December 03, 2016, 11:04:02 AM

Author Topic: Will Canon Answer the D4s? [CR2]  (Read 107010 times)

AvTvM

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Will Canon Answer the D4s? [CR2]
« Reply #345 on: February 07, 2014, 04:51:25 PM »
actually, I AM dreaming of starting a REALLY RIGHT digital camera company. :-)

Design of the product lineup and selling it would be really easy. Sourcing of components is what concerns me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #345 on: February 07, 2014, 04:51:25 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #346 on: February 07, 2014, 04:56:47 PM »
actually, I AM dreaming of starting a REALLY RIGHT digital camera company. :-)

Design of the product lineup and selling it would be really easy. Sourcing of components is what concerns me.

I'd be more worried about your market size.   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #347 on: February 07, 2014, 05:38:40 PM »
This is like wondering when will Apple respond to HP and Dell's workstations with a new Mac Pro (which is thankfully out now).  Just like Apple, Canon can afford to wait until they have something worth putting out. Top-of-the line might be where the "pro" reputations are made, but the money is made toward the bottom-end. So don't be too surprised that Canon takes their sweet time.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 05:40:32 PM by HurtinMinorKey »

AvTvM

« Reply #348 on: February 08, 2014, 12:35:56 PM »
I'd be more worried about your market size.   :P

don't worry. All the cameras in my dreams are really great. None of them is marketing-crippled. They'll sell like hot-cakes.  8)

Semprasectum

• Canonflex
« Reply #349 on: February 12, 2014, 01:06:05 AM »
I am in the process of changing from Nikon to Canon.  I have been a professional sports shooter for over a decade and recently became disenchanted with Nikon's service and that combined with a Canon rep allowing me to use a 1DX I have decided to make the change. 

With that said, the Canon rep dissuaded me from changing immediately with the clear message being a successor for the 1Dx is at hand.  This rep had no reason to lie or mislead, so I will spend the rest of the bb season and track season with my D4 and D3s but by this fall I expect no to have the 1Dx successor available to me, but the successor to the 1Dx available.  Just my 2 cents   ;D

Anyone interested in some pristine Nikon gear, D4, D3s, 200mmf/2VRII, 400mmf2.8VR and a dozen other  pieces of quality Nikon glass it will be available at Sports Shooter in late May. . .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/semprasectum/12359730805/#
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:20:43 AM by Semprasectum »

CarlTN

« Reply #350 on: February 12, 2014, 01:30:08 AM »
The 6D further improved on the 5D2, yet you don't give it any respect.  You're biased, that's all.

Sure, it further improved the IQ a bit, which was already excellent on the 5DII.  It improved the metering, too.  It didn't significantly improve the AF or frame rate, which were the 5DII's biggest deficits.  The 6D has a less robust shutter with a 1-stop lower max speed, slower Xsync, and a shorter rated lifespan. The 6D has a substantially longer shutter lag.  So considering IQ only, the 6D improved on the 5DII, but overall it's a mixed bag.  The 5DIII improved on the 5DII in pretty much every way.  At least on Amazon (not that it means much) the 5DIII is outselling the 6D.

The 6D's biggest 'feature' is its lower cost. 

Of course, AvTvM might say the 6D is not 'dated' because it has WiFi.  Nice if you want to upload your JPGs to Facebook on the fly, I suppose.  I thought it would be great for remote triggering, but someone pointed out that after a short time the connection drops, and you have to physically access the 6D to reactivate the link - that severely limits the utility, IMO (the WFT options for other bodies aren't limited in that way, but you pay a big premium for them).

I'm not big on the Wi-Fi aspect, myself.  And thanks again for posting that insulting cartoon that you claim depicts me.  I would like to post the cartoon I have for you, but I would get banned, where you're likely being paid every time you take a cheap shot at me...if not in money, then in "atta-boys"...

As for the shutter lag being far longer for the 6D than the 5D3, how about posting a link that shows evidence of that?  I've not seen it.  I very highly doubt it's much different.  Even the 1DX has close to or the same shutter lag as the 5D3, from what I have seen.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-6d/canon-6dA.HTM

"Canon rates shutter lag as around 60 milliseconds (we measured 59), which is near-identical to that of the EOS 5D Mark III."

