November 27, 2014, 03:27:34 AM

Author Topic: Photokina 2010 Report  (Read 41028 times)

MadButcher

Re: Photokina 2010 Report
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 08:04:02 AM »
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2010/Canon/

indeed nothing new :(

I seriously thinking about to switch to Nikon (D700), as many pro's did.
The AF of a 5D mk2 is not what I want.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 08:04:02 AM »

danmix

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 08:08:16 AM »
what's the conversation around the sigma SD1.  with 46mp, and the 50/85 combo, at the right price may cause a move from Canon.  Also the schneider TS lens and Samayng 35mm look interesting as well.  Do you expect any announcements from Canon at any stage during Photokina

richy

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 08:23:11 AM »
I cant see a 5d3 coming out before a 1ds4 unless it keeps the same sensor or doesnt have the same sensor as the 1ds4 (unlikely as canon seem to be moving towards minimising the # of sensor designs).

As for moving to Nikon and a d700, its a great camera but often it works out that switching to a 1d4 is abt the same as an upgrade as replacing the canon glass (depending on how much glass you have).  Given the costs involved renting or borrowing one to play with would be good :)

I am a little shocked that theres been no big announcements so far.

Would love to see a file from the s30, 840mm on a tiny sensor must be nutso quality :)

Any chance CR guy can get some shots with the 70-300L @300mm?

DeeWee

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 08:28:08 AM »
I could be persuaded to contribute positively in exchange for a reward upgrade from the golf shirt to, let's say a Leica M9 body (would provide my own lens), thanks! I promise I will never use it randomly as a p&s camera, fine art portrait and female body studies exclusively...

Mr.Magic

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 5DmkIII baby!
    • View Profile
    • Photography Dennis Hens
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 08:49:19 AM »
Come on Canon, why not catch up on Nikon...? Just make a decent FF with low MP -> less noise, and for less money. This is really a disappointment.
I heard in my camera shop various rumours from the sales men (i know, don't trust them), but 1 was always coming back for the last 3 months: Canon would introduce a new FF camera for not that much money after the summer.
Might there still be a possibility of an announcement today, or this evening at Photokina? (Probably I'm still hoping for something that won't come)

What I do like: specs of D7000, 3D lens for new four thirds panasonic, SD1 dslr, sony nex line-up, however, I will conitunue to shoot canon, we all will, won't we :)
5DIII | 24-70mm f2.8 L USM | 70-200 f4 L IS USM | 580EXII | 50mm f1.8

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 08:56:49 AM »
indeed nothing new :(

Not true!  There's plenty of new stuff.  There's the 60D, the G12, the SX 30, and the S95.  And that doesn't even begin to cover it.  CRguy didn't even bother to report the great new Canon calculator offerings!!

Oh, wait, you mean there's nothing exciting.  Well, hard to argue with that...  The G12, yawn.  The SX 30, gimmicky.  The 60D, plasticky, gimmicky, and downgrady.  The S95, nice - that's why I just bought one (but it's still not exciting, and I would have bought the S90 if the S95 wasn't out).

The AF of a 5D mk2 is not what I want.

What, you don't like the AF of the original 5D?  Canon must like it, they gave it to the 5DII as well.  They gave a better AF system to the 40D - so good that they kept it for the 50D and the 60D.  Woot.  I secretly think the next body from Canon will follow suit from the 50D -> 60D 'upgrade' and they will release a 7DII with a plastic body and the 60D's (I mean, 40D's) AF system.  But they'll put a 25 megapixel sensor in it, which will make it soooooooo much better.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

MLWadester

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 09:00:17 AM »
I think the SX30 has some legit advantages.  I'm really excited to see the HS in action on it especially at the 840 mm and I'll enjoy seeing how consumers react to the lithium-ion battery.

As for the 60D I think it is a huge disappointment that Canon has really let a lot of people down with.  Single SD card slot, plastic body, the fact that you have to push a button in order to turn the selector dial, a back down of 5.3 fps, and the fact that it is the same 9 point AF.  I like the articulating screen but who doesn't?  Outside of that I think it is a blown up T2i.  Pretty unimpressed, overall.  I think the fact that the D7000 is coming with dual SD slots, magnesium, 6 fps, 39 AF points, subject tracking AF, and their 2 user settings all for only $100 more.  This all before it is even out.  I think Canon has really dropped the ball on this one.

For the X100, I like the design.  Although I don't think the retailer that I work for will ever have one in stock I would enjoy toying with one.  Incredibly surprised by Fuji coming out with something so refreshing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 09:00:17 AM »

Mr.Magic

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 5DmkIII baby!
    • View Profile
    • Photography Dennis Hens
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2010, 09:11:49 AM »
Actually, we are complaining (and we have our decent reasons to do so), but if you look at Nikon, they also didn't release the successor of the D700, or any full frame camera in general...

It's just that the 60D is not as good as the D7000, but there will be enough potential photogs to use it, as said by CR Guy, it looks really good in ergonomics, the screen, etc!
But for me, it's about FF, which both major camera manufacturers did not release. Well, it might be a disappointment, but Nikonians do have the same situation...

