August 01, 2014, 05:12:06 AM

Author Topic: Birders don't use Canons?  (Read 10894 times)

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Birders don't use Canons?
« on: October 17, 2011, 02:33:12 PM »
Okay, while everyone waits for the announcement (or possibly non-announcement) of a new DSLR, I thought I'd start a new topic for entertainment purposes.

New movie out in the U.S. "The Big Year" is a semi-comedy about competitive bird watching. I couldn't help but notice the incredible job of product placement done by Nikon. Basically, everyone in the movie (aside from one scene using an Olympus) was using a Nikon camera or Nikon binoculars usually with a Nikon-branded strap prominently displayed.

I didn't see a single Canon in the movie. Just a coincidence I'm sure. :)

I don't know what models of DSLRs they were using, but I was amazed at the pictures they all seemed to capture, especially since most of them seemed to be using kit lenses. I guess I must be doing something wrong.

So, let's have some fun. What's your favorite/most amusing/most preposterous film scene involving a camera? What clever photo product placements have you seen in the movies or on television recently?
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

Birders don't use Canons?
« on: October 17, 2011, 02:33:12 PM »

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
Re: Birders don't use Canons?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 02:45:36 PM »
I will say that, when it comes to binoculars and other non-photographic viewing optics, Nikon has a much bigger and deeper selection of equipment.  all the binoculars and rangefinders in my house are Nikon, despite us being a Canon household photography-wise.  it makes sense that, if folks are going to be purchasing Nikon glass for other equipment, they may just enjoy going all-out Nikon.

I met some Nikon-wielding birders when I was down in Ecuador this year.  from chatting with them, there seemed to be two reasons they picked Nikon over Canon:

1. the 200-400 VR, which I believe Canon is about to readily respond to with the even more awesome 200-400+1.4x

2. the perception that Nikon equipment held a bit more cachet to it than Canon equipment did.  let's face it, it's an expensive hobby, and people who pursue expensive hobbies have expensive tastes.  so possibly more of them buy Nikon.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 02:47:29 PM »
Watch 80s movies, Nikon's been paying big bucks for years for product placement.  Been noticing it a lot lately myself.  Saw some in an old Resident Evil movie the wife and I were watching the other night.  Even in the zombie apocalypse, they wanna be there :D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:50:33 PM by dstppy »
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 07:12:44 PM »
July 2010, canon announced their 50,000,000th lens. (since EF in the 80s)
This week, Nikon announced they'd made their 65,000,000th lens. (since 1959)

Seeing as how a lot of the early Nikons can't be used on the modern bodies (and you need a chart to figure out which ones), they're probably about equal in terms of how many lenses are out there that can mount to each system (and canon has the advantage of being able to mount nikon lenses, but not vice-versa).

The lack of a 200-400 is also something that first came to my mind, but in primes they're probably equal, they both have 300/2.8, 400/2.8, 500/4, 600/4 (do nikon have an 800mm?), and canon had the 1200mm.

Canon tried to make the 400/4 DO a birding lens, seeing as it's smaller and lighter because of the DO element, but I don't think it really took off from IQ issues.

Bodies aside, I think 3rd-party lenses are the go for birding, sigma has the 150/170-500, the grenade-launcher 200-500/2.8, and the uber-long 300-800mm (although I don't know how well the IQ is on any of these)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 07:37:12 PM »
Bodies aside, I think 3rd-party lenses are the go for birding, sigma has the 150/170-500, the grenade-launcher 200-500/2.8, and the uber-long 300-800mm (although I don't know how well the IQ is on any of these)

I used to shoot all Sigma as I felt that the price of Canon's glass wasn't really justified by the gap in quality.  for most lenses, especially in the standard lengths, attached to an APS-C body, I still feel that way.

however, I was majorly let down by the Sigma 150-500 OS.  even stopped down, it has harsh, grainy bokeh, the focus is often slightly off, and the overally image quality isn't great -- and this is shooting on a good monopod at high shutter speeds (1/500 and faster) at good apertures (f/8 and smaller).  the 100-300 is fairly decent but lacks OS and reach.  at the end of the day, I'd much rather shoot my current 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II + 2x III extender and crop down to a 500mm equivalent, rather than shoot on the Sigma at 500mm.  it's a night and day difference, and to me, totally justifies the price difference.e

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 07:54:39 PM »
Okay, while everyone waits for the announcement (or possibly non-announcement) of a new DSLR, I thought I'd start a new topic for entertainment purposes.

New movie out in the U.S. "The Big Year" is a semi-comedy about competitive bird watching. I couldn't help but notice the incredible job of product placement done by Nikon. Basically, everyone in the movie (aside from one scene using an Olympus) was using a Nikon camera or Nikon binoculars usually with a Nikon-branded strap prominently displayed.

