December 21, 2014, 05:13:58 AM

Author Topic: Price predictions - with current lineup and possible changes  (Read 16982 times)

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
Re: Price predictions - with current lineup and possible changes
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 04:30:29 PM »
One more vote for the 5D2. Taste the future. Croppers would be inevitably relegated to the low-end Rebels soon ;P.
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 04:30:29 PM »

oalali

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 04:32:16 PM »
Did you think about buying a 5d mark II used ?? or even the original 5d.

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
Yes, even a 5D1 is a noticeable IQ increase from a 350D or any cropper for that matter. It's even better at low ISOs IMHO than the 5D2. You could get a non-pro abused body for about the same price as a 60D. Spend the rest of your budget on fast primes.
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

DarStone

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 04:42:33 PM »
Since your 40D was broken you might try the Canon Loyalty program to buy a refurbished camera, and save the rest for a new 5Dm3, or what ever in the future. Checkout his post on Digital Grin: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=101755

Canon Loyalty Program: 866-443-8002

I called Canon this AM (Aug 11, 2010) to ask about trade in for a very old elph or an S30, this is what I was told:

a1100 $72
a470 $48
sd1200 $86.40
SD 960 $134.40
SX120IS $119.59
DSLR's
T1i $455.99 (519.99 with kit lens)
XS (319.99 with kit lens)
XSI $335.99 (399.99 with kit lens)
When I called back later to ask about trade-ins for my 350D, just for the heck of it, a different operator added this info
40D $559.20 ($719.20 with 28-100 IS kit lens)
50D $719.20 ($839.20 ditto)
7D $1119.20
5D11 $1679.20

this second operator told me that these were the prices no matter what camera I was trading in, but I didn't clarify whether or not all camera trade-ins would qualify for the prosumer cameras. I can't believe I'd get that 5DII or the 7D discount for trading in an ancient elph, but maybe.. I should have clarified.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 06:14:54 PM »
LOL - well, to be honest, I made that 'mistake' with a T1i that I upgraded to a 7D after about 5 months.  Not sure it really was a mistake, since prior to the T1i my photography had all been done with point-and-shoots since I left my film SLR behind, which was in the days before autofocus lenses...  The T1i let me ease into the dSLR world and learn my needs and wants.  I lost less than the cost of a nifty-fifty when I sold the T1i. 

I also bought the 300mm f/4L IS and subsequently sold that in favor of the 100-400mm since 300mm wasn't long enough, and the affordable 400mm prime lacks IS.  But, I had learned my lesson - I bought the 300mm prime used, and for such a good price that I actually turned a profit when I sold it!

The 7D is a great camera for the birds and wildlife that I shoot most often, and it does ok for family shots around the house (the T1i's AF couldn't keep up with my toddler, which is what makes me leery of the 5DII).  So, when I go FF it will likely be a supplement to a 1.6x crop, and I'm waiting for better AF in a 5DIII, or I'll bite the bullet and go 1DsIV, if/when that comes.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

that1guy

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 06:57:10 PM »
Since your 40D was broken you might try the Canon Loyalty program to buy a refurbished camera, and save the rest for a new 5Dm3, or what ever in the future. Checkout his post on Digital Grin: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=101755

Canon Loyalty Program: 866-443-8002

I called Canon this AM (Aug 11, 2010) to ask about trade in for a very old elph or an S30, this is what I was told:

a1100 $72
a470 $48
sd1200 $86.40
SD 960 $134.40
SX120IS $119.59
DSLR's
T1i $455.99 (519.99 with kit lens)
XS (319.99 with kit lens)
XSI $335.99 (399.99 with kit lens)
When I called back later to ask about trade-ins for my 350D, just for the heck of it, a different operator added this info
40D $559.20 ($719.20 with 28-100 IS kit lens)
50D $719.20 ($839.20 ditto)
7D $1119.20
5D11 $1679.20

this second operator told me that these were the prices no matter what camera I was trading in, but I didn't clarify whether or not all camera trade-ins would qualify for the prosumer cameras. I can't believe I'd get that 5DII or the 7D discount for trading in an ancient elph, but maybe.. I should have clarified.