What I also like, is the new SX30, apparantly great IS (what I didn't expect).
Other new compacts: s95 and G12 is just the addition of video, which is also a bit of a disappointment...

Things to remember: No FF at all was released...  :-\
5DIII | 24-70mm f2.8 L USM | 70-200 f4 L IS USM | 580EXII | 50mm f1.8

richy

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010, 09:26:51 AM »
The 60d was always going to be tough to position as the 7d was awesome for very little cost (from a professional perspective, I think I paid 1200 usd after bing cashback and canon rebate) so after giving it a great sensor and the screen they had to criple it somehow. I think if canon are to continue down the road of only having a few sensor designs I would expect them to continue moving product lines about. Lines are somewhat blurred, the 7D wasnt a full step up from the 50D, more a half step, so the xxd range had to take a small hit to make enough distance between it and the 7d for both to sell. I think they made their lives difficult by making the t2i so good (for the money).
The 5d2 af was half heartedly upgraded from the 5d, but its far from bad. Many pros (myself included) have no issues with it assuming you accept it only has one great af point. That sensor for that $ is awesome, they had to put a semi crippled af in otherwise who would buy the 1ds3? If you want better af the answer is easy, canon already made that camera, the 1ds3. Otherwise moving to Nikon is a valid move assuming you dont have a lot of $ in glass.

Re no (exciting) announcements , very true, I was looking for new glass and new bodies and besides the already announced 60d there wasn't any.

The fuji had me up until I saw fixed lens. No doubt this is an ideal camera for some people but I would pay an extra $250 for it to have a lens mount and them release a eqivilent 24mm 1.8. 35 1.8, 50 1.4, 85 1.4 and 135 2.0.
5 lenses and that body could make them some money! Failing that they could make one prime and something like a 24-85 1.8 or 2.0 zoom (oly make 2.0 zooms so not impossible) , then the only thing left is ensuring the af is decent and its a great camera :)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Photokina 2010 Continued
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2010, 09:43:24 AM »

The bad

A little unexpectedly, Canon is quite coy with all their new gear.

I cannot touch the following stuff (I missed a press event with Canon yesterday). Remember I AM on my honeymoon. :)

• EF 8-15  f/4L

• EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS

• EF 300 f/2.8L IS II

• EF 400 f/2.8L IS II

The 4K Prototype camera is unavailable to see, as is the white concept camera that were at Canon Expo in NYC.

Now onto stuff I can touch

The Canon Mouse Calculator

This this is as beautiful in person as it is on the internet. Apparently you can type on the keypad and populate an Excel spreadsheet cell. You psyched? Canon never forgets accountants are people too.

The Canon G12

I played with the G12 and the P7000 from Nikon. I am giving an unbiased mini-review of the 2 cameras.

I much preferred the G12, it’s a far more refined product. It feels better in the hand and is much better ergonomically. The Nikon has the feeling of buttons and dials everywhere. If you put the 2 cameras side by side and play around with them. I do believe most people are going to agree.

We’ll have to wait on the image quality showdown.

PowerShot S95

I'm going to buy the S95

I ran into Are from www.akam.no, a Norweigan photography web site. He let me play around with his S95 loaner from Canon Norway. I must say Canon has indeed fixed the issue of the rear wheel being too loose. On that alone, I will be buying the S95. I loved the S90 outside of that.

More Canon Photos

More to come later on today. My head is spinning, there’s so much to see!

Leica

Howabout when we can buy a Summilux 50?!

I will be posting about the Leica booth later today. I was able to play around with the Noctilux as well as a few other M lenses on my wishlist.

Their booth was busy and quite classy.

cr

canonrumors.com

richy

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2010, 09:50:40 AM »
I just saw the con't blog.

Its harsh they wont let you try those lenses, some sites have preproduction sample reviews already. Don't they know who you are lol! Would have loved to see some samples. They must have pretty much finalized the design already as its due to RTM soon right?

Thanks for all the pictures! Enjoy that honeymoon.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2010, 09:53:28 AM »
CRguy didn't even bother to report the great new Canon calculator offerings!!

CRguy didn't even bother to report the great new Canon calculator offerings!! I was wrong - he just did.  And I must say...WOW!  A mouse that's also a calculator.  A calculator that's also a mouse.  Just...WOW.  I am so blown away by this that I don't even know what to say!  How many decimal places do I need to express my amazement at this incredible new device from Canon?  I tell you, even a 1DsIV priced less than a T2i couldn't beat this new device for the #1 spot in Canon's product line.

jmin916

Re: Photokina 2010 Continued
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2010, 09:57:52 AM »
Any sense of when the S95 will be available to the public? I've been impatiently awaiting its arrival!  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2010, 09:57:52 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2010, 10:01:48 AM »
Any sense of when the S95 will be available to the public? I've been impatiently awaiting its arrival!  ;D

???  I've had mine for over two weeks...ordered it from Adorama, they had it in stock then.  They're out now, but B&H has them...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 10:03:57 AM by neuroanatomist »

Mellowyellow888

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2010, 10:07:10 AM »
Is there any big announcements planned today?

I'm salivating over the prospects that there will be a 24-75mm IS...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2010, 10:07:10 AM »