I didn't see a single Canon in the movie. Just a coincidence I'm sure. :)

I don't know what models of DSLRs they were using, but I was amazed at the pictures they all seemed to capture, especially since most of them seemed to be using kit lenses. I guess I must be doing something wrong.

So, let's have some fun. What's your favorite/most amusing/most preposterous film scene involving a camera? What clever photo product placements have you seen in the movies or on television recently?
Nowadays ,Moviemaker is doing "hiden Advertisement "also. The movie make show off the product  in the movie plot with pre-agreement thet the manufacture will pay a fee to the movie maker. As you examplesays , all binoculars and cameras are Nikon (except one sceene). If it is not prearranged, I cannot think of  any other reason.

michaelm

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 08:32:59 PM »
I always like to look for cameras that have the label covered up and try to guess the model. But other than cameras I'm always amused when all the Mac's with funny labels like a pear shape or some other object to obscure the Apple logo.

One thing I bet makes us all laugh is the photo editing software on cop shows or spy shows. I like how they will bring up a totally blurred image and type a couple of keys and suddenly the image creates data that was not there and suddenly the image looks great. Or when they magically hit a single key and the editing software turns an object around or creates a face that is behind a post or tree or something.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 08:32:59 PM »

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 10:50:13 PM »
One thing I bet makes us all laugh is the photo editing software on cop shows or spy shows. I like how they will bring up a totally blurred image and type a couple of keys and suddenly the image creates data that was not there and suddenly the image looks great. Or when they magically hit a single key and the editing software turns an object around or creates a face that is behind a post or tree or something.

apparently they have access to the Adobe de-blurring tool!  http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2011-sneak-peeks/max-2011-sneak-peek-image-deblurring/ ... I still can't believe this is real, but Adobe seems to be pretty serious about it.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 11:03:35 PM »

apparently they have access to the Adobe de-blurring tool!  http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2011-sneak-peeks/max-2011-sneak-peek-image-deblurring/ ... I still can't believe this is real, but Adobe seems to be pretty serious about it.

There are a few algorithms that can sharpen images but most likely this is just an implementation of a Richardson-Lucy Deconvolution.   Already available for free in RawTherapee.  It works best for simple camera movements that caused the blur... it's less effective or non-effective for complex or multiple movements (for example camera shake + lateral movement).

weixing

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 12:31:06 AM »
Hi,
   If I remember correctly,  Nikon had a large range of binoculars and spotting scope, but Canon only had a limited range of IS binoculars (all are quite expensive), so I'm not surprise to see that Nikon equipment are more common in visual birders... I use a Canon 60D with EF 400mm F5.6L for birding photography, but use a Nikon binocular for searching the birds.

Anyway, in birding photography, Nikon and Canon are both as common. In fact, for entry birder who are on budget (like me), Canon might be a better choice as it had the very good budget birders lens, EF 400mm F5.6L, which Nikon don't have. Also, used Canon Super Telephoto lens are more common and cheaper in the used market than Nikon version.

Have a nice day.

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 01:32:37 AM »
Do most police forces use Nikon?  They're always using Nikons in CSI, NCIS, Dexter, The Wire, Law and Order etc.  Most always have the logo prominently displayed on the camera strap, so I assume its paid product placement. 

Its interesting seeing old cameras in movies.  In the Godfather, there is a wedding photographer with a Sinar large format camera.  Couldn't imagine anyone doing that these days.  Rear Window is another of my favourite "camera" movies with James Stewart showing his photographic prowess.  Just googled it and found it is an "Exakta" that he uses.  Product placement hasn't really helped LF camera sales or Exakta.  Do people pay much attention to it?
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 02:35:11 AM »
Rear Window is another of my favourite "camera" movies with James Stewart showing his photographic prowess.  Just googled it and found it is an "Exakta" that he uses.  Product placement hasn't really helped LF camera sales or Exakta.  Do people pay much attention to it?

In the Rear "Rear Window", the Exakta name plate was covered up. So people do not know what it is unless you own one. Inthose days, movie maker do the opposite. They try the best not to show any name band to avoid law suite. Exakta is an "odd ball". Everything is left-handed.

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 03:54:55 AM »
it is all about product placement these days...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 03:54:55 AM »

sparda79

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tingkap Vistaku
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 04:29:06 AM »
I know Austin Stevens and I've seen Jeff Corwin using a Canon on their nature shows. But I doubt they are product placements.

Also the reporter 'Miguel Diaz' in Early Edition used a Canon film SLR.
5D Mark III
24-105L | 50L | 100L | 70-200L II | 2x III

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 04:36:54 AM »
Not a movie but recently on TV news I saw a photographer with a 70-200 after a sporting event trying to take a few snaps of competitors holding the camera in the the air what must have been 50cm from the subject. Hope they had a few extension tubes in place ::).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 04:36:54 AM »