Wow, that is cool, I didn't know they did that. For that price, I could almost get a 5DII now, even though it isn't an AF upgrade, and then sell it for nearly that price after the 5DIII comes out.

The 5D isn't exactly what I want, but it is still better than my 20D. I just was hesitant because I didn't want to loose a lot of money getting a 5DII and then selling it to get a 5DIII a year or so later. Hmmmm...do you thing they would take a "well loved" 20D as trade?

Jarveye

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 07:14:46 PM »
yes the loyalty programme...

unfortunatley i'm in the UK, and while i may be loyal to canon they are not loyal back to us here, and dont offer anything like this for us here.

otherwise i would have done this and traded in both my bodys to get something better.

unfortunatley i might be able to sell my 350d for a pittance, and as for the 40d, im not sure what i can do with the 40d... i feel its worth something..

basically it was dropped onto concrete, the screen on the back still works but has a bad crack behind the plastic on the actual screen (obscures around 3rd of the screen), the main problem is the shutter, it is now strangely sticky - when you fire a shot it sticks up, fire another it takes a photo with it stuck up, fire again the mirror goes down, fire again and it takes a photo with the mirror stuck down, and so the cycle continues, and rapid fire fps doesnt work.

my insurance company said it could be fixed for around £120, but given my excess and losing my no claims i opted instead to pay myself, but then was quoted around £350 by canon when i investigated it myself - at this point i kinda gave up on it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 07:14:46 PM »

that1guy

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 07:57:48 PM »
I went ahead and emailed canon usa to ask about both my point and shoot and my 20D. I'll let you know what they tell me.

papa-razzi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 08:18:47 PM »
On dpreview they have a picture http://a.img-dpreview.com/articles/photokina2010/Canon/DSC00744.jpg? of a guy holding the new 400mm 2.8L in his hand. Yes, in his hand. I've used the old 400mm 2.8L and that's a "gripped firmly in both hands" or "on tri-/monopod" lens.
I actually find it hilarious :D

If you look closely, you can see the sleeve of his left hand, so actually he is holding it in two hands, but the photo is trying to hide that as best it can.
6D | 7D  | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM | EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM |
EF 35mm f/2 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8

Jarveye

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 04:47:11 AM »
I went ahead and emailed canon usa to ask about both my point and shoot and my 20D. I'll let you know what they tell me.

Keep me posted on that please, im guessing by that you mean your also in the UK but are trying to contact the USA branch about their loyalty programme?

as well as my working 350d and broken 40d i also have a broken G9, so it would be great to be able to trade all these in towards a 5d II, which i have pretty much settled on i think.... are refurbished 5dII's available from their loyalty programme?

StepBack

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 09:05:18 AM »
I don't know when any FF will be upgraded, but it seems that the response to the 60D indicates that not leap frogging the 7D the way Nikon used their D7000 to make a big splash, Canon will up the ante with respect to the FF's rather than make a few adjustments. From some forums one thing users want is to reduce noise and I don't know that ISO in the tens of thousands is the way to go. Perhaps Canon could improve the software in the body and reduce the cost of the lenses to create sales rather than camera envy. I'm not big on post op processing. It says less about the art of photography and more about photography as art.

richy

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 10:21:59 AM »
mifsuds do some great used kit in the uk. Ive spent a lot with them new and used when I lived in the UK and their service and pricing rocks.
As for pricing changes, I think I got my 5d2 within a year of it being released, whilst it was still out of stock most of the time, and paid 2100 gbp for it body only. The 7d i bought stateside with bing cashback and canon rebate for approx 1200 usd not too long after it was released. Waiting for canon rebate season might be an idea, or picking up a used camera. I would get a 1ds2 if I needed a decent ff with great af on the cheap, not perfect for everyone (poor screen, lacks many modern features) but its also cheap so you pays your money and takes your pick :)
Given you have 3rd party lenses and will lose a ton o money selling them i would try stick with canon unless you can find good deals on used lenses. If you had L glass weirdly you wouldnt lose as much as it goes used for 80-90% of retail a lot of the time.
No idea when canon plan to release any more cameras, wish i did. I'm holding my capex budget over to next year or just buying medium format digital, sick of waiting for canon. Ill keep the current setup but I was waiting on the 1ds4 before deciding. If canon do release a 5d3 expect it to be about 2600 gbp give or take and probably to be scarecer then an honest politician for at least 12 months. Dont expect the 5d2 to drop too much more, the 5d still sells for a pretty penny used! although it will drop some.

