September 23, 2014, 08:27:47 AM

Author Topic: Help! My Camera Won't Focus After Cleaning It.  (Read 6255 times)

bgran8

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Help! My Camera Won't Focus After Cleaning It.
« on: January 10, 2014, 02:45:00 PM »
So, I decided to clean my sensor on my 5d Mark ii for the first time. All I was using was the Dust-Aid Platinum stamp to get a couple pieces of stubborn dust. Well, after I finished I put my lens back on to see if I could see any dust in a picture. The only problem is that my camera will not focus now. I have tried every focus point with no luck.

Any ideas on what I could have done and how to fix it? I am guessing I will have to send it in to Canon. Thanks for your help.

canon rumors FORUM

Help! My Camera Won't Focus After Cleaning It.
« on: January 10, 2014, 02:45:00 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Help! My Camera Won't Focus After Cleaning It.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 02:55:50 PM »
Apologies for asking very basic questions, but:

1) Is the lens set to AF?

2) Have you tried activating Live View and focusing that way, using Live AF (not Quick AF)?

3) Have you tried manually focusing (in live view and/or through the viewfinder)?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 03:06:51 PM »

2) Have you tried activating Live View and focusing that way, using Live AF (not Quick AF)?

3) Have you tried manually focusing (in live view and/or through the viewfinder)?

and also, is the camera able to communicate with the lens?
The best camera is the one in your hands

bgran8

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 03:43:24 PM »

and also, is the camera able to communicate with the lens?

1) The lens is set to AF

2 & 3) Manually focusing works through live view and the AF even works in live view in Live AF and Quick AF. Manually focusing does not work through the viewfinder. I just cannot get a clear picture that way. The camera does attempt to focus when I am using the viewfinder, but it cannot lock the focus. When I take a picture using the best focus it can achieve through the viewfinder it turns out the camera is front focusing.

4) The camera does communicate with the lens

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 09:36:33 PM »
Although I've seen posts saying that cleaning your lens is safe, there are a few like yours that have resulted in problems.  there is a sub mirror and lens assembly under the main mirror that folds up as you raise the mirror.  Its possible that it was misaligned and can be snapped back into place.
It would not cause a issue with  manual focus though.

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 05:02:08 AM »
Hi.
This is confusing as live view Quick AF is using the same focus system as looking through the viewfinder, so does it achieve accurate focus lock on Quick AF, or just go through the motions and miss? I can't see how live view Quick AF could work yet viewfinder AF and even manual through he viewfinder could miss!
Another basic possibly stupid question but is the lens fully engaged and locked, or could it have stopped short of locking somehow, affecting Lens body communication?

Have you checked the secondary mirror, perhaps the flipping down of the main mirror for live view Quick AF is forcing it in to the correct location where a static start is allowing it to be out of line?
When you get to the bottom of this do tell us as it is an interesting situation that most of us will probably never experience.

Cheers Graham.

2 & 3) Manually focusing works through live view and the AF even works in live view in Live AF and Quick AF.

7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 12:22:45 PM »
Does your lens have a focus limiter turned on and are you focusing to an object that is too close to focus on? This is from a personal experience. I lost about 10 minutes of my life to this silly thing  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 12:22:45 PM »

bgran8

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 01:02:08 PM »
So I called Canon's service center to send in the camera. They had me reset all of my settings and for whatever reason that seems to have fixed my camera. I don't know what could have been switched, but now I have to go through and change everything back to the way I had it, which is kind of a pain. Also, apparently my diopter wheel had been moved causing the image to be blurry through the viewfinder. It must have been moved as I was cleaning the camera, but I didn't think that was a possibility. Thanks for the help and input.

I'm going to try a wet cleaning as the previous method doesn't seem to have worked well (there are still a good number of dust spots). Any thoughts on the DustAid Dust Wand Kit?

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 01:22:15 PM »
Are you sure it's dust? It's not oil or lubricant stain?

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 01:26:16 PM »
Hi bgran,
Have a look at this post
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=18870.0
before going wet, although I have wet cleaned my 7D I may have been lucky! Also have a look here,
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/05/the-lensrentals-lens-cleaning-methods
A wealth of information from a person highly regarded by many on this forum.

Cheers Graham.

So I called Canon's service center to send in the camera. They had me reset all of my settings and for whatever reason that seems to have fixed my camera. I don't know what could have been switched, but now I have to go through and change everything back to the way I had it, which is kind of a pain. Also, apparently my diopter wheel had been moved causing the image to be blurry through the viewfinder. It must have been moved as I was cleaning the camera, but I didn't think that was a possibility. Thanks for the help and input.

I'm going to try a wet cleaning as the previous method doesn't seem to have worked well (there are still a good number of dust spots). Any thoughts on the DustAid Dust Wand Kit?
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 01:33:55 PM »

Reset to factory settings is always a good place to start when you think a camera is broken....

I have a friend who bought a T5i and was complaining that the view has always blurry, but the pictures seemed to be in focus.... the presence of the diopter adjustment was a big surprise :) Lots of people don't know it exists. For me, with my bad eyesight, diopter adjustment is unconscious, I just do it automatically without thinking... never occurred to me to ask you to check it. Sorry!
The best camera is the one in your hands

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 02:03:38 PM »
A note on the diopter wheel. It's easily turned accidentally in many situations. It's worth remembering that the AF points in the viewfinder should be in sharp focus irrespective of where the lens is focused. If they're not sharp you're diopter wheel needs tweaking.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »
A note on the diopter wheel. It's easily turned accidentally in many situations.

Kinda nice that it's behind the eyecup on the 1D X.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 04:51:05 PM »
A note on the diopter wheel. It's easily turned accidentally in many situations.

Kinda nice that it's behind the eyecup on the 1D X.

Don't rub it in  ;)

Interesting that now the 5D series has been up graded to full professional status (mkiii) it still has the exposed diopter wheel whereas the 1D series have always had it covered and protected from accidental movement.

I'm often catching mine and moving it out of true.  :(

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 04:55:48 PM »
Don't rub it in  ;)

I guess I shouldn't mention the built in viewfinder shutter, either.  :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 04:55:48 PM »