At least you are starting to admit to the 6D's positive attributes...but that's only so you can pretend that you aren't biased.  Nobody believes it...I'm surprised you didn't mention that the 6D is technically "not full frame", since the sensor is .2 mm smaller in height and width.  Apparently nobody cares about this anymore, but they sure pretended to when the 6D was first introduced.

Arctic Photo

• EOS M3
« Reply #351 on: February 12, 2014, 02:30:32 AM »
The 6D further improved on the 5D2, yet you don't give it any respect.  You're biased, that's all.

Sure, it further improved the IQ a bit, which was already excellent on the 5DII.  It improved the metering, too.  It didn't significantly improve the AF or frame rate, which were the 5DII's biggest deficits.  The 6D has a less robust shutter with a 1-stop lower max speed, slower Xsync, and a shorter rated lifespan. The 6D has a substantially longer shutter lag.  So considering IQ only, the 6D improved on the 5DII, but overall it's a mixed bag.  The 5DIII improved on the 5DII in pretty much every way.  At least on Amazon (not that it means much) the 5DIII is outselling the 6D.

The 6D's biggest 'feature' is its lower cost. 

Of course, AvTvM might say the 6D is not 'dated' because it has WiFi.  Nice if you want to upload your JPGs to Facebook on the fly, I suppose.  I thought it would be great for remote triggering, but someone pointed out that after a short time the connection drops, and you have to physically access the 6D to reactivate the link - that severely limits the utility, IMO (the WFT options for other bodies aren't limited in that way, but you pay a big premium for them).

I'm not big on the Wi-Fi aspect, myself.  And thanks again for posting that insulting cartoon that you claim depicts me.  I would like to post the cartoon I have for you, but I would get banned, where you're likely being paid every time you take a cheap shot at me...if not in money, then in "atta-boys"...

As for the shutter lag being far longer for the 6D than the 5D3, how about posting a link that shows evidence of that?  I've not seen it.  I very highly doubt it's much different.  Even the 1DX has close to or the same shutter lag as the 5D3, from what I have seen.

"Canon rates shutter lag as around 60 milliseconds (we measured 59), which is near-identical to that of the EOS 5D Mark III."

At least you are starting to admit to the 6D's positive attributes...but that's only so you can pretend that you aren't biased.  Nobody believes it...I'm surprised you didn't mention that the 6D is technically "not full frame", since the sensor is .2 mm smaller in height and width.  Apparently nobody cares about this anymore, but they sure pretended to when the 6D was first introduced.
Actually Carl, I thought more of it as an olive branch.

It's fun what you write about the sensor size on the 6D. people tend to get very upset about tiny details just to have something to complain about, then after a whiöe when it turns put it was aquite a good camera you hear very little about it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #351 on: February 12, 2014, 02:30:32 AM »

NostraHistoria

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #352 on: February 12, 2014, 11:36:15 AM »
Nikon D4s listed at Adorama as a 24MP camera
By [NR] ADMIN | Published: FEBRUARY 12, 2014
Nikon-D4s-camera-with-24MP-sensor
Adorama lists the Nikon D4s camera with a 24MP sensor, 11 fps and 51 points AF system (update: the listing is now removed). The camera is listed to include:

Nikon D4S HDSLR Camera
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL18
Battery Charger MH-26
USB Cable UC-E15
USB Cable Clip
Camera Strap AN-DC7
Body Cap BF-1B
Accessory Shoe Cover BS-2
Eyepiece DK-17
Battery Chamber Cover BL-6
UF-2 Connector Cover
UF-1 Connector Cover
Nikon View NX2 CD-ROM
Nikon 1 Year Warranty

Read more on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com/2014/02/12/nikon-d4s-listed-at-adorama-as-a-24mp-camera.aspx/#ixzz2t7u1Ym8Y

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #353 on: February 12, 2014, 11:57:03 AM »

Thanks for the correction, I was wrong on the shutter lag (a quick look at a top Google hit, Snapsort, from my phone, which lists the shutter lag as 290 ms, but I didn't verify, my fault).  FYI, the defult 1D X shutter lag is 55 ms, but enabling a C.Fn drops it to 36 ms if you're shooting no narrower than ~3 stops from wide open - the disadvantage to that mode is if you stop down more, you get a lag that varies with how far you stop down).