that1guy

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 12:49:51 PM »

Keep me posted on that please, im guessing by that you mean your also in the UK but are trying to contact the USA branch about their loyalty programme?

as well as my working 350d and broken 40d i also have a broken G9, so it would be great to be able to trade all these in towards a 5d II, which i have pretty much settled on i think.... are refurbished 5dII's available from their loyalty programme?

Actually, I'm in the US. I just wasn't sure if my cameras would qualify for the program. It sounds like they will. Canon responded really quick (which has been my experience every time with them) and they gave me a number to call. They told me to tell the person on the phone that I was working w/ someone over email about the loyalty program.

I guess they actually send you a mailing label so that you can send your camera in, so that sounded cool. Figured I'd have to pay for that myself.

The number they gave me to call was different I believe than the one that was posted in the forum here, so not sure why that is.

They didn't quote me any prices in the email message. That is what I was really curious about. I want to know how much of a discount I will get, and what cameras I would qualify for. I would have called the number to find out, but I was told that I needed to have the serial number for the camera I wanted to send in when I called, and unfortunately that is at home.

I'll continue to keep you all posted as I find out more. If you are curious about the program in the UK, I would just email Canon. The worst they could say is "no." Just go to their website and click on the Contact link. They have always been really good about answering any of my questions.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 12:49:51 PM »

Edwin Herdman

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 07:16:17 PM »
Wikipedia (yeah yeah...) had some info about the loyalty program on the EF lenses article (go to the section about L lenses).  I think they said something like one pro body (which at this point means no lower than the 7D, it seems clear that the 60D isn't supposed to qualify as a "pro" camera...) and three (or maybe just two?) L lenses.  I think that was for the US, and could be different for other regions.

I'm hoping that there will be a refresh of the 5D line soon so there isn't quite as severe a tradeoff when moving up from the 7D in terms of autofocus performance - unless you want to / can afford to move to a 1D / 1Ds body, that is.

I am thinking about the 60D simply because it is affordable.  I really ought to consider getting a 7D more strongly, but I'll balance the loss of better heat dissipation (maybe) and autofocus and burst with still-better-than-the-T1i bursts and AF of the 60D, plus all the other nice points it has going for it.  Microadjust might be important as well for some of my lenses but I'm not sure yet.

richy

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 10:06:45 PM »
Interesting thread, there are some underlying rules on competition that might help. Canon wants competition, no competition means its harder to look better, they also don't want to go head to head with Nikon, very few companies do want to do that, they may bring out models with a similar intent (i.e. say pro sports photog) at similar prices but you will usually see them do it in a different manner, if they went toe to toe and both put out a ff sports model it would be much easier to compare them exactly and pick a winner.

All that said, I am surprised canon isn't pouring more into r&d, they could really do with at least speeding up their glass updating (and bringing in new glass, like a 200-400) and many would argue their body lineup has a few areas that need attention.

ApsH vs full frame d3, you would have to compare output in the final medium. Canon have stated that their FF tech will ghost at 10fps (if I remember right) and there are mirror issues, so they use the apsh setup. They probably lost some high iso performance, but in general they are both amazing cameras which achieve the same thing slightly differently. Its really amusing (sorry I mean this with the best intent :)) to see a Nikon FF referenced as the right way to go over a crop when Nikon spent years telling the universe there was no need for FF and that crop was just as good and had cost advantages, then they release a FX and suddenly FX is the dogs danglies. Really you have to look at them based on how the product (final shot in its intended medium) looks and the keeper rate if appropriate to figure out which is best and thats going to vary person to person.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 10:06:45 PM »