December 17, 2014, 09:57:51 PM

Author Topic: Patent - Touchscreen & Wifi Rebel?  (Read 5404 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Patent - Touchscreen & Wifi Rebel?
« on: October 17, 2011, 10:33:08 AM »
Your future DSLRs to be touchscreen? Photography bay is showing off a Canon patent showing a touchscreen DSLR. The DSLR is shaped like a Rebel just for diagram purposes. Although that would be the logical first camera to do it to.

They also makes a point of showing the Wifi logo on the screen of the camera. That could be a feature a lot of people would like to see built into a DSLR.

Read More at Photography Bay

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Patent - Touchscreen & Wifi Rebel?
« on: October 17, 2011, 10:33:08 AM »

Ziggy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Patent - Touchscreen & Wifi Rebel?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 10:57:32 AM »
just hope there is nothing sensitive that my nose will hit.  For I don't know about others, when shooting horizontal, my nose is pressed on that screen.  Can they put the format button there??  that would be priceless!!

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 11:19:51 AM »
This is the iTard / iSheep syndrome spreading, as if making everything w/ a touchscreen would somehow make it better or faster or easier to operate. A solution looking for a problem. But then again, the target market seems to be the same ones who can't operate any electronic gadget with more than one hardware button...  :P Lulz.
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

Stuart

• EOS M2
  • Hi there, welcome from a photo fan.
    • View Profile
    • JackAllTog on ePhotozine
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 11:49:06 AM »
Wifi & an DPP app - auto upload the photo for immediate display on the PC monitor - YES PLEASE.

Touch screen Excellent for focus points and zooming in live view.

Now how long till tomorrow -  the 18th....
Canon 60D, 24-105, 50 F1.8. 430EX II.
Sigma 10-20, 70 F2.8, 70-300. Studio.
Giotto tripod, Hoya filters.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 11:57:18 AM »
I just hope that if they implement a touchscreen, they use a better one than is on my Vixia HF M41 camcorder - I swear, sometime I come close to brusing my fingertips to get it to register an input...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RichFisher

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 01:04:31 PM »
I keep hoping for bluetooth so I can use my iphone (itouch) as a remote for the camera.

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 01:13:10 PM »
This is the iTard / iSheep syndrome spreading, as if making everything w/ a touchscreen would somehow make it better or faster or easier to operate. A solution looking for a problem. But then again, the target market seems to be the same ones who can't operate any electronic gadget with more than one hardware button...  :P Lulz.

Yeah, and you know that auto-focus thing...?  That's just a fad that'll never last.
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 01:13:10 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 01:49:43 PM »

Camcorders have used touch screens for many years, I like them better for large fingers than miniscule buttons, but Its fine if you prefer one or the other.

I expect that the feature could be disabled, just like video, you will not be forced to use it.  Thats the case with existing touch screen cameras.

eos650

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 02:09:39 PM »
The problem with touch screens, is that you have to look at them to see where to touch. With buttons, once you know their position, you can press them by feel, without looking. I'm sure some people will love the touchscreen, but I couldn't care less.

It makes sense that at some point WIFI will become standard issue. Of course the presence of the indicator may or may not mean this camera has it built in. My 60D has WIFI support, but requires the addition of an EYE-FI card.

Note the WIFI logo in the attached image:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:41:30 PM by eos650 »

seta666

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 06:07:47 PM »
As long as they do not remove analog controllers/buttons from the camera I do not mind touchscreen; regarding wi-fi on a Rebel... I think a MP3 player would be much more usefull ;-)

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 06:58:38 PM »
I don't mind them putting it on a camera, but I probably wouldn't use it. Maybe only if tripod-mounted and checking focus in live-view, or scrolling through replay images.

And as long as there a nice big physical OFF switch whilst shooting, my screen is always filthy because my cheek is up against it when using the viewfinder.

Put it on the rebels, xxxD, that's the gimmicky stuff like in-camera-sepia that would impress the masses.
Being able to control it using the latest iToy app is probably coming for them too.
But I ain't impressesed enough to upgrade just for that...

(maybe this is a way to diffrentiate the 70D/650D from the 60D/600D without actually adding any more camera-worthy specs or a new sensor?)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 07:08:48 AM »
and noone seems to have noticed this yet, from http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/eos_1d_x_explained.do

Key specifications
    * Silent control touch-pad area
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 08:21:24 AM »
Yeah, and you know that auto-focus thing...?  That's just a fad that'll never last.

Wow, you just argued that you agree with my point. AF made it faster to focus than is humanly possible. Touchscreens on the other hand, makes camera operations slower, doesn't have tactile nor haptic feedback, and as I've said, doesn't solve any problem.
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 08:21:24 AM »

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 09:30:51 AM »

Wow, you just argued that you agree with my point. AF made it faster to focus than is humanly possible. Touchscreens on the other hand, makes camera operations slower, doesn't have tactile nor haptic feedback, and as I've said, doesn't solve any problem.
No, that was an attempt at humour, actually. I disagree completely with your original point, especially the unnecessary "iTard/iSheep" characterization.
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

Gawno

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 05:46:25 PM »

No, that was an attempt at humour, actually. I disagree completely with your original point, especially the unnecessary "iTard/iSheep" characterization.

lol u mad?

I agree with "Marx Dee-5 TAEM Too" eyetards/eyeturds/eyesheep are too simple with their 1 buttons to care about ingenuity though....that's why they buy overpriced garbage instead of doing their research.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 05:46:25 PM »