I didn't know the 6D has a dwarf FF sensor, wow, now I have something else to hold against it.   :P  Obviously, the 0.2mm doesn't matter in practice, anyway…and it may be that when you factor in the masked pixels at the edges of the sensors, there's no actual difference in the active imaging area (i.e. the 6D might have a physically smaller sensor but also a narrower region of masking).

I'm realisitic, not biased. "Starting to admit"? The reality is that the 6D is a capable camera, as I've stated many times...but it's also at the bottom of Canon's full frame range.  The 5DIII is better, the 5DII is better in some ways and worse in others (although that's partly irrelevant since it's no longer current), and the 1D X is better still.  If you want to believe that I'm biased against the 6D, then I would hope you'd realize that you're far more biased than me, albeit in the opposite direction.

In my experince, when you extend an olive branch to someone with a huge chip on their shoulder, they tend to think you plan to hit them over the head with the branch and they often respond aggressively. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

Chuck Alaimo

• 5DSR
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #354 on: February 12, 2014, 01:02:45 PM »
Nikon D4s listed at Adorama as a 24MP camera
By [NR] ADMIN | Published: FEBRUARY 12, 2014
Nikon-D4s-camera-with-24MP-sensor
Adorama lists the Nikon D4s camera with a 24MP sensor, 11 fps and 51 points AF system (update: the listing is now removed). The camera is listed to include:

Nikon D4S HDSLR Camera
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL18
Battery Charger MH-26
USB Cable UC-E15
USB Cable Clip
Camera Strap AN-DC7
Body Cap BF-1B
Accessory Shoe Cover BS-2
Eyepiece DK-17
Battery Chamber Cover BL-6
UF-2 Connector Cover
UF-1 Connector Cover
Nikon View NX2 CD-ROM
Nikon 1 Year Warranty

Read more on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com/2014/02/12/nikon-d4s-listed-at-adorama-as-a-24mp-camera.aspx/#ixzz2t7u1Ym8Y

One of my nikon shooting friends posted a rant on FB the other day about how nikon needs to innovate cause they aren't giving him a reason to upgrade from his d3 (I would argue that the d3s or the d4 would be an upgrade...)  Either way, that led me to see what the current buzz is...

Still no real news but the majority are saying it will have the same 16 MP's but in a slightly improved sensor, plus a few other improvements that don't sound like much. 
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Semprasectum

• Canonflex
« Reply #355 on: February 12, 2014, 02:45:40 PM »
Unless the D4s is able to at least equal the focus capabilities of the 1Dx, they have no reason to release the D4s . . . Nikon isn't stupid, the focus performance will be upgraded, the ISO performance will be enhanced and I would expect the cosmetic MP increase to say, 21 . . the only real thing that matters in this upgrade is the focus improvement, it this isn't done, no professional will by it . . . and they need professionals to buy their flagship . . .  I expect Nikon to present a vastly improved product. . .. JMHO. . . . now, if they would just improve their service ::)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 04:29:46 PM by Semprasectum »

Arctic Photo

• EOS M3
« Reply #356 on: February 15, 2014, 05:20:59 AM »

In my experince, when you extend an olive branch to someone with a huge chip on their shoulder, they tend to think you plan to hit them over the head with the branch and they often respond aggressively.
[/quote]
Well I enjoy following and learning from both of you guys here.

CarlTN

« Reply #357 on: February 16, 2014, 11:22:24 PM »

Well I enjoy following and learning from both of you guys here.
[/quote]

Thanks, I admit my knowledge is limited in many areas.  When I'm wrong, I try to admit that too...at least until it gets deleted by the thought police.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #357 on: February 16, 2014, 11:22:24 PM »