sure my 550D is dated, but it still does its job, so I´ll hang on to it :)

My bad, since I did not tell what about the nex-6 that put the Canon in the shadow... Well, it is a bit hard to out in words, but it is very compact, APS-C, a fantastic EVF, loads of functions like downloadable apps, WiFi, face detection and smile detection. Then there is the feel to it, it just feels... modern when I use it!
I have not had the time to use it that much, but it is the same with my dads A77, it just feels... modern!

Drizzt321

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 02:30:13 PM »

Sure my 550D is dated, but it still does its job, so I´ll hang on to it :)

My bad, since I did not tell what about the nex-6 that put the Canon in the shadow... Well, it is a bit hard to out in words, but it is very compact, APS-C, a fantastic EVF, loads of functions like downloadable apps, WiFi, face detection and smile detection. Then there is the feel to it, it just feels... modern when I use it!
I have not had the time to use it that much, but it is the same with my dads A77, it just feels... modern!

I think again, a 4 year old camera (especially it being entry-level) compared to brand new high-end ILC isn't a fair comparison. For the 550D of course. Now, I'll grant you, the EOS-M doesn't really excite compared to the NEX-6 either, but that or the 70D is a much better comparison than the 550D.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 02:30:13 PM »

sb in ak

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 04:09:38 PM »
Canon can get away with it as they are at the top of the heap. They might as well just watch Sony muck around with the mirrorless stuff until they get it right enough, then jump in.
5D III : 24-105L : 40 Pancake : 85 1.2L II : 70-200 f/2.8 IS II

unfocused

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 04:31:37 PM »
Canon can get away with it as they are at the top of the heap. They might as well just watch Sony muck around with the mirrorless stuff until they get it right enough, then jump in.

I might be a bit more charitable in phrasing it, but I sort of agree. I think both Nikon and Canon are content to slow walk their entry into mirrorless and let others spend the money to do their market research for them. They are both 800 pound gorillas and if the market looks profitable, they can pretty well come in and crush everyone else simply on the strength of their brands.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 04:31:37 PM »